Pre-Game Talk: Drop a deuce: Part Trois?

Status
Not open for further replies.

destro909

Jan 3, 2008
We need to split up McDavid and Draisaitl, there is no way we can win with a one-line team.

I’d also get Bouchard into the lineup. A huge shot from the point with bodies in front is how you solve a goalie like Hellebuyck.

Add Ennis and Shore to inject more offense into the bottom six and we might be in business.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Kassian had his chance. He’s been utterly ineffective. Time to sit.

Hit the blender.

RNH - McDavid - Yamo
Kahun - Draisaitl - PJ
Shore - JJ - Chaisson
Nygard - Haas - Archi

Nurse - Barrie
Kulikov - Larsson
Jones - Bear

I might go Bouchard over Jones just because the Oilers have had trouble getting shots through and he's really good at that. One or the other should be in over 4K though. I hadn't thought of putting Nygard in but he's probably good for drawing one penalty and the speed would be welcome. Too easy for the Jets to defend the Oilers right now so adding some speed and effort to the lineup will at the least give the Oilers a different look. I didn't like the idea of leaving Shore out to begin with. I like the idea of putting Jesse with Drai because Leon needs some physical support with the way the Jets are playing him. And yeah, leave McDavid and Draisaitl apart at 5 on 5 because together it's not working against the Jets right now.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Man, all of the sky is falling talk...classic HFOil. The Jets are playing a tight defensive game and all the credit to them, but the Oilers easily could have won both games with a bounce going their way instead of the Jets' way. They're not out of it and they've been a better team on the road this year anyways, so I still think they can come back and take this series. A few lineup changes and getting a bounce here or there could make all the difference.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Man, all of the sky is falling talk...classic HFOil. The Jets are playing a tight defensive game and all the credit to them, but the Oilers easily could have won both games with a bounce going their way instead of the Jets' way. They're not out of it and they've been a better team on the road this year anyways, so I still think they can come back and take this series. A few lineup changes and getting a bounce here or there could make all the difference.

I checked out of the forum when I read the support for trading McDavid and Draisaitl. It’s getting beyond stupid in here.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Sweep incoming.

The way the guys are pouting about not getting calls is infuriating. There’s been no real elevation in intensity for a playoff series, much like the series against the Hawks.

After we get swept, I suspect Tippett will be fired.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I might go Bouchard over Jones just because the Oilers have had trouble getting shots through and he's really good at that. One or the other should be in over 4K though. I hadn't thought of putting Nygard in but he's probably good for drawing one penalty and the speed would be welcome. Too easy for the Jets to defend the Oilers right now so adding some speed and effort to the lineup will at the least give the Oilers a different look. I didn't like the idea of leaving Shore out to begin with. I like the idea of putting Jesse with Drai because Leon needs some physical support with the way the Jets are playing him. And yeah, leave McDavid and Draisaitl apart at 5 on 5 because together it's not working against the Jets right now.

I actually had Bouchard in there instead of Jones place but replaced him with Jones right before I posted as I figure Tip won’t play him on his off side no matter what. But we need more shots from the point and more traffic in front from the bottom 9 and Bouchard does that well.

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
trying really hard to not be overly negative, or even criticize McDavid because of how amazing he is.

But is anyone else starting to get concerned about McDavids ability to make an impact in the playoffs? He seems to shrink every playoff run. He hasn't be able to find a way to fight through the extra attention he's getting.

I dunno... its pretty concnering when you're paying a guy 13 million dollars out of your cap and he's does f*** all in the post season. 2 ES points in 15 playoff games?

Yikes boys... this does not look good

Reactions: CravenMH

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
If this is the way the series is gonna get called, the team better just man up and play it that way. Fight through traffic instead of taking the long way around. D need to activate more. We saw a bit of that last night and it helped. In OT, I finally saw some traffic in front of Hellebuyck but in the first two games the Jets crease has been so clear you could park your car there. They can do this, but they need to adjust. Toronto or Montreal or anyone else we face is going to play the exact same way against us because it works.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
I honestly have no faith in Tippet. McDrai make him look like a passable NHL coach. He can't create offense out of anyone who isn't a superstar. The Jets are clogging everything up with relative ease. A speed line-up should be implemented. McLeod should be converted to wing and possibly moved up. Nuge, Yams, Kahun is a small slow line and should never have been iced. Horrible coaching. Nygard has chaos creating speed and if healthy should be in the line up. Haas also has speed and smarts. Better options then Ennis or Turris who the Jets will easily neutralize... allthough I could see Turris's perimeter playmaking work with Mcdavid. Also Shore has been better then Kassian this year and should be in the line-up. Kass looks done to me. He's hit the wall......ultimately the top 6 have to score, but more chaos is needed to throw the Jets and Hellybuck out of rhythm.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Jets were at no point in danger of losing either of the last two games.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Yeah that's right - the refs are in cahoots behind - the Winnipeg Jets. :rolleyes:

Yeah I don't tend to buy into this narrative either, however it's not inconceivable to think that it's possible and in the league's best interests for Toronto or Montreal to come out of the North given the size of those markets, so if Winnipeg who is an easier out for those two teams, beat the Oilers then it could be preferable in the league's eyes. The reason I doubt this narrative though is because if McDavid and the Oilers made it to the conference finals I think it would be a bigger draw in the States than the Leafs or Canadiens. Also, I think an Oilers-Leafs 2nd round series would likely draw more TV viewership across Canada than Leafs-Jets. If the league has done their marketing research though and that's not the case then yeah maybe there's a case to be made that the league would favour the Jets in this series.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

You need to create your own luck which the Oilers aren’t doing. Jets were all over us in the first and Smith made some incredible saves. I can’t think of an incredible save that Helly had to make these last 2 games. Every potential high danger shot chance has been blocked by the Jets. They’re keeps us to the perimeter.

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Unpopular, but team is done again. Suspect leadership in playoffs, no depth, and poor coaching gets you where they are.

Pitchforks are out for mcdavid. And comparison to MacKinnon is ongoing if your starting a team, rightly so.

Also, connors shoveling the issues under the rug in post game aren't helpful. They didn't deserve to win, wasn't just a bounce.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yeah I don't tend to buy into this narrative either, however it's not inconceivable to think that it's possible and in the league's best interests for Toronto or Montreal to come out of the North given the size of those markets, so if Winnipeg who is an easier out for those two teams, beat the Oilers then it could be preferable in the league's eyes. The reason I doubt this narrative though is because if McDavid and the Oilers made it to the conference finals I think it would be a bigger draw in the States than the Leafs or Canadiens. Also, I think an Oilers-Leafs 2nd round series would likely draw more TV viewership across Canada than Leafs-Jets. If the league has done their marketing research though and that's not the case then yeah maybe there's a case to be made that the league would favour the Jets in this series.

The refs are using playoff rules. In the playoffs interference and all kinds of obstruction are not called, and that favours the Jets in a massive way. So its not that the Jets are getting favourable reffing, the Oilers are interfering and obstructing as well, but it really quiets down our 2 most potent weapons.

The way to beat the Jets is fairly simple but not guaranteed as a trap team as deep and large as the Jets are with large defensemen (and the 2 smaller guys they have in Morrissey and Pionk can skate) and a Vezina winning goalie are tough to beat.

We need to play a 2-1-2 with the 2 low forwards feeding the point and then getting their asses to the net for garbage and tips with the 3rd man high playing a swing to prevent breakouts. It is also how we will get penalty calls as its clear the refs aren't giving a crap about calling interference and obstruction, so let them call the slashing, roughing and cross checking in front of the net.

It isn't pretty and it eliminates the skill of a McDavid and Draisaitl but they are being forced to the outside anyway. They will still get their rush chances but the problem is its one and done and we are defending again. If we make this simple adjustment we have a chance but we need speedier forwards in there so I would put in Nygard, Shore, Haas.

If the Oilers want to attack with finesse we will lose this series.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Don't think ill ruin the long weekend watching dead puck era hockey.

Reactions: Duke74
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad