Draisaitl @ 8.5/8yrs vrs Matthews @ 11.63/5yrs

Who do you choose?

• Total voters

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Playing with the league's best producer: 1

Fixed that for you and that 70 point crap is humorous. That's all based on injuries nothing else.
What's going to happen if Matthews finishes with 79 points at the end of this season? Are those same people going to crap on him for not being an 80 point player? So they are just using 70 points as some stupid arbitrary number.

Reactions: The List Of Jericho

axman15

Sep 6, 2012
Toronto
11.634 is a lot to pay for a guy who has difficulty cracking 70 points, doesn't show up in the playoffs and misses 15-20 games a year due to being fragile. Not to mention that 11.634 is pretty much all RFA years...

man times have changed since Toronto was trying to convince everybody that Matthews was on McDavids tier, he's battling it out in the tier with Eichel, Marner, Draisaitl, Barzal, Rantanen etc.

They really have, haven't they... feels like just yesterday Edmonton was trying to convince everybody they were in Toronto's tier as another up and coming team in the league... instead they're battling it out with Arizona and Anaheim at the bottom of the league

Regarding the poll, this is closer than I'd like to admit but I think it's still Matthews. Like others have said, elite goalscorers > elite playmakers in my eyes & there's enough of a difference to make up for the 3 million.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Bull ****. You know exactly what your point was and now you’re back peddling.

Face it, dude. Draisaitl's a 50 point guy without McDavid as evidenced by what he produced in his first full season in the league without McDavid on his line.

Didn't you know judging players on how they produce as rookies/sophomores is the best way to determine how good they are?

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Face it, dude. Draisaitl's a 50 point guy without McDavid as evidenced by what he produced in his first full season in the league without McDavid on his line.

Didn't you know judging players on how they produce as rookies/sophomores is the best way to determine how good they are?
Matthews is still bashed for not scoring 70 points in his rookie season, so isn't the same thing happening to him which you are complaining about?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Matthews is still bashed for not scoring 70 points in his rookie season, so isn't the same thing happening to him which you are complaining about?

What?

First of all, the Matthews not scoring 70 points is stupid to begin with. So two stupid points don't make a smart point.

Second of all, as stupid as it is, the argument is Matthews has never scored 70 points, period. Not just 70 as a rookie.

Third, it's a stupid point to bring up about Matthews, just as using Draisaitl's first full season as "proof" of anything is a stupid point.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
70+ point seasons:
Player A: 2
Player B: 0

Top 10 point finishes:
Player A: 1
Player B: 0

The season Draisaitl is currently having also is better than any season Matthews has had by a significant margin.

The biggest thing is the UFA years though.

Valid production analysis: 0

Reactions: kundahlini

Mar 26, 2010
I’m going to make a prediction.

If Matthew loses this poll, it’s not because of rational reasons regarding the contract but because HFboards/the universe is always picking on the Leafs.

That being said, I think it’s close. I don’t like the length of the Matthews deal being only five years, which is why I’m voting for Draisaitl.
You are voting for Draisaitl because you hate the Leafs. No other reason, you are not fooling anyone.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
No player that was ever in a similar or better tier of on-ice production as Matthews in their ELC has ever signed a second contract that penalized them for a relative lack in ice time. We shouldn't expect that for Matthews.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What?

First of all, the Matthews not scoring 70 points is stupid to begin with. So two stupid points don't make a smart point.

Second of all, as stupid as it is, the argument is Matthews has never scored 70 points, period. Not just 70 as a rookie.

Third, it's a stupid point to bring up about Matthews, just as using Draisaitl's first full season as "proof" of anything is a stupid point.
Others still use the excuse that Matthews never scored 70 points yet in a season, although at least you realize it's a stupid excuse to keep bashing him.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
You are voting for Draisaitl because you hate the Leafs. No other reason, you are not fooling anyone.
That's possible or he sees that really isn't much difference between the two and he's picking Drai over Mathews? To me they are both pretty equal and well the contracts you already know. Drai will be a steal when Mathews re-ups.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Even if they did not play together I think that only proves my point that without ridding shotgun with McDavid, it showed that Draisaitl needed him to get his points.
And there is 0 player growth?
Marner was a 60 point forward till Tavares showed up. While obviously it’s not all Tavares boosting his points, a lot of it was player growth and development from a young star like Mitch. Same thing with Draisaitl, he’s twice the player he is today than the one he was McDavids rookie season.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
What's going to happen if Matthews finishes with 79 points at the end of this season? Are those same people going to crap on him for not being an 80 point player? So they are just using 70 points as some stupid arbitrary number.
Everyone on this site recognizes Matthews talent wise is a 40 goal 100 point caliber center.

It’s just a lot of leaf fans find arbitrary digs at other teams players, so it’s a comeback. Doesn’t mean anything if you don’t let it.

Reactions: dukeofjive

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
Don't know enough about Draisaitl, but he seems to be putting up good numbers. The Matthews contract is terrible, so I'll vote against him.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
lol this is easy. Matthews is a legit star player capable of leading a team. Draisaitl is a second line centre capable of scoring 50 points without McDavid.

Easy Matthews, Draisaitl could be paid $5M or less even, and I'd still take Matthews.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Everyone on this site recognizes Matthews talent wise is a 40 goal 100 point caliber center.

It’s just a lot of leaf fans find arbitrary digs at other teams players, so it’s a comeback. Doesn’t mean anything if you don’t let it.
Honestly I remember the 40 goals Matthews had during his rookie season.

It's others on here that keep bringing up Matthews never scoring 70 points so they can bash him.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
The past three season.

Drai 0.99 PPG
Matthews 0.98 PPG

yeah, maybe Draisaitl will make the Hall of Fame. they have the player category, the builder category, and they can induct him in the new compiler category.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Honestly I remember the 40 goals Matthews had during his rookie season.

It's others on here that keep bringing up Matthews never scoring 70 points so they can bash him.
I’m saying there are some fans on both sides who opt for attacking the opponent rather than propping up their guy.

That’s why the whole arbitrary 70 point thing comes up a lot imo. But yes, it is arbitrary

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad