Who will score more goals this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
You think tavares has proven he cant score without marner? Thats an odd statement. Tavares was a hart trophy runner up with garbage linemates. Tavares has absolutely proven he does not need talent to produce. Hes proven he can make subpar takent produce. Like mcdavid makes subpar talent produce.

Mcdavid is ridiculous. He turned patrick maroon into a near 30 goal scorer. Now neal is scoring like crazy after a bunch of 40 point seasons. He might hit that by xmas now. I dont get how anyone can argue mcdavid doesnt have a MASSIVE impact on hisblinemates, especially when you look at draisaitls numbers without mcdavid.
I didn't say Tavares can't score without Marner -- not even close. I said Tavares' talent benefits from Marner's talent, just as Marner's talent benefits from his. I'd never say Tavares is a product of Marner; Marner simply made a star player better. Same is true with McDavid and Draisaitl. In fact, Draisaitl's scoring skyrocketed last season after he had already been playing with McDavid. Obviously, the kid took a big step forward.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I didn't say Tavares can't score without Marner -- not even close. I said Tavares' talent benefits from Marner's talent, just as Marner's talent benefits from his. I'd never say Tavares is a product of Marner; Marner simply made a star player better. Same is true with McDavid and Draisaitl. In fact, Draisaitl's scoring skyrocketed last season after he had already been playing with McDavid. Obviously, the kid took a big step forward.
But the difference is that draisaitl has shown repeatedly he doesnt produce without mcdavid. Thats the difference. Tavares has proven he will be the one boosting players like draisaitls stats.

Reactions: Hustlr

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
How can people look at what James Neal has done in Edmonton and still question the very real, and very large boost that comes from playing with McDavid?
James Neal does not play on a line with Connor McDavid.

James Neal has put up 3 of his goals and 2 assists without McDavid being involved in any way.

A couple of those power play goals came from deflections off of Draisaitl and RNH shots.

James Neal has a history of scoring goals in the NHL.

Reactions: Khomutov and MC2D

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
James Neal does not play on a line with Connor McDavid.

James Neal has put up 3 of his goals and 2 assists without McDavid being involved in any way.

A couple of those power play goals came from deflections off of Draisaitl and RNH shots.

James Neal has a history of scoring goals in the NHL.

You have made some good points here, but even still, 6 of his goals have come with McDavid on the ice.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Should we dock Matthews' PP points for scoring them with Tavares, Marner and Rielly on the ice?

You guys can only have it one way. You want 2 generational players? Sure, kazaaaammmm! Drai and McD and now the only 2 players in the generational category. Lock er up.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I have long said that despite less than elite linemates at 5V5, Matthews benefits heavily from the team he plays on. Especially so at 5V5, but on the PP as well.

Agreed.

I just always find it funny how it seems like McDavid is the only player discussed on this board that makes points with him worth nothing.

I get that McDavid is a much better player than Marner, Tavares, Rielly, etc, but they aren't exactly chopped liver. Do we need to come up with a formula? If a point with McDavid is worth 0, maybe a point with Marner would be worth 0.25? You could go the other way too with a point with someone like Lucic being worth 2 points.

LTM(Lucic to McDavid) adjusted points™

Last edited:
Reactions: MC2D

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Man, look at these guys throwing praise at McDavid when not too long ago they were arguing Matthew's was on the same level, other than price that is.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
You guys can only have it one way. You want 2 generational players? Sure, kazaaaammmm! Drai and McD and now the only 2 players in the generational category. Lock er up.

If you’re gonna spell it wrong at least spell it Rekt

No, unlike Leafs fans prematurely claiming the same for Matthews, nobody is calling Draisaitl a generational player.

Save for you.

He’s better right now than Matthews though.

Reactions: dukeofjive and MC2D

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
But the difference is that draisaitl has shown repeatedly he doesnt produce without mcdavid. Thats the difference. Tavares has proven he will be the one boosting players like draisaitls stats.
I know they have linemate-specific stats, but I don't know where to find them. Feel free to link me. I'd be surprised if Draisaitl is as ineffective as you say, but the numbers will tell the story.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I know they have linemate-specific stats, but I don't know where to find them. Feel free to link me. I'd be surprised if Draisaitl is as ineffective as you say, but the numbers will tell the story.
Naturalstattrick.com.

The numbers are unbelievable.
Almost 1200 minutes with mcd last year. 41 goals, 46 assists, 87 points.

Almost 600 minutes not with mcd. 9 goals, 9 assists, 18 points.

Leon Draisaitl - Teammates - Individual - Natural Stat Trick

He scores like a 3rd or 4th liner when not with mcd.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Naturalstattrick.com.

Freakin amazing site! I might binge for a couple of weeks and get back to you...

I changed the field from "Counts" to "Rates", since I think that's a better way to judge his production when he has such wildly different ice-times with linemates. At first glance, Draisaitl actually does better with Nugent-Hopkins than McDavid.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Freakin amazing site! I might binge for a couple of weeks and get back to you...

I changed the field from "Counts" to "Rates", since I think that's a better way to judge his production when he has such wildly different ice-times with linemates. At first glance, Draisaitl actually does better with Nugent-Hopkins than McDavid.
Yeah you can slice and dice tonnes of stats any way you want. Relative to team, rates, individual, with or without teammates, they have tonnes of stats that you can find out tonnes about a player.

You might want to break up 5v5 vs PP time if youre gonna make comparisons like that though. 60ish% of draisaitls ice with rnh was PP time, with all 3 on one line.

RNH plays on his own ES line mostly.

Reactions: Lshap

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
Naturalstattrick.com.

As always you are making lots of mistakes with your numbers...you are also including over 1 hour of penalty kill from Leon without Connor...

And at the same time you are including the time with Connor on the PP...Do it with ES and it´s not so bad...even McD´s numbers without Leon are not so elite.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
As always you are making lots of mistakes with your numbers...you are also including over 1 hour of penalty kill from Leon without Connor...

And at the same time you are including the time with Connor on the PP...Do it with ES and it´s not so bad...even McD´s numbers without Leon are not so elite.
Im not making any mistakes.

I never said it wss all ES. Its all situation.

Its no better with only ES time.

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
Im not making any mistakes.

I never said it wss all ES. Its all situation.

Its no better with only ES time.

You are not getting the point...If he´s playing on the PP (I do the math for you that´s 5 Players against 4) he shares there almost all his time with McD regardless of whether he is on MCD´s line or not...so there could be Ty Rattie instead of McD and he would get points there because of the man advantage, that means the PP is only pushing the shared numbers of Leon and McD...so this is not a fair factor...especially when e.g. AM has much better linemates on the PP...but whats even worth is you are including over 1 hour of ice time which Leons plays without Connor on the PK...What production are you expecting in this time? Do you get now what I mean? That´s not a fair assessment on any player in the world.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
You are not getting the point...If he´s playing on the PP (I do the math for you that´s 5 Players against 4) he shares there almost all his time with McD regardless of whether he is on MCD´s line or not...so there could be Ty Rattie instead of McD and he would get points there because of the man advantage, that means the PP is only pushing the shared numbers of Leon and McD...so this is not a fair factor...especially when e.g. AM has much better linemates on the PP...but whats even worth is you are including over 1 hour of ice time which Leons plays without Connor on the PK...What production are you expecting in this time? Do you get now what I mean? That´s not a fair assessment on any player in the world.
Feel free to post 5v5 stats. I have many times and it still paints an ugly picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad