Rumor: Dreger - Teams preparing to offer sheet Leafs' Marner PTII

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Not a bad way to shake the tree.
Winnipeg has Laine,Connor and Trouba.
They are very, very lucky Sheif makes 6 mil.
If he made his worth at 10, could Winnipeg keep Sheif,Connor,Laine,Wheeler?

There 2 best forwards are within a million of Nylander who is poised to be our 4th best.

Good point.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Leafs will most likely sign him before July 1st, and Dreger knows that.

Not a lot of risk for Dreger here. The Leafs #1 priority from the day the season ends is signing Marner before July 1st.

Dreger is usually generally wishy-washy when giving out rumours but he used the term 100% teams are going to OS Marner if he is available.

That sounds like his sources are fairly certain.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Dreger is usually generally wishy-washy when giving out rumours but he used the term 100% teams are going to OS Marner if he is available.

YPy36szlti9eeZ5EaEnAVU4dTWSrrPM_xrQRnTN1vEs.png

images

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON

He used the term '100%' teams are preparing an offer sheet for Marner. If a GM doesn't at least prepare for a free agent (RFA or UFA) they should be fired for not trying to make their team as good as possible. They could be preparing an offer sheet of 8years*8M, maybe less if they can't afford that, maybe more, who knows.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He used the term '100%' teams are preparing an offer sheet for Marner. If a GM doesn't at least prepare for a free agent (RFA or UFA) they should be fired for not trying to make their team as good as possible. They could be preparing an offer sheet of 8years*8M, maybe less if they can't afford that, maybe more, who knows.

A lot of Leafs fans seem angry and want to dismiss the notion of a OS outright to Marner as not possible, but as Dreger is saying he is 100% that they are being prepared and considered.

Reactions: AreBe

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Marner is beginning to fall down the scoring leaders table and is slowing down his scoring pace. All those bogus media talks of “Will Marner get $12 million now?” happened when he was top 5 in scoring and on pace for 110 points. It’s possible Marner doesn’t crack 90 points this year. Perhaps he should’ve ceded on his “no negotiations during the season” position.

I never hope for a Leaf to score less, but if it happens, the silver lining is maybe Marner will understand he doesn’t deserve a penny more than Kucherov. In fact, he doesn’t deserve anything close to Kucherov. I sincerely hope Dubas understands that.

That's the scary thing with Marner, even when he plays crappy he normally still produces.

8 pts in last 10
22 pts in last 20

So chances are pretty darn good he hits 90

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's safe to assume that teams are preparing to offer sheet several of the pending high profile RFAs that will be unsigned after July 1st. The Leafs are not the only team that may be vulnerable this off season.

My concern isn't Marner, because I'm confident that terms will be agreed upon prior to July 1st. My concern is Kapanen. We can't afford to offer him much more than a bridge deal at this point in time. If he is unsigned after July 1st, another team might swoop in and offer him a 5 million AAV for 5-6 years.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
That's the scary thing with Marner, even when he plays crappy he normally still produces.

8 pts in last 10
22 pts in last 20

So chances are pretty darn good he hits 90

Both over 90 and under 90 are possible. I wouldn’t be surprised to see either happen. But he was on pace for 110 points not too long ago, and now is on pace for 100. I can absolutely see 90 in the end.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
A lot of Leafs fans seem angry and want to dismiss the notion of a OS outright to Marner as not possible, but as Dreger is saying he is 100% that they are being prepared and considered.
I'm fine with the fact that team's are considering it, and my point is the 30 other teams in the league would be incredibly foolish not to prepare for Mitch becoming a FA. If all 30 GMs don't have an offer for him, they aren't doing their jobs. Even if the offer is lower than you'd expect him to take, you'd be better off reaching out and putting your best offer on the table. To me, Dreger's quote is common sense that's been blown out of proportion. Teams will offer Marner a contract, but that doesn't mean they're lining up to offer him 8 years at 12M, just means they want a terrific player on their team.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

In the same way you mentioned Dreger said "100% teams are going to offer sheet"

He also said "Preparing to offer sheet".

He chose his words wisely so that when the Leafs sign him before July 1st he can say he was still correct.

I assume the most likely scenario here is he signs before July 1st, and I would assume that the insiders think the same way.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Do Dreger (or any media for that matter) make mention on how likely it is that Marner would sign such an offer? Or that Marner would use such an offer against the Leafs to make more money? The fact that a GM would prepare or even offer a contact to a player of Marner's calibre is not really news but Marner actually signing an offer would be. Either the offer is 4 first round picks or the Leafs match IF Marner actually signs it. How many teams have their first round picks for the next 4 years? How many teams, that have their picks, are in a good enough position that they can afford to give these picks up, have the substantial money to fit Marner under the cap as well as the money to pay their own players. Without looking, I'm going to guess good teams are pretty close already and have their own players they need to sign. Maybe a crappy or middling team might have the picks and the space but these teams are going to give up cheap, possibly impact rookies... for the next 4 years? Marner is going to want to sign on to that?

Or will he look at the team he's already on, with the players and a plan for success and sacrifice a few million over the next 7 years for this money? If he did, the quality of that team might cost him a whole lot more than the money he took in his first real contract. I guess if his hometown team came calling, they might have a little bit of an edge in negotiations but what are the odds that this would happen?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
In the same way you mentioned Dreger said "100% teams are going to offer sheet"

He also said "Preparing to offer sheet".

He chose his words wisely so that when the Leafs sign him before July 1st he can say he was still correct.

I assume the most likely scenario here is he signs before July 1st, and I would assume that the insiders think the same way.
I hope he gets destroyed regardless. The guy's grandstanding was sickening. Bob Mackenzie did not like it you can tell.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Unless the Leafs are complete lowballing Marner (sub-$8M), I would be shocked that a lifelong Leaf fan, who grew up in the area, would risk signing an offersheet. Mitch knows the market, he also knows what the market will do to him if he were to sign an oversheet to push the Leafs hand.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
How many teams have their first round picks for the next 4 years? How many teams, that have their picks, are in a good enough position that they can afford to give these picks up, have the substantial money to fit Marner under the cap as well as the money to pay their own players.
All of them, actually.

As for having cap space, I'd imagine you're still looking at 20+ teams. Whether it makes sense for the teams.... guess it depends on the team. Adding a Marner for 4 1st rounders probably makes sense for a couple teams in the league that see themselves as playoff teams or more with an addition elite forward.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Media speculating on OS is bad but is anyone getting sick of all the media speculating that Matthews is close to signing an extension? Not one quote from Matthews or his agent or anyone with the Leafs. The media just makes up stuff for clicks.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Media speculating on OS is bad but is anyone getting sick of all the media speculating that Matthews is close to signing an extension? Not one quote from Matthews or his agent or anyone with the Leafs. The media just makes up stuff for clicks.

They reported during Saturdays intermission report that Matthews/Agent and Dubas plan an in person meeting this week to work on the contract.

That is promising news.

Reactions: Buds17

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
In general, I wish they talked about the on-ice product more.

amazing, eh?

leafs finally get good, and all they can talk about, every damn hour of every damn day, is contracts.

no wonder leafs nation is all worked up in a frenzy at this point. they haven't heard the idiots talk about anything else all year.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They reported during Saturdays intermission report that Matthews/Agent and Dubas plan an in person meeting this week to work on the contract.

That is promising news.

Any quotes or just more click bait speculation

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.

It's a no-lose speculative statement.

Even if it doesn't happen he can claim they were 'preparing' one, but it just didn't fall right.

I can 100% guarantee that Leafs are preparing an offer sheet for Rantanen.

Might not happen, but they 100% prepared an offer. But you can't prove it didn't happen.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Dreger is helping Marners agent.

I think Matthews would get an offer sheet, but not Marner.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Apples and oranges. Either can happen, but offer sheets are much more rare in comparison to RFAs re-signing in season. Player agent is willing to discuss and the GM is open to wrapping things up sooner rather than later. It could very well be close (definition of close is subjective).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad