• Gustav Lindstrom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Filip Larsson

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bandito

Jun 21, 2019
Account is too new to vote but I agree with the consensus. It's Zadina for me and at this moment it's not particularly close. Love his skillset and tenacity and think he's gonna surprise a lot of people this year.

Reactions: RabidBadger

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think picking Seider while knocking Zadina who was picked in the exact same draft slot from a year prior is where people are losing me. If you want to pick Seider because of Seider, I would personally disagree, but I would understand and respect it. But a lot of people are actually downgrading Zadina's upside and potential as a justification for Seider being picked number one. While it is technically an opinion that you are free to have, a lot of it is founded in minimal exposure and a lack of gaudy statistics jumping from the Q to professional NA hockey. People were (wrongfully) expecting 30+ highlight reel goals and dominating the AHL, and when they didn't see their social media feeds overflowing, they jumped ship and said "well I guess he isn't that good after all" and are now cherry picking the next big thing the team has added who hasn't faced the adversity of making a jump to a much higher skill level league.

There is a lot of truth in here. Quite frankly people have had a very difficult time setting expectations with the draftees since we started the rebuild. As a fan base we did not have a ton of experience watching and following top 10 draft picks and are having a hard time assessing what is developmentally appropriate for players in their D+1 and 2 years. If someone is telling you that Zadina is not as good as they thought he was, chances are: a) they did not watch him in juniors and are frustrated with the style of his game, b) don't know what a typical sixth overall pick looks like in a D+1 year, or c) just had unrealistic expectations to begin with. Marian Hossa at 19 is not the Marian Hossa that people are thinking about.

Seider has a ton going for him, but it is reasonable to insist upon some post-draft development given where he was taken.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Every article about the kid mentioned Hossa, that's the point. Where did I possibly get the idea Hossa was a comparable! And no, I don't hold it against him, I just don't see that level of impact player from the wing. In contrast, I see a much more complete package in the, admittedly raw, new top defender draft pick.

I mean I'm calling my shot from home plate by giving Seider the nod. Of course that could blow up in my face, but this thread will be more fun in 5 years with me doing the Babe Ruth.
Marian Hossa had 1 assist in 7 NHL games at 19.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Playing what 10 minutes a night?

There aren't many players who are gonna put up big numbers playing 10 minutes a night.

playing pretty much identical ice time to what Zadina got in the NHL this year(15 minutes with 2 and a half of that being on the powerplay)

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

There aren't many players who are gonna put up big numbers playing 10 minutes a night.

Zadina - 1.30 P/60 through 9 games (considering he played 138 minutes)
Hossa - 0.86 P/60 through 7 games (using your assumption that he played 70 minutes)

And then Hossa went on to finish second in the Calder voting the following year. The point illustrated is that assuming the Hossa comparison is invalid based on Zadina's first 9 games in the NHL is misleading.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Idk, they don't have TOI logs for his rookie season, but bench was saying he didn't look like he'd have a Hossa-like impact on the game, Hossa wasn't Hossa at 19. He was a kid that put up 85 in the W then 1 point in 7 games in the NHL.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Is that because you expect Zadina to grab the cheese and not look back thus making him graduated?:naughty:

I wouldn't be mad at that.
I think Seider will break out and turn heads this year. Just my gut feeling on the kid but I think he will become our best player. I'm on the Seider hype train.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Moreso don't see Zadina having that same two-way impact. But I'd love to be super wrong.

I'm still excited about his scoring upside.

How valuable do you think someone like Filip Forsberg is? That's the type of impact I think we will get if he hits his potential.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
gets ones hopes up seeing this solid list with choski-razz-hronek already up and larky-mantha-aa-2Z already proving themselves . adds up to over 10 guys with good odds to become one of the top 11 (1goalie-6forwards-4dmen) . my dark horse to become best out of all them is choski , he showed flashes of excellence as a kid in nhl .

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Zadina easily, he's the only guy in the pool I see as having elite ceiling. Seider I have warmed up, and think he's easily the 2nd best prospect with a ceiling of career top pairing dman. I am of the opinion of the next two wild card players (Veleno and McIsaac) that McIsaac has the better chance of reaching his ceiling.

So my top five are:
Zadina
Seider
McIsaac
Veleno
Svech

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Veleno. I can see him having a career like Larkin is having.

I think Zadina will be another Nyquist/Mantha. Solid top 6 winger, but unspectacular.

Reactions: Henkka

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Moreso don't see Zadina having that same two-way impact. But I'd love to be super wrong.

I'm still excited about his scoring upside.

I have never been quite as high on Zadina as a lot of the hockey world. But I still took him by a hair here. Really that is his goal scoring upside. I don't think he is a versatile guy in the Hossa mold. He more closely mirrors the Kucherov or Pasternak style, in terms of shifty skill guys. Tremendous offensive ceiling, I don't buy him as the 40 plus guy, maybe in a peak season. I don't see a guy that creates enough space on his own but it is early.

I remember that name being invoked before. He isn't that kind of prospect physically or athletically at least not yet. I would have that issue with Forsberg as well @Frk It in terms of I think he is a smoother athlete. Still Zadina does have all-star offensive ability that flashes and looks like a lot of successful guys in the league in my opinion.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Veleno. I can see him having a career like Larkin is having.

I think Zadina will be another Nyquist/Mantha. Solid top 6 winger, but unspectacular.
Then he will be a complete waste of the #6 pick, and almost every analyst and scout was wrong about him.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Then he will be a complete waste of the #6 pick, and almost every analyst and scout was wrong about him.

Lots of picks that are highly regarded top 5 range players become solid, but not exceptional players. Now whether that's a waste or not, maybe so, but look over the drafts and the list is littered with Mika Zibanejad's and Nino Niederreiter's.

Reactions: MBauer and TheClap

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have never been quite as high on Zadina as a lot of the hockey world. But I still took him by a hair here. Really that is his goal scoring upside. I don't think he is a versatile guy in the Hossa mold. He more closely mirrors the Kucherov or Pasternak style, in terms of shifty skill guys. Tremendous offensive ceiling, I don't buy him as the 40 plus guy, maybe in a peak season. I don't see a guy that creates enough space on his own but it is early.

I remember that name being invoked before. He isn't that kind of prospect physically or athletically at least not yet. I would have that issue with Forsberg as well @Frk It in terms of I think he is a smoother athlete. Still Zadina does have all-star offensive ability that flashes and looks like a lot of successful guys in the league in my opinion.

I thought the skating with Zadina looked surprisingly good during his NHL stint. It looked better than I was expecting, at least.

Forsberg is actually a little bigger than I thought he was if his listed measurements are correct. Really my point more there was I think Zadina can become a really good offensive player, like a consistent 30 goal/60-70 pt winger. No clue if he will end up being a 2 way force or not, but I at least like how he projects offensively.

To me that’s a pretty significant piece. So I want to see something from Seider that shows some offensive projection first before I slot him #1.

Projecting defenseman is tough, it really is harder to do.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see him living up to the expectations. I don't see it in his game on a day-to-day basis, only in the highlight reels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad