Rumor: Dreger - Teams preparing to offer sheet Leafs' Marner PTII

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
oh wait - are you doubting that Matthews' agent is meeting with the leafs this week?

I guess they could be lying about that too, but lying about an agent's whereabouts would be a bit weird.

Beyond Headlines: Leafs, Matthews progressing towards new deal - Sportsnet.ca

that would be a bit of a weird specific lie that's not really comparable to "teams are preparing offer sheets!", imo.

Not at all doubting it even a little. I’m not the one accusing anyone of lying.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Matthews and Marner are the big dogs and most teams will probably stay away from that.
I think it's been mentioned here but the best way to hurt the Leafs is if a team like Carolina offer sheets Kapanen to 5 x 5. Compensation = 1st and a 3rd.

My thoughts exactly. Is a 1st and a 3rd worth losing Kapanen? Most likely not assuming it would be playoff team going after him.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
They were talking specifically about Marner, therefore Dreger relayed what he was told him about him.
-Anyone with sense would know preparing doesn’t mean it would necessarily be used.
- if it gets to July the likelihood of him signing an OS goes up. Again that’s just common sense and doesn't need to be said. Not to mention, he may not know if would or wouldn’t sign one.

Then you should be arguing on our side of this argument - that the rampant panic over marner signing an offer sheet is unreasonable, and Dreger's quote doesn't justify it.

You and I may want to disagree on whether Dreger fully knew what he was doing, and why he said why he said and why he didn't say what he didn't say.

Similarly, when they speculated that Matthews’ agent will be meeting with the Leafs this week the purpose was to get a headline. They made it sound like he would sign the extension this week. Maybe. Maybe not.

a weirdly specific lie, not really comparable to dreger's trolling.

the player’s Los Angeles-based agent, Judd Moldaver, took a red-eye flight to Toronto over the weekend and plans to remain in the city during the Leafs’ mini homestand this week.

I mean I guess it's possible that Judd had some other pressing business in toronto. does he represent any other leafs?

Reactions: therealkoho

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
oh wait - are you doubting that Matthews' agent is meeting with the leafs this week?

I guess they could be lying about that too, but lying about an agent's whereabouts would be a bit weird.

that would be a bit of a weird specific lie that's not really comparable to "teams are preparing offer sheets!", imo.

I choose to believe there is progress being made and they are meeting this week but there is not one bit of attribution in that story.

At least Dreger did say that he was told by GMs or people in hockey ops (paraphrasing here) that they would prepare an OS for Marner....a little bit attribution.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I choose to believe there is progress being made and they are meeting this week but there is not one bit of attribution in that story.

At least Dreger did say that he was told by GMs or people in hockey ops (paraphrasing here) that they would prepare an OS for Marner....a little bit attribution.

I have no doubt that hockey people told dreger that they were making some kind of preliminary "preparations" for offer sheets for RFA, including Marner.

I don't think he was lying about that.

But I also have no doubt that he specifically tailored that info for maximum reaction.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Matthews better sign a low cost bridge deal. He seems to be pretty injury prone. Its smart on his part to get it done.

6 x 10m tops

Marner will be an OS risk. He is probably the better player right now once you factor in 3 years and 3 injuries for Matthews plus long slumps. Marner is riding a wave.

6 x 9m

I think all of these contracts including Nylander are OPs

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I have no doubt that hockey people told dreger that they were making some kind of preliminary "preparations" for offer sheets for RFA, including Marner.

I don't think he was lying about that.

But I also have no doubt that he specifically tailored that info for maximum reaction.

That’s his job.

Reactions: AreBe

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
The owners and NHLPA negotiated the OS process. I haven’t read that section but I’m pretty sure no changes can be made to the terms of the OS.
I think I understand and almost assuredly part of collective barging and so that it that no getting around it
So the player has agreed to terms with another team - certainty of contract terms- - that contract is now binding with terms and conditions agreed to but for one thing- the current team's right to match - from the collective agreement- and not to beat
Look - the NHL is max money or minimum wage league and Mariner is on the top end and so even very good teams need to think long and hard before giving up 4 first rounders and if you do give up 4 first rounders it may be indicative of very bad - totally got this analytics and salary cap wrong- management and a total twit.
I could be wrong but there is no more middle class and so you need to keep drafting, and keep resigning max money guys and replace middle class guys with anyone who will do the work for the least money, any given piece of NHL meat.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
again, I can't see Marner signing an offer sheet with another team, I don't think he is that kind of kid.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
What alarms me about this dramatized story from Dreger, is how angry and animated it has made people against Leafs' brass when there is literally no evidential legitimacy behind it.

Theorizing is cool, but slating management on speculation and theory is a little mind boggling.

Buy hey, Dreger got his clicks.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
this is all wrong. what he didn't say is more important than what he did say.

he got headlines by making it sound as if Marner signing an offersheet was a significant threat, when it's not.

he did this by saying that teams were "preparing" offers for him.

and by not saying:

- that they were likely "preparing" offers for all the good RFA
- that "preparing" something doesn't actual mean it will be used
- that Marner isn't even the most likely recipient of an offer sheet
- that Marner is very unlikely to sign an offersheet

What does "preparing" an offer sheet even mean?

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
again, I can't see Marner signing an offer sheet with another team, I don't think he is that kind of kid.

Its just a garbage rumour that has no traction behind it, if Marner read this thread I'm sure he'd be laughing his butt off. Why leave his childhood team and city for a few million more when you're already playing with guys like JT, Matthews and Nylander.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I would think all team's management would have an OS discussion every season. A prudent GM would at least have a peek to see if a player is worth the risk. Dreger is not expressing groundbreaking stuff here, just spinning for clicks.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
an offer sheet can only be 7 years and if Mitch's agent ok'd him to sign that offersheet he'd be doing his client a disservice

it might get talked about in the boardroom but I don't believe that anyone right now is tying up their capologist, accounting department and pro scouting staff and putting an offer sheet together, right now they're in season and have bigger fish to fry. It would be a helluva waste of time if when they finally get the greenlight to even approach Marner's agent, the Mitch says thank's but no thanks not interested in playing in your town. What a colossal waste of time
Of course the 8th year is reserved for their parent club (made a whoopsie). I shouldn't have included a contract example at all in my post, but my response was to '100% teams are going to offer sheet Mitch'. My response was supposed to correct the wording and simply state that teams 'preparing' an offer sheet is non-news in that I'm sure all 30 other teams want Mitch on their team if he becomes an RFA. Not saying they are placing time and resources this early to get it done, just that all teams should be considering their options with all of the great RFAs this year.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Its just a garbage rumour that has no traction behind it, if Marner read this thread I'm sure he'd be laughing his butt off. Why leave his childhood team and city for a few million more when you're already playing with guys like JT, Matthews and Nylander.

I bet he’d leave in a heartbeat for a “few million” more in, say, Tampa.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I bet he’d leave in a heartbeat for a “few million” more in, say, Tampa.

Marner was interviewed as a small child on CP24 saying how his favourite team is the Leafs, don't underestimate the allure of being a hometown kid playing for your childhood team with his entire family all around him. I don't think I need to provide proof of this allure, see John Tavares who left $14 million on the table when the Sharks offered a 7 year $91 million offer.

When the Leafs are good, our hometown NHL players want to be at home because winning in TOR is unlike any other city. Also Tampa cannot afford Marner without subtracting a large piece.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I would think all team's management would have an OS discussion every season. A prudent GM would at least have a peek to see if a player is worth the risk. Dreger is not expressing groundbreaking stuff here, just spinning for clicks.

Actually he’s confirming what we all assumed. Especially this season with all the RFAs on teams with potential cap issues it’s nice to know management will use the tools available.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
What does "preparing" an offer sheet even mean?

open capfriendly. check your draft pick situation. open excel. chart out each scenario for all the interesting RFA. save file.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Marner was interviewed as a small child on CP24 saying how his favourite team is the Leafs, don't underestimate the allure of being a hometown kid playing for your childhood team with his entire family all around him. I don't think I need to provide proof of this allure, see John Tavares.

When the Leafs are good, our hometown NHL players want to be at home. Also Tampa cannot afford Marner without subtracting a large piece.

If the Leafs offer him 7 million and someone else offers him 10 million do you think that childhood interview will sway him?
They play for money and if the Leafs think they can play on his heart strings they’ll be making a mistake.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
If the Leafs offer him 7 million and someone else offers him 10 million do you think that childhood interview will sway him?
They play for money and if the Leafs think they can play on his heart strings they’ll be making a mistake.

The San Jose Sharks are reported by reputable people to have offered Tavares a 7 year $91 million dollar deal which would have made him the highest paid player in the league at 13 million per. Instead he came home for a 7 year $77 million dollar deal that see's him paid 11 million per.

JT left $14 million on the table to come home.

I say again, do not underestimate the allure of hometown kids fulfilling their dreams and playing at home.

John Tavares overwhelmingly proved this theory this past summer. Now as much as it might bring you joy to believe that Marner would hop on the next plane out of town for a measly 3 million you're off your rocker, no offence, especially a team that is already full of young talent.

Case closed.

Reactions: thunder16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->