Draisaitl @ 8.5/8yrs vrs Matthews @ 11.63/5yrs

Who do you choose?

• Total voters

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I love all of these AINEC, LOL type posts. [mod] this is a pretty close poll, as it should be. Matthews is probably the better all around player, although Drai is having the better year this year. Drai make 3 mill less for the next 5 years, and then is signed for 2 more. Matthews may be a slightly better player, but I'm taking Drai and his contract.

Last edited by a moderator:

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
As a Leafs hater (I lived in Toronto for 10 years off and on) and a Draisaitl-booster since his WHL (his game has translated 100%), I'd have to say Matthew slightly because I value elite finishers over elite playmakers.

Draisaitl is not a passenger, lol. If he is... then Matthews is injury-prone like Hall (and what do you know.. he's injured again this season).

An elite sniper that can score at will is more valuable than a setup player like Draisaitl or Backstrom. Matthews playmaking ability is just okay - it can improve much like Draisaitl's shooting has... but neither will be elite in those areas.

All fair points but the thing I don't get what people are overlooking is Drai is also a very good finisher, maybe not elite like AM is. Hence the reason he's tied 3rd in goals right now. Then you consider the fact Drai is also an elite playmaker and passer while playing better defensively and better at FO it becomes a pretty interesting conversation. AM is definitely the better overall player because he's got a better shot, better hands, deceptive speed and overall skill but it's not that far of a gap IMO.

I'd take Drai on contract term alone, it's not even so much about the money. AM will be getting like 15+m after 5 years while Drai is on 8.5 and this won't even be a conversation.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The question is not who is the better player. The question is whether Matthews is worth another 3.13 million over 3 less years. That's 36% more over three less years.

Who do you choose?

Matthews

Im a habs fan we've had more than 3.13M$ in cap space a few years running. You can do less with it than you think

The question absolutely is who is the better player and pick accordingly. I think thats Matthews so i pick him

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
McDavid is in a tier of his own as the most talented player to come along in decades.

Matthews and Draisaitl are both phenomenal young players lumped in a tier with about 10-15 others that includes Mack, Barzal, Marner, Eichel, Rantanen, etc.

I think "decades" is a stretch considering Crosby was literally 10 years before him. But yes, for McDavid and other young players, there's a clear gap in talent level.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I don’t think these is a massive difference between the 2, so I’d take Draisaitl based on the fact that he has a much better contract.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Matthews is a lot better than Draisaitl...without contracts it’s AM ainec, considering contracts I guess I wouldn’t fault someone taking Draisaitl for the 3 extra years but I’ll take better player and worry about re-signing him after the 5 years.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Excluding McDavid makes sense, I could easily see the argument there. To me it goes like this:

McDavid

Mackinnon
Matthews
Eichel

Rantanen/Drai/Marner/Barzal

To me the first four are easy to rank, the Rantanen/Drai/Marner/Barzal tier is really hard to separate though. Point probably belongs in that tier somewhere as well.

Rantanen should be ahead of Eichel IMO

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Draisaitl is a 50 point centre that might score 20 goals when centring his own line.

The oilers have to play him on McDavids wing to try and justify that horrible contract. That’s how bad it is. Oilers would rather have 1 line and keep losing just so they can try and justify this garbage contract :laugh:

Reactions: LeafsNation75

julkki

Oct 27, 2015
Draisaitl is a 50 point centre that might score 20 goals when centring his own line.

The oilers have to play him on McDavids wing to try and justify that horrible contract. That’s how bad it is. Oilers would rather have 1 line and keep losing just so they can try and justify this garbage contract :laugh:

Winner of the saltiest comment of the week award.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Eh, I would normally pick Matthews in a player poll, but contract poll I like the longevity. I don't think Matthew's contract is as bad as people are making it however.

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Is Matthews horrible defensively or why are there so many posters claiming Draisaitl to be better defensively?

At least on the Oil board one of the constant complaints many posters have about Draisaitl is that he is lazy (esp. Defensively). Case in point: Kane’s second goal against Edmonton last night. Drai didn’t bother to cover his man and Kane got to walk 1-1 against Talbot.

And just to be transparent I voted for Matthews. From my viewings he passes the eye test. He just has to stay healthy for a lengthy period of time.

I know the raw points and contracts are on Drai’s side, but Matthews is a gamer (who is slightly overpaid though).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Is Matthews horrible defensively or why are there so many posters claiming Draisaitl to be better defensively?

At least on the Oil board one of the constant complaints many posters have about Draisaitl is that he is lazy (esp. Defensively). Case in point: Kane’s second goal against Edmonton last night. Drai didn’t bother to cover his man and Kane got to walk 1-1 against Talbot.

And just to be transparent I voted for Matthews. From my viewings he passes the eye test. He just has to stay healthy for a lengthy period of time.

I know the raw points and contracts are on Drai’s side, but Matthews is a gamer (who is slightly overpaid though).

Leon's a pretty good PKer, and not bad in the neutral zone/in his own end most nights.

All this being said. Gotta go with Matthews. He'll give you the most uninspiring 40 goals a season, but he'll still give you 40 goals a season. You can put him with a couple scrubs and he'll still get his goals. Leon, if you put him with scrubs at the centre role will struggle tremendously.

E76

Sep 29, 2018
They're both overrated and slightly overpaid. I can't vote for either. As the results are showing, its about even.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Matthews contract is pretty brutal. My prediction is honestly Matthews will probably be worth the extra 3+ million over the next 5 years, but those last 3 years Matthews will be getting 16 million per year on his 3rd contract and Draisaitl still going to be at 8.5, it's not even close who is better valued at that point.

Even these next 5 years, it'll be close. Draisaitl's resume is nothing to sneeze at, and it looks this will be his 3rd straight year of outscoring Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad