Draisaitl vs. Matthews

Who will score more goals this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
Feel free to post 5v5 stats. I have many times and it still paints an ugly picture.

Okay I have watched Even Strength (while both on/off the ice)...and BÄM...Leon was slightly better without McD than McD without Leon...that means according your logic McD is trash...good lord...thats crazy.

Drai 1,88P/60 without McD
McD 1,87P/60 without Leon

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I think we're starting to see that this thread is full of people jumping the gun on a hot start....

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
The McDavid factor is hard to ignore, but so is Matthews natural goal-scoring ability.

I think AM will score more goals if he plays the entire season, otherwise it's Draisaitl.

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
Matthews will probably score more goals, but Draisaitl is the better player.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Drasaitl another 2 goals last night. Up to 12 on the year to co lead the NHL in goals tied with Pastrnak. He does it all. What a player.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Matthews had one of the worst 5v5 GA60 stats last year for fwds.
5v5 GA/60 (16/17-18/19):

Matthews: 2.60
Draisaitl: 3.03

But yeah, cherry pick his one outlier year where he played with two rookies. Put him right around noted horrible defensive players McDavid, Couture, Connor, Eichel, Couturier, Draisaitl, Barkov... I mean, not everybody can be the best defensive player ever, David Backes, right?

Maybe we could look at the year before, where he was significantly better than Kopitar, Toews, Couturier, Barkov, etc.

Or maybe 5v5 GA/60 (especially in one isolated season) doesn't tell the whole story about defensive ability...

SENSible67

Oct 31, 2019
Surprising result. Draisaitl plays like 5 minutes more a game, gets McDavid and scores at a lower per 60 rate (I think). If you are asking who will score more probably Draisaitl this year, but Matthews is probably better. I think about the age gap and I don't think this stays a debate much longer. Draisaitl has probably peaked. Moustache boy probably hasn't.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Surprising result. Draisaitl plays like 5 minutes more a game, gets McDavid and scores at a lower per 60 rate (I think). If you are asking who will score more probably Draisaitl this year, but Matthews is probably better. I think about the age gap and I don't think this stays a debate much longer. Draisaitl has probably peaked. Moustache boy probably hasn't.

A few points;

1) Ice time and increased production isn't a linear equation.
2) If you lack the conditioning and ability to play 24 minutes a night like Matthews, you are not going to be effective in those minutes.
3) The age gap between them is inconsequential.
4) Draisaitl's progression curve has been trending upwards each season whereas Matthews' seems to have pleateaued.
5) If Draisaitl peaks as a 50-55 goal, 50-55 assist - 110 point player, it will still be better than Matthews' extreme top end which looks to be projecting towards a 55g 45a player in a lucky career year.

Reactions: snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
A few points;

2) If you lack the conditioning and ability to play 24 minutes a night like Matthews, you are not going to be effective in those minutes.
4) Draisaitl's progression curve has been trending upwards each season whereas Matthews' seems to have pleateaued.
5) If Draisaitl peaks as a 50-55 goal, 50-55 assist - 110 point player, it will still be better than Matthews' extreme top end which looks to be projecting towards a 55g 45a player in a lucky career year.

Respecting point number 1, we debated at length last year this with Lightning fans.

The case study to look at for “production doesn’t increase linearly with more ice time” is Kucherov. Analyze his game splits from last season.

Under 22 mins - approx 1.5 ppg (I think it might have been much higher this is off the top of my head without going back)
Over 22 mins - approx 1.0 ppg.

So not only did it not increase linearly with more ice time, it actually decreased when he played heavier minutes.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
A few points;

That's not a conditioning issue.. That's a Mike Babcock issue. He won't give him the ice time that Draisaitl gets.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
because Matthews plays with scrubs? lol

Draisaitl does it all...scores goals, gets assists
and no, Drai hasn't peaked lmao

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Respecting point number 1, we debated at length last year this with Lightning fans.

The case study to look at for “production doesn’t increase linearly with more ice time” is Kucherov. Analyze his game splits from last season.

Under 22 mins - approx 1.5 ppg (I think it might have been much higher this is off the top of my head without going back)
Over 22 mins - approx 1.0 ppg.

So not only did it not increase linearly with more ice time, it actually decreased when he played heavier minutes.
I remember the discussion around that. I think most players, McDavid included, produce at a higher rate at or under that 22 min mark than they do above it. At some point, for most players, the increased ice time leads to diminishing returns.

McDavid has perhaps the best conditioning and recharge rate I've ever seen in an NHL player and has a unique ability to be able to play those minutes effectively however. Expecting Matthews to be able to do the same isn't realistic. And Draisaitl is on the penalty kill 2-4 minutes every night as well; something Matthews, by his own accord, doesn't have any interest in doing.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
That's not a conditioning issue.. That's a Mike Babcock issue. He won't give him the ice time that Draisaitl gets.
He's getting right around 20 mins a night which seems to be a sweet spot for him in terms of productivity, nothing wrong with that.

If he played on the PK he'd probably be around 22 minutes a night but he doesn't.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Cause he can't handle it or because he's a defensive liability out there, take your pick.

Uh, no. Because Babcock believes more in rolling the lines than going with a top heavy approach. It's the same for Marner and Tavares. They don't play McDavid/MacKinnon/Schiefele level minutes because he doesn't want them to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA