Proposal: Draisaitl to Pit

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
This thread kinda doesn't make sense but getting Draisaitl you would need to offer:

Malkin retained
Guentzel
Atleast one 1st rounder
Maybe add in a Marino retained for a cap dump

Getting Draisaitl needs to hurt alot.

But yeah - not going to happen.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
One thing that I think went way under the radar, I offered Crosby or Malkin.

Do u guys even consider how many jersey's EDM would sell? How much profit that could bring to them? We life in a covid world, the value of money is huge..

There have been so many "money trades" in the summer where players were traded for cheaper and lesser players. The answer might still be "no" but some of the posts here are questionable.
It didn't go under the radar both trades are terrible and I doubt the oilers / Katz care about jersey sales they are probably doing alright with McDavid and drai . Also their owner isn't pocklington or melnyk

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

6stringmofo

Mar 12, 2015
Ottawa
I guess EDM wants to „win now“, so I would oder:

Dumoulin at 25%
Malkin
1rst/top prospekt

for

Draisaitl

Malkin is in the way to his old self (4P last 3 GP) and Dumo could help their defense.

I was even willing to offer Crosby if they turn down Geno.

Thoughts?

No one is going to step up to help Pittsburg.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
as a Penguin fan, I love this trade.

But if I were to guess the reaction of Oilers' management, I'm guessing there is at least 3 hours of laughter.

Reactions: TFHockey

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Not accurate. If the bolts offered Hedman straight up, the Oilers would take it. I believe also Mackinnon....

I wouldn't trade Drai straight up for either of those guys.

MacKinnon: different players obviously, but I'd argue Drai is at least equivalent. He's a better playmaker and better goal scorer. MacKinnon is perhaps better at generating his own offense and a better "game breaker" with his superior speed, but give Drai any two legit top six wingers, and he'll consistently produce more than Mac.

Hedman: I would probably do in a vacuum, but he's only got three more years on his contract, same as Drai, but I like the look of signing Drai at 29 better than I like the look of signing Hedman at 33.

Reactions: Seachd

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Do u guys even consider how many jersey's EDM would sell? How much profit that could bring to them? We life in a covid world, the value of money is huge..

There have been so many "money trades" in the summer where players were traded for cheaper and lesser players. The answer might still be "no" but some of the posts here are questionable.

especially OP, that post was hella questionable.

This one is second most questionable.

You offered trash value, put no thought in whatsoever other than “how can I fleece Edmonton” and now appear to be upset that not even your fellow Pens fans will back you up.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I honestly can't think of a single reasonable hockey trade involving Draisaitl.

Seriously- that player at that age, with that contract simply won't be moved under normal circumstances.
Point, sergachev, Barre-Boulet/Goodrow (extended at a good contract)

Honesty would be hard to pass up on.

Obviously no team is doing this, The value is fair tho

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008

The Oilers can sell Draisaitl jerseys for the next 10 years while they can only sell Crosby/Malkin for the next 3 years and those 3 years, they'll be on the downside of their careers with new teams. There's not much money to be made there that they couldn't make with Draisaitl, lol

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009

Like this one?

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis

This only works if the old, popular player is at least slightly the better player. But in this instance, the player you are trying to acquire is a) better b) younger c) cheaper.

Overall, it's terrible and absurdly unworthy of you attempting to defend it.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I wouldn't trade Drai straight up for either of those guys.

MacKinnon: different players obviously, but I'd argue Drai is at least equivalent. He's a better playmaker and better goal scorer. MacKinnon is perhaps better at generating his own offense and a better "game breaker" with his superior speed, but give Drai any two legit top six wingers, and he'll consistently produce more than Mac.

Hedman: I would probably do in a vacuum, but he's only got three more years on his contract, same as Drai, but I like the look of signing Drai at 29 better than I like the look of signing Hedman at 33.
Maybe you wouldn't but hockey GMs would . Hedman is the best D in the world. Mackinnon is equal or better... his stats may not show it this year but he is. Oilers make either one of these if offered..

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Maybe you wouldn't but hockey GMs would . Hedman is the best D in the world. Mackinnon is equal or better... his stats may not show it this year but he is. Oilers make either one of these if offered..

Edmonton does not trade Draisaitl for MacKinnon straight up.

I don't think they do it for Hedman either, quite honestly. He just turned 30. Trading Draisaitl's 25-30 year old years for Hedman's 30-35 year old years isn't a good idea.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I guess EDM wants to „win now“, so I would oder:

Dumoulin at 25%
Malkin
1rst/top prospekt

for

Draisaitl

Malkin is in the way to his old self (4P last 3 GP) and Dumo could help their defense.

I was even willing to offer Crosby if they turn down Geno.

Thoughts?

If the Oilers want to "win now" why wouldnt they keep the better higher scoring player? Your trade would have to be based on the notion that Malkin is better than Drai right now....

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
Ask desperate for a 1c Habs fans if they'd trade Nick Suzuki straight up for Malkin and see the response you get then compare Suzuki to Drai

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
DRAI + NEAL FOR
CROSBY + MALKIN + LETANG ALL RETAINED 50 PERCENT.
Id honestly think about it. Malkin and Letang only have a year left, so after one year of cap hell you've got a 1C for the next decade locked up. We could even take a run at bringing Malkin and Letang back as UFAs in a year. Neal has 2 years left so maybe we buy him out of his last season, once the retention is off the books.

Guentzel - Drai - Rust
Zucker - Bleuger - Kapanen
McCann - Jankowski - Neal
ZAR - Lafferty - Tanev
O'Conner/Poulin

Matheson - Marino
Pettersson - Ceci
POJ - Friedman
Ruhwedel

Jarry
DeSmith

Crosby, Malkin and Letang retained at 50%
Blueger - 2.5M
Jankowski 1M
ZAR - 2M
Ceci - 2.5M
Dumo traded

Believe it or not this fits the cap. If we could move Dumoulin for a better 2C, this isn't necessarily better, but it's not a bad lineup and it is set up to build into the next decade. Once Malkin and Letang's retention come off in a year, you sign a UFA or two and go.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Id honestly think about it. Malkin and Letang only have a year left, so after one year of cap hell you've got a 1C for the next decade locked up. We could even take a run at bringing Malkin and Letang back as UFAs in a year. Neal has 2 years left so maybe we buy him out of his last season, once the retention is off the books.

Guentzel - Drai - Rust
Zucker - Bleuger - Kapanen
McCann - Jankowski - Neal
ZAR - Lafferty - Tanev
O'Conner/Poulin

Matheson - Marino
Pettersson - Ceci
POJ - Friedman
Ruhwedel

Jarry
DeSmith

Crosby, Malkin and Letang retained at 50%
Blueger - 2.5M
Jankowski 1M
ZAR - 2M
Ceci - 2.5M
Dumo traded

Believe it or not this fits the cap. If we could move Dumoulin for a better 2C, this isn't necessarily better, but it's not a bad lineup and it is set up to build into the next decade. Once Malkin and Letang's retention come off in a year, you sign a UFA or two and go.

It might work out well for Pit, not so great for Edm.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Draisiatl is heading into his prime if he's not already in it. Meanwhile, the Penguins will soon be entering a rebuild. If they have the pieces to acquire him (Malkin, Guentzel, Marino, Jarry, Rust, later picks), the timing doesn't align.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Top selling NHL jerseys of 2019-2020: Sidney Crosby, two Dallas Stars lead the best sellers

Please check jersey sales first..

Crosby in 5 years sells way war more than in that time, and then Draisaitl can go to FA.

Heck i guess every 2nd canadian hockey fan would get one.

Draisaitl can be as good as he wants to, he will never catch Crosby because he is not from canada.

"Wins are good, winning longterm is important too, but you know what I really care about? Jersey sales. Let's f***in do it" - Ken Holland, not ever.

No fan gives a damn about the team selling jerseys. I know you don't know a damned thing about the Oilers, but literally every Oiler fan I know has a McDavid or a Draisaitl jersey, sometimes both.

Quit while youre behind, your proposal sucks and there is no scenario where you're able to turn either Crosby or Malkin into Leon Draisaitl.

Crosby at least has term, unlike Malkin, but Draisaitl is a better player today and a core part of our team.

Jersey sales as an argument :laugh:

Hey Leon, thanks for everything you've done for our team, but we traded you for Jamie Benn and some spare BS Dallas had lying around. He was higher in jersey sales - you get it

Last edited:

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Top selling NHL jerseys of 2019-2020: Sidney Crosby, two Dallas Stars lead the best sellers

Please check jersey sales first..

Crosby in 5 years sells way war more than Leon in that time, and then Draisaitl can go to FA.

Heck i guess every 2nd canadian hockey fan would get one.

Draisaitl can be as good as he wants to, he will never catch Crosby because he is not from canada.

You realize that all jersey sales, except those directly in team stores, get divided evenly between the entire league, right? Is selling maybe 10k jerseys out of their arena worth trading one of the best players in the league for a star past their prime?

It would be like trading Malkin in 2011 for Jarome Iginla.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00