• Filip Larsson

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Lots of picks that are highly regarded top 5 range players become solid, but not exceptional players. Now whether that's a waste or not, maybe so, but look over the drafts and the list is littered with Mika Zibanejad's and Nino Niederreiter's.

Mika Zibanejad is coming off a season where he had numbers comparable (but a little worse) to Larkin. A near ppg center with size isn't a bad pick up at that position. And Niederreiter is a puzzle, I blame the Islander's bad juju.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Mika Zibanejad is coming off a season where he had numbers comparable (but a little worse) to Larkin. A near ppg center with size isn't a bad pick up at that position. And Niederreiter is a puzzle, I blame the Islander's bad juju.

There's a dozen other examples I could give you. It's a real grab bag after the first couple picks. If you're expecting a surefire star at #6, you're in for some hurt. You can probably anticipate a very good player.

My regret is the Wings didn't take Quinn Hughes, honestly.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Will do later tonight.

Thank you for taking this on. I have stuff at the end of this month that would really conflict with it was a part of why I haven't wanted to start this project.

As a general note, I get that we decide these fast. I also understand putting up #2 later tonight, zero issues. However, if we could give these a full day, I know a few years back I had three days and it took too long, but I want at least a day so all of our members can have a discussion and offer their adds. We have a far flung fan-base and one of the better European fan-bases in my opinion, so I think a day is pretty fair so that everyone can have some input. It is still a pretty long off-season, I understand wanting to vote for #2 but the crowd that immediately needs to move on might need to calm down a bit from time to time. Mid-September isn't that close, we don't need to rush through our prospect rankings in a week in my opinion.

If it shapes up another way I get it, but to start at least I would like at least 24 hours between polls.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Between Mastrosimone, Phillips, and Kotkansalo... going to have to try to watch some BU.

Kontkansalo is a very good player. I hope he gets a contract at the end of this year. He to me is a lot like Nemeth in terms of why we just signed that guy. Good skater, heavy player with a decent first pass. He didn't have the best year last year, but I still believe he can earn a contract.

Barton's path got a bit busier on the right side, but I like his tool box. He is a nice prospect to have marinating. That is the one thing if we can hit on Barton, Lindstrom, Kontkansalo we are starting to get an interesting group. We talk a lot about the higher draft pick guys and Lindstrom would be in that picture, but we are going to need some luck on a few lower round guys, it would be nice if lady luck smiled on one of these project D-man. I like the tools on some of them, Barton and Regula I thought both had excellent post-draft seasons.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Thank you for taking this on. I have stuff at the end of this month that would really conflict with it was a part of why I haven't wanted to start this project.

As a general note, I get that we decide these fast. I also understand putting up #2 later tonight, zero issues. However, if we could give these a full day, I know a few years back I had three days and it took too long, but I want at least a day so all of our members can have a discussion and offer their adds. We have a far flung fan-base and one of the better European fan-bases in my opinion, so I think a day is pretty fair so that everyone can have some input. It is still a pretty long off-season, I understand wanting to vote for #2 but the crowd that immediately needs to move on might need to calm down a bit from time to time. Mid-September isn't that close, we don't need to rush through our prospect rankings in a week in my opinion.

If it shapes up another way I get it, but to start at least I would like at least 24 hours between polls.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I posted the first one around 3 am EST, give or take, my general thought was 48 hours between polls, but this one seems MOSTLY tidied up, so I'll cut it a day short.

Leibinger6

Jul 26, 2018
Is Taro Hirose a prospect? If so he 100% is the best player currently in this list of players and I wouldn’t be surprised if he remained the best in ~5 years. 7 pts in his first 10 NHL games, and looked great in development camp. People underestimate what a steal he really was as an undrafted signing.

Reactions: Gniwder

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Is Taro Hirose a prospect? If so he 100% is the best player currently in this list of players and I wouldn’t be surprised if he remained the best in ~5 years. 7 pts in his first 10 NHL games, and looked great in development camp. People underestimate what a steal he really was as an undrafted signing.

He only played 10 games, so I think that still constitutes a prospect.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I voted for Taco, considering he will more than likely spend the season in the NHL while the rest are still unknown prospects. He'll be the only one not on the list next year.

I think Veleno has the higher potential than Zadina (in terms of importance to the team) and not sure how to rate Seider until I see him play.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border

Agreed the 24 hour minimum is good and we are approaching that mark.

Keep in mind that these typically get around 100 votes in the Wings section and we are past that mark.

Also the polling is not even close.

We all know after the first few prospects is where the real discussion takes place, and only cause the poll is closed does not mean the discussion is over.

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio
My vote was for Zadina.

This year 1-3 is super close, I could hear arguments for either Veleno or Seider and understand where a person is coming from.

Also someone a little over looked besides these last couple pages is Hirose. If your going for the best player as of today, he’s definitely the guy.

Why did I pick Z? He clearly has the biggest upside and I really liked what I’ve seen the couple games I seen in GR. During his call up though is what separated him from the rest of the pack. While he didn’t produce, you can see it and it only looks like it’s gonna be time till he’s a star.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Between Mastrosimone, Phillips, and Kotkansalo... going to have to try to watch some BU.

You'll get your prospect fix but it may not be pretty. The wheels have come off the bus at B.U. lately. Even in Dave Quinn's last year they were shockingly mediocre relative to their talent pool. I was a little worried about Kotkansalo's development last year, but we'll see how it plays out. B.U. has traditionally produced very solid N.H.L. players.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You'll get your prospect fix but it may not be pretty. The wheels have come off the bus at B.U. lately. Even in Dave Quinn's last year they were shockingly mediocre relative to their talent pool. I was a little worried about Kotkansalo's development last year, but we'll see how it plays out. B.U. has traditionally produced very solid N.H.L. players.

Adding a bunch of kids from the USDP should be a shot in the arm to that program.

I think Jake Wise should take a step next year. Zegras and Wise as your top 2 centers could be one of the better duos in college hockey. Hopefully McCarthy slots in as the partner for Kotkansalo on the top pairing, they could be good together.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Zadina was highest ranking player we drafted in the past decade or so . It doesn't make him better than Svechnikov or Veleno . He needs to show that he improve . For example ,can he produce point per game at AHL?. I believe Rasmussen or Veleno could , not sure about Zadina.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I'm surprised (but maybe I shouldn't be) that we have some people with opinions based on recency bias. Seider is the new shiny toy which means he has "a lot of potential" and "high upside" while Zadina is the old toy who is "underwhelming" and "missing elite potential".
You don't do well with people not sharing your opinions do you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad