Rumor: Dreger - Teams preparing to offer sheet Leafs' Marner PTII

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
o/s are big news. They should not be given the last one was 6 years ago, but they are because it's the Leafs.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
If it gets to that point and Marner wants to squabble over 5-7 million and sign an offer sheet than let him walk. He was a die hard leafs fan but he can go enjoy playing somewhere else. He may not lose them all but I’m pretty sure he would lose some endorsements. If that extra 5-7 million is more important, by all means there’s the door. Let me also say that he has every right to ask for whatever he wants. But if he truly wants to be here, he’ll sign at a readonable cap hit.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
If it gets to that point and Marner wants to squabble over 5-7 million and sign an offer sheet than let him walk. He was a die hard leafs fan but he can go enjoy playing somewhere else. He may not lose them all but I’m pretty sure he would lose some endorsements. If that extra 5-7 million is more important, by all means there’s the door. Let me also say that he has every right to ask for whatever he wants. But if he truly wants to be here, he’ll sign at a readonable cap hit.

I agree and I’d say the same for Matthews. I’d make it a policy. If you sign an offer sheet, you will not be a Leaf.

Furthermore, if you don’t sign by training camp, you will not be a Leaf.

Make it clear you don’t get to push around the Leafs before you turn UFA. No exceptions, for no one.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It’s ridiculous how Toronto can’t use their marketing and advertising opportunities as leverage like Tampa uses their tax bracket

Yup.

Hey, come to Toronto and feed the tax system. And if you want to feed it a little more, there’s an opportunity for you to do a lot of extra work in the off season keeping you away from your family and rest.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

$ 7 million is a lot of cake.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I agree and I’d say the same for Matthews. I’d make it a policy. If you sign an offer sheet, you will not be a Leaf.

Furthermore, if you don’t sign by training camp, you will not be a Leaf.

Make it clear you don’t get to push around the Leafs before you turn UFA. No exceptions, for no one.

So if Matthews signed a 1 yr $12 million OS during training camp you’d just take the compensation? Thats some pretty good leverage for the RFA.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Marner really should have been negotiating during the season when he was unstoppably red hot.

He's been getting colder and colder and more mistake prone as the season has gone on. He'll have to pick it up if he wants to get the kind of payday people are talking about. Especially since Matthews looks primed to go on another hot streak.

Reactions: kb and Menzinger

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Yup.

Hey, come to Toronto and feed the tax system. And if you want to feed it a little more, there’s an opportunity for you to do a lot of extra work in the off season keeping you away from your family and rest.

Yes doing a Rogers commercial I’m sure will destroy all of Matthews summer plans

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yes doing a Rogers commercial I’m sure will destroy all of Matthews summer plans

Have you ever shot a TV ad? Takes all day. Rogers can’t pay him very much so in order to make the difference he’d have to do several and or be a spokesperson which requires going to events etc.

The point being, in order to make meaningful money it takes extra work

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Have you ever shot a TV ad? Takes all day. Rogers can’t pay him very much so in order to make the difference he’d have to do several and or be a spokesperson which requires going to events etc.

Yes the reason I chose Rogers is because they own the leafs. What I’m saying is pay him the extra 3 mill and get him to do some stupid nothing ad or even a billboard picture and keep that 3 mill off the cap. Is it illegal ? No.

Use all the advantages you have leafs

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yes the reason I chose Rogers is because they own the leafs. What I’m saying is pay him the extra 3 mill and get him to do some stupid nothing ad or even a billboard picture and keep that 3 mill off the cap. Is it illegal ? No.

Use all the advantages you have leafs

That’s cap circumvention.

Leafsfan13

Feb 13, 2018
Marner really should have been negotiating during the season when he was unstoppably red hot.

He's been getting colder and colder and more mistake prone as the season has gone on. He'll have to pick it up if he wants to get the kind of payday people are talking about. Especially since Matthews looks primed to go on another hot streak.
Getting colder and colder? He has 14 goals in his last 18 games.

Reactions: Babcocks Marner

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Teams can offer Marner whatever they want. Marner still has to sign it. I have more faith in Marner being loyal to the Leafs than Matthews. And it's looking like Matthews won't get to July 1.

The ones I worry about is someone offering a guy like kapenan 5m

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario

I don't think anyone in Arizona will give Matthews 50k for a weekend to shoot a couple commercials or do a photoshoot.

If Marner spends 10+ years in Toronto he will have a lifetime job post playing career and 6 digit appearance fees.

Look at guys like CoCo, Odog, MJ. They all have cushy jobs at TSN with some pretty meh careers in Toronto.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
That’s cap circumvention.

No, it isn't. Matthews signed an endorsement deal with both Scotiabank and Porsche. Marner also signed with Intact Insurance and Chevrolet. If these side deals away from hockey were considered in any way, shape, or form, cap circumvention by the Leafs, then the league would of let them know well in advance before the dotting the I's and crossing the T's phase.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Actually it’s not and it’s clear they did it with Tavares. Every Rogers commercial during leafs games is with him coming home to his ignite tv
Completely agree. I really don’t see why Rogers and company won’t do that. Just take one of those action shots of Matthews in game and make a billboard to promote Hockey in the GTA and give him 3mil. NHL can’t do anything about that just like some teams get the tax advantage.

Reactions: Leafs87

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
No, it isn't. Matthews signed an endorsement deal with both Scotiabank and Porsche. Marner also signed with Intact Insurance and Chevrolet. If these side deals away from hockey were considered in any way, shape, or form, cap circumvention by the Leafs, then the league would of let them know well in advance before the dotting the I's and crossing the T's phase.

We all know they can and do have endorsement deals. The issue is paying an outrageous fee for that service could be cap circumvention. Paying Matthews 3 to 5 million for a billboard would fall into that category.

PK has the Bridgestone commercials and is being paid accordingly.
Sidney has Bauer.

Last edited:

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Why should they ? The cap works for their bottom line like "Sorry we would love to pay you more but the league won't let us" , some of you have a mighty thin grip on how money works .

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
We all know they can and do have endorsement deals. The issue is paying an outrageous fee for that service could be cap circumvention. Paying Matthews 3 to 5 million for a billboard would fall into that category.

PK has the Bridgestone commercials and is being paid accordingly.
Sidney has Bauer.

I think there's only a handful of athletes around the world that would garner such an inflated amount for a billboard ad. Auston Matthews and the rest of the hockey world do not fall under this category.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think there's only a handful of athletes around the world that would garner such an inflated amount for a billboard ad. Auston Matthews and the rest of the hockey world do not fall under this category.

Exactly. And that’s why the Leafs don’t take the advice of the posters that were recomnending they do.

“Yes the reason I chose Rogers is because they own the leafs. What I’m saying is pay him the extra 3 mill and get him to do some stupid nothing ad or even a billboard picture and keep that 3 mill off the cap. Is it illegal ? No.

Use all the advantages you have leafs”

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
So if Matthews signed a 1 yr $12 million OS during training camp you’d just take the compensation? Thats some pretty good leverage for the RFA.

Wouldn’t happen because he wouldn’t sign an offer sheet for 1 year. He’d be signing an offer sheet for many years at whatever exorbitant amount. And yes, in that case I’d let Matthews walk if he signed any offer sheet that was not team-friendly.

On the other hand, if he wanted to sign an offer sheet for 7 years at $5 million per year, sure I’ll match that, but that’s not happening either.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Wouldn’t happen because he wouldn’t sign an offer sheet for 1 year. He’d be signing an offer sheet for many years at whatever exorbitant amount. And yes, in that case I’d let Matthews walk if he signed any offer sheet that was not team-friendly.

On the other hand, if he wanted to sign an offer sheet for 7 years at $5 million per year, sure I’ll match that, but that’s not happening either.

Sounds like your changing your policy. Good idea.

The reason I picked 1 yr is because (assuming they can OS 1 yr deals), in essence, it’s a 4 year deal unless the team doesn’t give him a qualifying offer. Additionally the 12 million would be divided by 5 and the compensation would be minimal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad