Rumor: Dreger - Teams preparing to offer sheet Leafs' Marner PTII

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Completely agree. I really don’t see why Rogers and company won’t do that. Just take one of those action shots of Matthews in game and make a billboard to promote Hockey in the GTA and give him 3mil. NHL can’t do anything about that just like some teams get the tax advantage.

Exactly

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Sounds like your changing your policy. Good idea.

The reason I picked 1 yr is because (assuming they can OS 1 yr deals), in essence, it’s a 4 year deal unless the team doesn’t give him a qualifying offer. Additionally the 12 million would be divided by 5 and the compensation would be minimal.

My policy is let anyone walk who signs an offer sheet. 99% of the time, they’ll sign an offer sheet because they’re not happy wth what the team offered. In the 1% chance a player signs an offer sheet that makes no sense for himself and is actually good for the team, then sure match it.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
So are endorsements. He wouldn’t be getting those over the years if he left.

Have you heard of PK Subban? He does pretty well on endorsements, but he also has a great personality.

Last edited:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I would be pretty shocked if Mitch signed an offer sheet

I'll be shocked if any RFA signs an offersheet.
Who wants to lose 4 1st rounders. That's insane.

Toronto media must get a lot of hits for offersheet talk, because it's unbelievable how much talk it gets given it never occurs.

Reactions: Sittler 27

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

Toronto media must get a lot of hits for offersheet talk, because it's unbelievable how much talk it gets given it never occurs.

Even more then picks, the team will have a shit contract they will need to deal with. Sure someone can offer marner $12 million per but it will make it rough to build a team with no cap space or draft picks.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Even more then picks, the team will have a **** contract they will need to deal with. Sure someone can offer marner $12 million per but it will make it rough to build a team with no cap space or draft picks.

It makes zero sense for any team. It will not happen.
The funny thing is, Mackenzie seemed annoyed at Dreger for saying that. Mackenzie has said he hears nothing about OS

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
SO Dreger has come out on radio and tv to say that teams are 100% preparing offer sheets for Mitch Marner.

Once July 1 comes around and there are no offer sheets and Marner resigns with the Leafs I will personally take Dreger down myself on social media. I hope for his sake that someone does offer sheet Marner at this point.

Reactions: Metroid

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Completely agree, especially since this is the year where there are a lot of top class UFAs.
I fail to see any GMs willing to spend the time and money on OS instead of pitching to the UFAs, knowing full well all of them are looking for the most expensive contract.

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
SO Dreger has come out on radio and tv to say that teams are 100% preparing offer sheets for Mitch Marner.

Once July 1 comes around and there are no offer sheets and Marner resigns with the Leafs I will personally take Dreger down myself on social media. I hope for his sake that someone does offer sheet Marner at this point.

What happens when he signs before July 1st and the excuses from Dregs come that the offer sheets were ready! They just never had the chance to use them!

Reactions: 81Leafs50

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I really wish someone would have offer sheeted Nylander. That would have been nice. Assuming Dubas doesn't match, which the dope might have.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
It makes zero sense for any team. It will not happen.
The funny thing is, Mackenzie seemed annoyed at Dreger for saying that. Mackenzie has said he hears nothing about OS

The whole thing is nonsensicle. Leafs priority is to get these guys signed. The teams with the cap space to grossly overpay marner and matthews is pretty short. They also are likely bubble teams or worse.

At a time where cap management is key and gms get fired for shitty contracts, offersheeting a player to a crazy contract and losing 4 firsts on top is ottawa sens level bad management.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Match and trade him if its ridiculously high and its a team thats a contender. Take the picks if its a bottom team and move on.

Marner wants to play for us anyway! The Detroit announcer mentioned it during the friday night game and it was from no source and furthermore any team that wants to get into a financial battle with the leafs better be prepared for a pounding back on any of their great players becoming RFA's in the future.

Watching Marner diving in front of shots tonight tells you alot about his loyalty to his teammates and team.

Good for him if it happens to drive ip hisvearning potential. He deserves something in Matthews range anyways. So where is the room for a team to even go higher than us when it comes to evaluating his future value.

His value is extremely high as it stands. Really we will have to pay him a very large sum anyway!!!

Who cares if some jerk team tries it it, bring it on. ;))

Reactions: therealkoho

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I really think it is Marner’s camp who is spreading the Marner will sign OS to drive up his contract.

Reactions: mulefarm

hfman

Oct 30, 2013

oh boy, Darren Dreger at TSN had better heed the wrath of "81Leafs50"

..he knows if "81Leafs50" spews hate on social media then he's in deep trouble...

Reactions: Jmo89 and dsred

BudsOne

Jan 17, 2019
Dreger is an idiot.... Always has been, Talks like he knows the game has he ever played... Tries to make shit up and start shit where there is no shit to worry about.
His sources... He has none He is his sources....
Get a real job

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
I really wish someone would have offer sheeted Nylander. That would have been nice. Assuming Dubas doesn't match, which the dope might have.
Yeah. And the canes, who were trying so desperately to pry nylander from us never thought to OS him?

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Yo..... Anyways. .. Marner if a bit of dweeb.. I don't really like him, but I would love the t0othy goof for for FIRST rounders....

Offer me asses...... Mitch is a bit of goof.... For the most part.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
What happens when he signs before July 1st and the excuses from Dregs come that the offer sheets were ready! They just never had the chance to use them!
I'm still going to take him down. I have had enough of the BS these insiders talk about offer sheets.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
oh boy, Darren Dreger at TSN had better heed the wrath of "81Leafs50"

..he knows if "81Leafs50" spews hate on social media then he's in deep trouble...

I have a site with over 2000 subscribers. its not much but its something.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

Why bother...Dregger,the wishy -washy ,still looking for validation "insider" unbelievably still getting air time, as if anyone takes his clown face seriously. Don't listen to him!
Marner getting 'offer sheets' ? Sure,why not. It's a reasonable guess that another team would do that,but 10 million/yr plus the 4 first rounders is a heavy price to pay,with no gaurantee of a championship and perhaps most important is he has to want to go there.
He has already established himself here quite nicely. A fan favorite ,with charity events and plenty of endorsements...livin' the dream! I say he stays and it's not even a consideration to go elsewhere.

Reactions: 81Leafs50

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad