Dreger: NHL Investigating Arizona Over Testing Draft Eligible CHL Players

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I guess you could argue that they would have a leg up on any sleepers in the 2nd and 3rd round - although every team is at a disadvantage without seeing how any prospects perform when it matters most.

If you take away their 2020 2nd, that leaves them with no picks until the 4th round. Anything more than that would be overkill.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
The pick is top 3 protected. If they don't land in the top 3, NJ should get the pick. Its straightforward.

The prospects Arizona cheated "with" are 2020 eligible, so they really shouldn't get a first round pick.
You are saying the exact same thing I have said all thread.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
There would be huge benefit to Arizona in the middle rounds too, not just their 1st rounder. They won't have a 1st anyway unless they win the lottery, which would be a pick that wouldn't take a lot of info to make.

Imo, it's picks they would have in rounds 2-4 that could be their big steals with their extra intel.

I'd say those are the ones to be taken away, and also don't let them trade for picks for the 2020 draft either.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If Arizona wins any part of the lottery, aka 1st, 2nd or 3rd. NJ shouldn't get the pick. The league will then take the pick.

IF the league decides to do this. Then the most likely scenario would be they get to give up 1 first in the next 3 years or whatever

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How so, I've heard multiple players praise him and they love playing for him.
How man this players come out and say “That coach sucks. I would never play for him again and no other guys liked playing for him either!”?

I feel like he’s one of those guys that just doesn’t work as a head coach. It didn’t look like it worked in Tampa either, although he had really lousy goalies, which isn’t the case in Arizona. Their goalies probably make him look better, outside of that year they had Scott Wedgewood playing in all those games there. His first year there.

I feel like he got the head coaching position because of how respected he was as an assistant with Pittsburgh and the back to back cup wins. Housley got a head coaching job the same year with Buffalo, after he was an assistant for the cup runner-up in Nashville, against those Pens that year.

MacLean’s power plays have been very bad. Even in New Jersey. And his head coaching stint was likely the worst in the history of hockey.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If Arizona wins the lottery I would expect the league to take that first round pick away and NJ gets their 2021 pick. If they don't win the lottery NJ gets this years pick and Arizona loses next years 1st. Either way, Arizona can't be allowed to pick first two rounds this year with the advantage they have on the remainder of the teams.

Looking at how well they have drafted the last 3 years It wouldn't surprise me if they have been doing this for a while.
What advantage do they have? Can you tell me what happened?

rt

May 13, 2004
I want Chayka fired for several reasons:

1. Domi for Galchenyuk then Galchenyuk and POJ for Kessel = 1 strike

2. Failing to fire Rick Tocchet AFTER acquiring Taylor Hall and watching the team backslide into oblivion. It was clear the coaching staff was a huge problem. It was clear there were available upgrades in Laviolette, Boudreau, and Gallant. Chayka failed to admit his mistake and move on from his coaching staff, and pursue obvious upgrades. He had this option when the playoffs were still within reach. That inaction = STRIKE 2

3. If the penalties play out as Strickland insinuates they may the Coyotes face the following:

2020 1st rounder = Traded (for a UFA)
2020 2nd rounder = Forfeited (NHL)
2020 3rd rounder = Traded (for a UFA)
2021 1st rounder = Forfeited (NHL)

2021 2nd rounder = RETAINED
2021 3rd rounder = Traded (for a UFA)

That's one pick in the the first three rounds of the next two drafts. One. A 2nd. And they have nothing to show for it. = STRIKE THREE

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Since when has the organization not been in trouble?

They literally have 300 fans show up on game day with the least expensive tickets in the league while receiving the highest amount of subsidizing from the teams that actually turn a profit.

Should have been moved to a real market ages ago.

Bingo.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
What advantage do they have? Can you tell me what happened?
Well I come from a military background so I play the guilty until proven inocent game. I'm sure it will come out soon enough. To gain as much headway as it has to date, i assume its substantial enough. I've seen a rumor it was balance and flexibility testing.

Reactions: Voight

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I cant see the NHL letting Arizona, under any circumstances, choose in the top 2 rounds this year.

The NHL literally took over Arizona. They are massively committed to the team. They will do whatever they can to make it succeed. If the team wins a top 3 pick. They will need to let them let it slide.

Reactions: Fairview

rt

May 13, 2004
Well I come from a military background so I play the guilty until proven inocent game. I'm sure it will come out soon enough. To gain as much headway as it has to date, i assume its substantial enough. I've seen a rumor it was balance and flexibility testing.
The headway bit is interesting. I’ve seen Dreger tweet and Strickland tweet. I’ve seen a bunch of people piggy backing off of those.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad