Pre-Game Talk: Drop a deuce: Part Trois?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
They had him swimming a couple times at the start of OT last game but no finish ofc
We were clearly the better team in that OT and most of the game. The last thing we should do is over react

Keep the D the same. Make a couple adjustments in the bottom six.

Keep playing Smith. It would have been nice to give him a break in the back to back but the team in front of him didnt get it done, so we cant afford to give him that.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
If Tippett changes the defense I'd be shocked. This team can't do anything on the cycle cause the D literally don't have any ability to do anything including d to d passes when you have a line up with Larsson/4k/Kulikov in it I don't understand how Tippett doesn't see this.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
The refs are using playoff rules. In the playoffs interference and all kinds of obstruction are not called, and that favours the Jets in a massive way. So its not that the Jets are getting favourable reffing, the Oilers are interfering and obstructing as well, but it really quiets down our 2 most potent weapons.

The way to beat the Jets is fairly simple but not guaranteed as a trap team as deep and large as the Jets are with large defensemen (and the 2 smaller guys they have in Morrissey and Pionk can skate) and a Vezina winning goalie are tough to beat.

We need to play a 2-1-2 with the 2 low forwards feeding the point and then getting their asses to the net for garbage and tips with the 3rd man high playing a swing to prevent breakouts. It is also how we will get penalty calls as its clear the refs aren't giving a crap about calling interference and obstruction, so let them call the slashing, roughing and cross checking in front of the net.

It isn't pretty and it eliminates the skill of a McDavid and Draisaitl but they are being forced to the outside anyway. They will still get their rush chances but the problem is its one and done and we are defending again. If we make this simple adjustment we have a chance but we need speedier forwards in there so I would put in Nygard, Shore, Haas.

If the Oilers want to attack with finesse we will lose this series.

I think if the Oilers went to this strategy of constantly pounding pucks from the point that once the Jets adjust to this strategy it will open up other options off the half wall and down low. The Oilers need to be quick with their puck movement though and stop looking for the extra pass or for a passing lane to open up because they end up getting closed down quickly by the Jets.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
They sure didn't sound angry about losing.
You're not in the dressing room or around them privately. Probably more frustrated than anything. And if they start showing anger in their post game interviews, that plays right in to the Jets hands.

Reactions: TB12

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Draisaitl also needs to start moving his feet. Last night he was into his stickhandling in a phone booth mode. When he decides to skate, things should open up a bit for McDavid and that line.

Reactions: AT14C

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't understand the hate Kassian is getting after this game. He's literally one of the few forwards finishing their checks on Jets defensemen. And looking at how shallow their unit is, that should be happening far more frequently.

This team needs to set the tone physically. If that means taking a few penalties, so be it. Allowing the refs to put their whistles away doesn't benefit the Edmonton Oilers, who possess strong units on both the PP and PK.
To be honest, I really didn't notice Kassian last night, in any way shape or form. And that's not a good thing, because he needs to be noticed by physical play. If he brings that on a consistent basis the whole game, then he can be valuable. But right now, it's not really happening.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
To be honest, I really didn't notice Kassian last night, in any way shape or form. And that's not a good thing, because he needs to be noticed by physical play. If he brings that on a consistent basis the whole game, then he can be valuable. But right now, it's not really happening.

The Pentagon is set to release its much anticipated report on UFO's so perhaps they will also shed some light on Mr. Kassian and his activities.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You're not in the dressing room or around them privately. Probably more frustrated than anything. And if they start showing anger in their post game interviews, that plays right in to the Jets hands.
They should've been angry as hell about losing game 1. They let the Jets run their show right off the hop in Game 2 and very easily could've been down by a goal or two.

If they come out with more of this limp dick hockey that we're seeing then the Jets will sweep.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
We COULD still win the series but I confess my mind is already on the offseason now.

At least we won’t have to give up a third for Kulikov.. lol.

The pro scouting department better do their f***ing jobs properly for once.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Are you in the the Bahamas?

My phone app lied to me :sarcasm:

Unpopular, but team is done again. Suspect leadership in playoffs, no depth, and poor coaching gets you where they are.

Pitchforks are out for mcdavid. And comparison to MacKinnon is ongoing if your starting a team, rightly so.

Also, connors shoveling the issues under the rug in post game aren't helpful. They didn't deserve to win, wasn't just a bounce.

Agreed with this ‘unpopular’ opinion. If the depth vastly improves and this repeats next season leadership what excuses are left?

Also, the reffing hasn’t been consistent for either side and barely any calls, again for either side, but the Oilers had two golden opportunities to win this 1-0 in regulation and squandered it

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
The long weekend has a real suck feel to it so far. Between crypto and the Oilers, it hasn’t been a great few days. At least I’m pretty sure crypto will recover. Not sure about the Oilers.

Add to that the weather and COVID restrictions. Might as well go full suck.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Kassian needs to come out of the lineup. They should go back to the lineup that was successful after the deadline. Get Shore/Ennis in, maybe take out one of Neal/Chiasson.

Reactions: BoldNewLettuce

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
People saying Hellebuyck hasn't made incredible saves are watching a different game. He stopped a puck facing the wrong way in game 1. Multiple left pad saves on shots he probably couldn't even see coming last night. The Oilers should have more goals through two games. But McDavid and Draisaitl need to find a way to produce something. Even strength is one thing, but the Oilers lost last night because they couldn't get it done on the PP. This goes without saying, but if the two of them don't break out in game 3, the series is over.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
When will the Oilers pull a Canes/Blues and go out there and publicly call out the league for the treatment of McDavid? I bet the refs call more after something like that. Where is Holland or Nicholson to put weight behind that?

Other unrelated thing: Draisaitl in this series seems a bit off on those cross ice attempts he scores on often.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
When will the Oilers pull a Canes/Blues and go out there and publicly call out the league for the treatment of McDavid? I bet the refs call more after something like that. Where is Holland or Nicholson to put weight behind that?

Other unrelated thing: Draisaitl in this series seems a bit off on those cross ice attempts he scores on often.
That would require caring more about winning than being fined. They have their "boy scout image" to keep up.

Reactions: Paralyzer008

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

It's a double edged sword to call it out now. As I said in the Tippett thread, Brindamour did it right by calling them out despite being up in the series but losing last night. The Oilers do it now, it looks like sour grapes because they're down 2 games.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
We COULD still win the series but I confess my mind is already on the offseason now.

At least we won’t have to give up a third for Kulikov.. lol.

The pro scouting department better do their f***ing jobs properly for once.

The fact that the new players who have been added do not move the needle for the team tell me that this is not a personnel issue. The players who are already here are decent enough.

The issue is gameplanning and in game adjustments.

Game 1 -Period 1 - Oilers come out playing a skilled game. Jets come out hitting and thwart the Oilers' efforts. Oilers out coached.
Game 1 - Periods 2 and 3 - Oilers come out in the second period and try to match the Jets physical play. Jets sit back, wait for Oilers mistakes, and then capitalize.

Game 2 - Period 1 - Jets forecheck like crazy. Oilers need to adjust again. Oilers not prepared for the gameplan of the Jets.
Game 2 - Periods 2 and 3 - Oilers can't beat the goalie. Part of the problem is that the Oilers taking lots of shots from perimeter and Jets goalie has no issue making those saves. Oilers cannot adjust. Also the Jets goalie is playing really well.

Conclusion - Oilers have enough skilled players to beat the Jets. Oilers coaches can't game plan properly and can't make in game adjustments. Tippett is a dinosaur who had success as a coach years ago playing a trap system and riding a hot goalie. He has no idea how to coach the best out of this roster of players.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's a double edged sword to call it out now. As I said in the Tippett thread, Brindamour did it right by calling them out despite being up in the series but losing last night. The Oilers do it now, it looks like sour grapes because they're down 2 games.
Who cares? Show that you care about your team. At least give them something to be fired up about. This coach couldn't motivate lemmings off a cliff.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Who cares? Show that you care about your team. At least give them something to be fired up about. This coach couldn't motivate lemmings off a cliff.

Because it won't make things better, it'll likely make them worse because the Oilers aren't a darling team of the league. The refs will just say "f*** you" and will either a) call nothing at all or b) call ticky tack shit on them here on out.

As much as I want someone to call these pricks out from the team, I think it'll cause more damage than good.

Reactions: BudBundy

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Because it won't make things better, it'll likely make them worse because the Oilers aren't a darling team of the league. The refs will just say "f*** you" and will either a) call nothing at all or b) call ticky tack shit on them here on out.

As much as I want someone to call these pricks out from the team, I think it'll cause more damage than good.
Even if it has that affect, I'd just as soon play hard for a coach that actually seems like he cares about the outcome of the game and is willing to risk a fine. Tippett is content to go quietly into the night as his stars get hooked and held into oblivion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad