Dreger: NHL Investigating Arizona Over Testing Draft Eligible CHL Players

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Every team, in the end, will get a chance to combine and interview every (top) prospect. The advantage ARI got was an early look and more selective testing (I wouldn't even say more intensive)

I think then, if punishments are to go beyond a fine, that advantage should be taken away, and the punishment should be on the same level.

Arizona should pick last.
Move them to the back of every round, so that they're getting last dibs with their "extra" information

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The problem I see is that perhaps the appropriate penalty is too harsh based on how bad what they did is.

Because, the real value of the info they got is not just on one pick. The NHL commonly produces diamonds in the rough in rounds 3-5. So, you almost cannot let the Coyotes make any picks at all, which is a huge punishment.

The league is not just owners competing with each other. They don't want franchises to get sunk. They are more in it together than they are apart from each other. So considering the shape of the Coyotes today, I don't think other owners will want to go for the jugular.
I don't they would need to take all their picks. Maybe a couple of 2nd rounders (2020 and 2021).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They were? That sounds awful. What did they do?
Okay, they are being investigated for cheating. If they didn't, then no penalty. If they did, they should lose draft picks. I don't care if they are fined.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't they would need to take all their picks. Maybe a couple of 2nd rounders (2020 and 2021).
But then you are letting them used ill-gotten info to select players, and imo the later the round, the more useful the intel. A compromise could be you take their 2nd and then make it so they can't use any of their other picks, so force them to trade them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad