Rumor: Dreger - Teams preparing to offer sheet Leafs' Marner PTII

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Dreger got his cheap heat and attention with this announcement. But what happens if Mitch gets 0 offers? What happens if no RFA gets an offer? He will look like such a fool.

Reactions: La Masse

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Marner really should have been negotiating during the season when he was unstoppably red hot.

He's been getting colder and colder and more mistake prone as the season has gone on. He'll have to pick it up if he wants to get the kind of payday people are talking about. Especially since Matthews looks primed to go on another hot streak.

His PDO is still on the high side too. I’d say fair chance he comes in under 100 points at this point. Which will certainly help the Leafs at the negotiation table

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Dreger got his cheap heat and attention with this announcement. But what happens if Mitch gets 0 offers? What happens if no RFA gets an offer? He will look like such a fool.
Nobody is going to give up 4 first round picks. That's team suicide. It's Kap who is in danger of the offer sheet. He's an absolute stud and the Leafs are probably planning on low-balling him because they overpaid Nylander so badly.

And as for Dreger, nobody could embarrass themselves more than Steve Simmons so he's shielded at the upper limits of media stupidity.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Nobody is going to give up 4 first round picks. That's team suicide. It's Kap who is in danger of the offer sheet. He's an absolute stud and the Leafs are probably planning on low-balling him because they overpaid Nylander so badly.

And as for Dreger, nobody could embarrass themselves more than Steve Simmons so he's shielded at the upper limits of media stupidity.

Yeah, 4 1st rounders is a no go. Think of how bad it felt the Leafs not having 2 after the Kessel trade.
You are 100%, Kapanen is a risk, not Marner or Matthews.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
SO Dreger has come out on radio and tv to say that teams are 100% preparing offer sheets for Mitch Marner.

Once July 1 comes around and there are no offer sheets and Marner resigns with the Leafs I will personally take Dreger down myself on social media. I hope for his sake that someone does offer sheet Marner at this point.
I've been exposing Dreger on here and on LeafsConnected for at least 8 years or more, some of the crap i had to put up with, you wouldn't believe!

about 2 years ago that started to change and finally people starting seeing the light, not saying i was the first ever, but certainly was the most vocal about his "insider" nonsense

Last edited:

TyRy434

Jan 23, 2019
Doubt it will happen. Id prob match at 10 Mil for Marner but thats the Max I would do. (and only if its 8 years). Can barely listen to Leafs Media anymore because 90% of all talk is Cap issues for the Maple Leafs...

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Dreger needs to spend less time in the buffet line and more time doing his job. Honestly, when I hear him speak now it is literally verbal diarhea.

Reactions: ToneDog

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Realistically, the only teams who can afford to OS Marner at an absurd number without compromising their own cap structure are the sort of teams you'd want 4 firsts from. Like, if we have to sign Mark Stone and get Philadelphia's next four firsts, I'm sure ill live.

Reactions: ToneDog

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Some things to consider.

1. If im a rival team, i am leaking information to the bogus Toronto media to try and drive up the signing costs for Toronto's players. Doesnt mean im actually willing to draw up an offer sheet.
2. Said team signing Marner to an offersheet has to be completely comfortable with the contract given to Marner and the picks going back to the Leafs. The contract cant be so egregious that there would be significant fall back on your organisation if the Leafs decide against matching.
3. Marner has to sign the contract.
4. Said GM potentially damages reputation with other GM's in the league.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You can offer sheet Marner up to 10.1 million x 5 years and the compensation would be 2 1sts, 2nd and a 3rd.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
You can offer sheet Marner up to 10.1 million x 5 years and the compensation would be 2 1sts, 2nd and a 3rd.
There's really no point though. How would the Leafs not match?
And there's no point in giving up 4 1sts. Which is why this is pure Dreger trying to gain attention.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Marner will sign with Leafs
He wants 10M but came down to 9M which Leafs rejected
If I was betting based on this season I think it will get negotiated after season before July 1st between 9M and 10M for 8 years depending on stance Leafs take

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
There's really no point though. How would the Leafs not match?
And there's no point in giving up 4 1sts. Which is why this is pure Dreger trying to gain attention.
Does it matter to the other team if the Leafs match.
JT 11
Matthews 12?
Marner 10?

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
The Leafs will most likely sign him before July 1st, and Dreger knows that.

Not a lot of risk for Dreger here. The Leafs #1 priority from the day the season ends is signing Marner before July 1st.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Marner is beginning to fall down the scoring leaders table and is slowing down his scoring pace. All those bogus media talks of “Will Marner get $12 million now?” happened when he was top 5 in scoring and on pace for 110 points. It’s possible Marner doesn’t crack 90 points this year. Perhaps he should’ve ceded on his “no negotiations during the season” position.

I never hope for a Leaf to score less, but if it happens, the silver lining is maybe Marner will understand he doesn’t deserve a penny more than Kucherov. In fact, he doesn’t deserve anything close to Kucherov. I sincerely hope Dubas understands that.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Marner is beginning to fall down the scoring leaders table and is slowing down his scoring pace. All those bogus media talks of “Will Marner get $12 million now?” happened when he was top 5 in scoring and on pace for 110 points. It’s possible Marner doesn’t crack 90 points this year. Perhaps he should’ve ceded on his “no negotiations during the season” position.

I never hope for a Leaf to score less, but if it happens, the silver lining is maybe Marner will understand he doesn’t deserve a penny more than Kucherov. In fact, he doesn’t deserve anything close to Kucherov. I sincerely hope Dubas understands that.

Been my stance for a while, if he is paid on his high end it shouldn't pass Kucherov. With the increase in cap Kucherov deal is close to 10 a year.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Been my stance for a while, if he is paid on his high end it shouldn't pass Kucherov. With the increase in cap Kucherov deal is close to 10 a year.

Marner shouldn’t even get $9 million. Even that is too close to Kucherov. Take the media’s numbers (who seem to overvalue only Leafs players), subtract $3-4 million. That’s the true value of a Leaf.

It would be nice for Dubas to wait until Rantanen and Point sign. I have more faith in Colorado and Tampa to sign good contracts. Then sign Marner accordingly.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Does it matter to the other team if the Leafs match.
JT 11
Matthews 12?
Marner 10?

It might, depending on which player(s?) the Leafs would then be forced to trade, and if they'd be trading with that team or not. Unless there's a situation like there was with SJ and Chicago (Hjalmarsson and Niemi). Here's hoping not. Point being, the offer sheet team would probably be looking to benefit from the situation, not just aim to put the screws to the Leafs.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It might, depending on which player(s?) the Leafs would then be forced to trade, and if they'd be trading with that team or not. Unless there's a situation like there was with SJ and Chicago (Hjalmarsson and Niemi). Here's hoping not. Point being, the offer sheet team would probably be looking to benefit from the situation, not just aim to put the screws to the Leafs.
Not a bad way to shake the tree.
Winnipeg has Laine,Connor and Trouba.
They are very, very lucky Sheif makes 6 mil.
If he made his worth at 10, could Winnipeg keep Sheif,Connor,Laine,Wheeler?

There 2 best forwards are within a million of Nylander who is poised to be our 4th best.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00