Dreger: NHL Investigating Arizona Over Testing Draft Eligible CHL Players

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
That doesn't look like a very reputable site...Is it just OP's hockey blog without any worthwhile information?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
They (the league) need desert hockey. Can't see it ending up that bad.
Huge difference between Needs and Wants.

For example the NHL "needs" a hockey team in NYC. If the Rangers and the Islanders suddenly joined a newly re-created WHA there would be monumental waves through virtually every aspect of the NHL business.

Does the NHL "need" so called desert hockey??? Come on...... They want it, and as a result have sunk a fair amount of effort, time, and money into somehow getting it to survive. But need???? Not on your life. Arizona could fold tomorrow and there would be implications, but certainly solvable implications. Unlike the NYC example.

NHL will deal with this however it deals with it. However, it won't be cutting Arizona any breaks because it "needs" them so bad.

Reactions: Voight

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
Since when has the organization not been in trouble?

They literally have 300 fans show up on game day with the least expensive tickets in the league while receiving the highest amount of subsidizing from the teams that actually turn a profit.

Should have been moved to a real market ages ago.
What hockey mecca are you from?

Reactions: Saint Vitus

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
If Arizona wins the lottery I would expect the league to take that first round pick away and NJ gets their 2021 pick. If they don't win the lottery NJ gets this years pick and Arizona loses next years 1st. Either way, Arizona can't be allowed to pick first two rounds this year with the advantage they have on the remainder of the teams.

Looking at how well they have drafted the last 3 years It wouldn't surprise me if they have been doing this for a while.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
I hope we eventually find out what this “testing” involved exactly. I’ve read it can be as minor as asking a player about their eating habits to as major as a full blown workout. I don’t think all actions that could fall under this rule are equal in seriousness.

Regardless of what the infraction was I hope it comes to light.
It’s a black and white rule though. Regardless of severity you can’t do it, and none of the other teams had the same advantage, that’s the point.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Using analytics to reconcile all of Chayka’s moves at the time they were made just makes him look like an even worse GM.
Yeah the only think “analytical” to me about his trade history is he loves to make big swaps pretty rapidly.

That said, I don’t agree that he’s been a disaster. They were bad when he took over and now they’re pretty good. Arizona is a difficult place to build a team. It’s not like New York where we have every advantage over most teams.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If Arizona wins the lottery I would expect the league to take that first round pick away and NJ gets their 2021 pick. If they don't win the lottery NJ gets this years pick and Arizona loses next years 1st. Either way, Arizona can't be allowed to pick first two rounds this year with the advantage they have on the remainder of the teams.

Looking at how well they have drafted the last 3 years It wouldn't surprise me if they have been doing this for a while.

NJ should get the pick this year.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah the only think “analytical” to me about his trade history is he loves to make big swaps pretty rapidly.

And the players he acquires in those swaps are tire fires from an analytical perspective. Look at Galchenyuk before the trade:

upload_2020-4-14_10-19-16.png

Sure, Domi didn’t look great either, but he was younger and better on both sides of the puck.

The Coyotes would very possibly have been a playoff team the past two years if they just hadn’t made this trade.

Reactions: 13 others

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
It’s a black and white rule though. Regardless of severity you can’t do it, and none of the other teams had the same advantage, that’s the point.
Correct, none of that changes my opinion that some things would be more impactful than others though, which is why I’m hoping the transgression eventually comes out because it can mean so many things and you wouldn’t be able to tell solely from the punishment levied.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Since when has the organization not been in trouble?

They literally have 300 fans show up on game day with the least expensive tickets in the league while receiving the highest amount of subsidizing from the teams that actually turn a profit.

Should have been moved to a real market ages ago.
This to a T.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
It’s the Coyotes so I feel a bit sorry for them, but the bottom line is they knowingly broke the rules and deserve whatever punishment they get.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Correct, none of that changes my opinion that some things would be more impactful than others though, which is why I’m hoping the transgression eventually comes out because it can mean so many things and you wouldn’t be able to tell solely from the punishment levied.
Really it comes down to whether you trust the League to give a fair punishment based on all the information they have, because you and I both know the full details won’t come out to the public.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad