Rumor: Dreger - Teams preparing to offer sheet Leafs' Marner PTII

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
amazing, eh?

leafs finally get good, and all they can talk about, every damn hour of every damn day, is contracts.

no wonder leafs nation is all worked up in a frenzy at this point. they haven't heard the idiots talk about anything else all year.
Imagine in Dallas, a Cowboy goes to an all -day breakfast deli, orders scrambled eggs, sausages and whole wheat toast and black coffee at 1 pm for lunch
Is he allergic to proceed grains? Why breakfast at lunch? Why so late? Is he hungover? Is he lactose intolerant? Same thing here except it's the Leafs I fear
If there's nothing to report the Leafs PR team is happy and all the fart catchers can do is speculate or go on a hunch
Leafs Yap, Leafs Rap, all sports radio stations in a Leafs trap and bad news is more fun than good, so lacking anything else, Leafs radio turns into Leafs smear

Reactions: I Believe

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Apples and oranges. Either can happen, but offer sheets are much more rare in comparison to RFAs re-signing in season. Player agent is willing to discuss and the GM is open to wrapping things up sooner rather than later. It could very well be close (definition of close is subjective).

The only difference is it’s good news for Leafs fans. If it’s not good news some posters actually call the media liars. Attack them.

Saying that a team would prepare an OS for Marner if he makes it to July is not preposterous, yet Dreger lied and never talked to anyone even though he claimed he had. He never mentioned anything about Marner signing it or that he would even talk to teams.

Saying the that Matthews and and the Leafs are meeting is also not prosperous , but even though there are no direct quotes everyone accepts it as fact.

Logical people accept both for what they are.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Imagine in Dallas, a Cowboy goes to an all -day breakfast deli, orders scrambled eggs, sausages and whole wheat toast and black coffee at 1 pm for lunch
Is he allergic to proceed grains? Why breakfast at lunch? Why so late? Is he hungover? Is he lactose intolerant? Same thing here except it's the Leafs I fear
If there's nothing to report the Leafs PR team is happy and all the fart catchers can do is speculate or go on a hunch
Leafs Yap, Leafs Rap, all sports radio stations in a Leafs trap and bad news is more fun than good, so lacking anything else, Leafs radio turns into Leafs smear

Think nothing of it. Down here in the South we eat breakfast anytime of the day or night. You know Waffle House is open 24/7 for a dang good reason.

Reactions: AreBe

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
I'm fine with the fact that team's are considering it, and my point is the 30 other teams in the league would be incredibly foolish not to prepare for Mitch becoming a FA. If all 30 GMs don't have an offer for him, they aren't doing their jobs. Even if the offer is lower than you'd expect him to take, you'd be better off reaching out and putting your best offer on the table. To me, Dreger's quote is common sense that's been blown out of proportion. Teams will offer Marner a contract, but that doesn't mean they're lining up to offer him 8 years at 12M, just means they want a terrific player on their team.
Not sure how it works. I thought you need to give up a draft pick to make an offer? If thats the case they won't be making an offer unless its a legit offer they think they'll win. If it's not the case then RFA is useless

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Not sure how it works. I thought you need to give up a draft pick to make an offer?
A team can offer any RFA any contract they wish with no penalty. Once the player signs the contract (assuming they come to an agreement) the player's team (Toronto) then has 7 days to match or decline. If Toronto matches the contract, Toronto would sign the player to the exact same contract signed by the other team and the player, if they decline to match then the team that offered the contract has to pay the requisite draft pick compensation (dependent on the contract size/length).

There is no price to pay for walking up to Marner with a contract and him saying "No.".

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
A team can offer any RFA any contract they wish with no penalty. Once the player signs the contract (assuming they come to an agreement) the player's team (Toronto) then has 7 days to match or decline. If Toronto matches the contract, Toronto would sign the player to the exact same contract signed by the other team and the player, if they decline to match then the team that offered the contract has to pay the requisite draft pick compensation (dependent on the contract size/length).

There is no price to pay for walking up to Marner with a contract and him saying "No.".
Wow thats stupid imo.. RFA is basically UFA then.. how many teams offer sheeted mcdavid?

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Wow thats stupid imo.. RFA is basically UFA then.. how many teams offer sheeted mcdavid?
None, he signed his contract a year before he became an RFA. Players are eligible to negotiate a contract (RFA or UFA) July 1st, the year before they are a free agent. So no offer sheets can be made to our RFAs until July 1st of this year, meaning we have exclusive negotiating rights until then.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
None, he signed his contract a year before he became an RFA. Players are eligible to negotiate a contract (RFA or UFA) July 1st, the year before they are a free agent. So no offer sheets can be made to our RFAs until July 1st of this year, meaning we have exclusive negotiating rights until then.
so it sounds like dubus really f***ed up for not getting the deal done last summer

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
You can offer sheet Marner up to 10.1 million x 5 years and the compensation would be 2 1sts, 2nd and a 3rd.

so the Leafs up the offer to 6 years and walk away laughing because the other GM just closed a Leaf friendly deal for Dubas if of course Marner signs it, which he won't

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
so the Leafs up the offer to 6 years and walk away laughing because the other GM just closed a Leaf friendly deal for Dubas if of course Marner signs it, which he won't

The team can’t make any counter offers to the OS deal. They either accept or reject.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
He used the term '100%' teams are preparing an offer sheet for Marner. If a GM doesn't at least prepare for a free agent (RFA or UFA) they should be fired for not trying to make their team as good as possible. They could be preparing an offer sheet of 8years*8M, maybe less if they can't afford that, maybe more, who knows.

an offer sheet can only be 7 years and if Mitch's agent ok'd him to sign that offersheet he'd be doing his client a disservice

it might get talked about in the boardroom but I don't believe that anyone right now is tying up their capologist, accounting department and pro scouting staff and putting an offer sheet together, right now they're in season and have bigger fish to fry. It would be a helluva waste of time if when they finally get the greenlight to even approach Marner's agent, the Mitch says thank's but no thanks not interested in playing in your town. What a colossal waste of time

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Saying that a team would prepare an OS for Marner if he makes it to July is not preposterous, yet Dreger lied and never talked to anyone even though he claimed he had. He never mentioned anything about Marner signing it or that he would even talk to teams.

this is all wrong. what he didn't say is more important than what he did say.

he got headlines by making it sound as if Marner signing an offersheet was a significant threat, when it's not.

he did this by saying that teams were "preparing" offers for him.

and by not saying:

- that they were likely "preparing" offers for all the good RFA
- that "preparing" something doesn't actual mean it will be used
- that Marner isn't even the most likely recipient of an offer sheet
- that Marner is very unlikely to sign an offersheet

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

I have too many infractions to like posts right now, but I just want you to know that i keep 'liking' your posts in my heart.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The only difference is it’s good news for Leafs fans. If it’s not good news some posters actually call the media liars. Attack them.

Saying the that Matthews and and the Leafs are meeting is also not prosperous , but even though there are no direct quotes everyone accepts it as fact.

Agreed. I enjoy hockey talk so I appreciate those that provide that.

Only one way for any team to absolutely guarantee a player doesn't receive an offer sheet. It's a chance taken no matter what; that offer sheet may or may not happen and the player may or may not be receptive to it.

The elements are in place for a contract extension with Matthews. We'll see how that progresses and how quickly. It all provides talking points at the end of the day. What happens will happen regardless.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
so it sounds like dubus really ****ed up for not getting the deal done last summer
Yeah, he really dropped the ball. Just like Gilman dropping the ball with Matthews and Marner right now - What are you waiting for, Larry? Get on it!

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

It's not the fact that teams are going to be prepared to offer sheet Marner that is proposterous. It's the notion that this is a newsworthy thing with any likelyhood of happening.

Teams are prepared to offer sheet Marner, just like the Leafs are prepared to offer sheet others or make any number of possible trades. They've thought about and discussed all kinds of things because that's what these professional managers do with their time at work, be prepared for things.

But nobody has signed am offer sheet in a decade and it's just not going to happen, but Dreger had nothing else to talk about and knows it will get Leafs fans all excited.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Matthews and Marner are the big dogs and most teams will probably stay away from that.
I think it's been mentioned here but the best way to hurt the Leafs is if a team like Carolina offer sheets Kapanen to 5 x 5. Compensation = 1st and a 3rd.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
If Marner signs any OS then the Leafs should let him walk. He would be turning his back on his city of birth and the Leafs which he supposedly grew up loving. Personally this would be much worse then what Nylander did. But yet everyone is on the poor kid.

I personally do not see Marner signing any offer sheet. But if he does, he should be let go. Recoup the draft picks, and use the money that we wanted to offer him on strengthening the team which the Leafs will do. Wouldn't be the end of the world, and personally wouldn't want him in Toronto if he backed us in a corner.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
this is all wrong. what he didn't say is more important than what he did say.

he got headlines by making it sound as if Marner signing an offersheet was a significant threat, when it's not.

he did this by saying that teams were "preparing" offers for him.

and by not saying:

- that they were likely "preparing" offers for all the good RFA
- that "preparing" something doesn't actual mean it will be used
- that Marner isn't even the most likely recipient of an offer sheet
- that Marner is very unlikely to sign an offersheet

They were talking specifically about Marner, therefore Dreger relayed what he was told him about him.
-Anyone with sense would know preparing doesn’t mean it would necessarily be used.
- if it gets to July the likelihood of him signing an OS goes up. Again that’s just common sense and doesn't need to be said. Not to mention, he may not know if would or wouldn’t sign one.

Similarly, when they speculated that Matthews’ agent will be meeting with the Leafs this week the purpose was to get a headline. They made it sound like he would sign the extension this week. Maybe. Maybe not.
Also, they didn’t discuss other RFAs negotiation process when they were talking about Matthews on Saturday because it wasn’t pertinent.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
The team can’t make any counter offers to the OS deal. They either accept or reject.
hmm why would management be forbidden to come up with their own contract - subject to the collective bargaining agreement - to their own player on different terms in the manner they see fit?
I get that perhaps the offer they are matching is perhaps more than they would otherwise pay, so they match and do not exceed, but management theoretically should be free to offer sheet deflect
If the Edmonton Oillers offer sheet your guy at $10 mil, you gotta think about them consecutive draft picks being a hit
Hey! All you 'and a few draft picks' with your trade proposals? One reason you don't trade away a first rounder is because if you do, you are forbidden to offer sheet anyone, and a path to a quick fix you have wrecked!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It's not the fact that teams are going to be prepared to offer sheet Marner that is proposterous. It's the notion that this is a newsworthy thing with any likelyhood of happening.

Teams are prepared to offer sheet Marner, just like the Leafs are prepared to offer sheet others or make any number of possible trades. They've thought about and discussed all kinds of things because that's what these professional managers do with their time at work, be prepared for things.

But nobody has signed am offer sheet in a decade and it's just not going to happen, but Dreger had nothing else to talk about and knows it will get Leafs fans all excited.

With all the quality RFAs and a few teams like Tampa, Toronto and Winnipeg facing a cap crunch I’m hoping there will be few OS this year.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

oh wait - are you doubting that Matthews' agent is meeting with the leafs this week?

I guess they could be lying about that too, but lying about an agent's whereabouts would be a bit weird.

Beyond Headlines: Leafs, Matthews progressing towards new deal - Sportsnet.ca

the player’s Los Angeles-based agent, Judd Moldaver, took a red-eye flight to Toronto over the weekend and plans to remain in the city during the Leafs’ mini homestand this week.

that would be a bit of a weird specific lie that's not really comparable to "teams are preparing offer sheets!", imo.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
hmm why would management be forbidden to come up with their own contract - subject to the collective bargaining agreement - to their own player on different terms in the manner they see fit?
I get that perhaps the offer they are matching is perhaps more than they would otherwise pay, so they match and do not exceed, but management theoretically should be free to offer sheet deflect
If the Edmonton Oillers offer sheet your guy at $10 mil, you gotta think about them consecutive draft picks being a hit
Hey! All you 'and a few draft picks' with your trade proposals? One reason you don't trade away a first rounder is because if you do, you are forbidden to offer sheet anyone, and a path to a quick fix you have wrecked!

The owners and NHLPA negotiated the OS process. I haven’t read that section but I’m pretty sure no changes can be made to the terms of the OS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->