Draisaitl @ 8.5/8yrs vrs Matthews @ 11.63/5yrs

Who do you choose?

• Total voters

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Draisaitl, proven producer, not injury prone and a playoff beast, cheap long term contract.

Matthews, injury prone, never reached 70 points, never been out of the 1st round or top 10 in scoring, overpaid contract.

Reactions: karnige

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Draisaitl, proven producer, not injury prone and a playoff beast, cheap long term contract.

Matthews, injury prone, never reached 70 points, never been out of the 1st round or top 10 in scoring, overpaid contract.

Draisaitl has been on a team with best player on the planet and has been to the playoffs 1 year in his 4 seasons in the league, about to be 1 year in 5 seasons. Teams with 2 elite Centre do not fail to make the playoffs repeatedly regardless of weaknesses in other areas of the team. If Drai were elite he could drive his own line and Edmonton would be able to have 2 lines that could generate scoring. The fact that he is tied to McDavid shows that he is not capable of producing without him in the coach’s eyes.

Do you think Matthews would produce more points if he played on a line with Marner and Tavares? Do you think the Leafs would be a better team if they stacked a top line and couldn’t generate scoring from the other 3? Only one of these 2 players has consistently produced without playing with the other top player on their team.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Matthews for me. He belongs in a tier with Mackinnon/McDavid/Eichel where I feel Drai is one tier down with the likes of Rantanen/Barzal/Marner.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
If Drai is a passenger, Matthews is invisible in most games unless he gets an opportunistic chance or two.

Not just the playoffs. Big games too. Especially against teams like the Bruins that grind the Leafs down. Matthews is always MIA in those ones.

Draisaitl is MIA if he’s not on mcdavids wing :laugh:

I guess AM’s 4 goals in 6 games against Washington weren’t big games. I don’t know if there is a more bs poster on here then you. Trying to come into HfLeafs being all friendly then you spew garbage on the main boards. Get real.

Fact is oilers only have 2 good players, and one of those good players is only good when he plays on mcdavids wing.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Draisaitl has been on a team with best player on the planet and has been to the playoffs 1 year in his 4 seasons in the league, about to be 1 year in 5 seasons. Teams with 2 elite Centre do not fail to make the playoffs repeatedly regardless of weaknesses in other areas of the team. If Drai were elite he could drive his own line and Edmonton would be able to have 2 lines that could generate scoring. The fact that he is tied to McDavid shows that he is not capable of producing without him in the coach’s eyes.

Do you think Matthews would produce more points if he played on a line with Marner and Tavares? Do you think the Leafs would be a better team if they stacked a top line and couldn’t generate scoring from the other 3? Only one of these 2 players has consistently produced without playing with the other top player on their team.

Put Matthews on the Oilers with Draisaitls wingers and see how he produces. Edmonton doesn't have the luxury of Marners, Tavares, Kadri ect to spread out the focus. Nice try comparing the teams and situations directly though. Matthews benefits from playing on a 100% better team in almost every way. Draisaitl has done more with less.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014

Excellent post. Matthews scored 40 goals with a 20 point Zachary Hyman and rookie Nylander on his line. I’m not sure if Draisaitl would of reached 10 goals in that situation.

Reactions: Voight

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Put Matthews on the Oilers with Draisaitls wingers and see how he produces. Edmonton doesn't have the luxury of Marners, Tavares, Kadri ect to spread out the focus. Nice try comparing the teams and situations directly though. Matthews benefits from playing on a 100% better team in almost every way. Draisaitl has done more with less.
we've already seen how Matthews produces with wingers like Hyman + Brown. turns out he led the league in 5v5 goals with most of his production coming with those two, and he did it as a rookie

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
You do realize that Matthews scored 40g as a rookie playing with hyman and nylander/brown right? You sound dumb saying this.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
we've already seen how Matthews produces with wingers like Hyman + Brown. turns out he led the league in 5v5 goals with most of his production coming with those two, and he did it as a rookie

Slightly OT, but I really don't get the disdain Hyman gets from Leaf fans. Yes, he's got hands of stone, but he does so much to help a line with regards to the other stuff (ie. forechecking pressure, board work, driving to the net, puck retrieval).

If the Pens acquired him and put him next to Sid/Guentzel, you'd never hear a peep out of me because he does everything that line would need out of its third wheel.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
You do realize that Matthews scored 40g as a rookie playing with hyman and nylander/brown right? You sound dumb saying this.

How many years you guys gonna ride that once upon a time story that never repeated? This one time at band camp..........

Comparing what matthews is surrounded by on defence/goal/forward to what Draisaitl has played with is just being brutally dishonest with yourself. Oh no Hyman!! He does all the heavy lifting and dirty work defensively and in the corners so Matthews doesn't have to and can focus elsewhere.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Slightly OT, but I really don't get the disdain Hyman gets from Leaf fans. Yes, he's got hands of stone, but he does so much to help a line with regards to the other stuff (ie. forechecking pressure, board work, driving to the net, puck retrieval).

If the Pens acquired him and put him next to Sid/Guentzel, you'd never hear a peep out of me because he does everything that line would need out of its third wheel.
probably because his offense is so lacking and he plays on a scoring line. he'd be a fan favourite if he was in the bottom 6 for sure. he produces points at the same level as Fred Gauthier, and he's playing with Marner and Tavares. I think disliking him as a player is misguided though, because he works very hard and it's not like he asked to be glued to the top 6

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario

There's no point in arguing with that poster. He's got a raging hard-on for all things anti-Leaf. Just look at his avatar. It's a picture of Matthews wincing in pain. Not exactly someone you're going to be able to engage with in an honest conversation.

Reactions: Voight

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Matthews for me. He belongs in a tier with Mackinnon/McDavid/Eichel where I feel Drai is one tier down with the likes of Rantanen/Barzal/Marner.

McDavid is in a tier of his own as the most talented player to come along in decades.

Matthews and Draisaitl are both phenomenal young players lumped in a tier with about 10-15 others that includes Mack, Barzal, Marner, Eichel, Rantanen, etc.

Reactions: dukeofjive

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Draisaitl

Much better contract. Producing more this year. Proven playoff beast. Already shown crazy chemistry with McDavid.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Draisaitl already has a top 10 points finish and is currently 3rd in goals and 7th in points.

He’s also outproduced Matthews every year they’ve been in the league together.

His deal is a really good deal considering it also covers 3 UFA years.
Yup and when Matthews contract expires Drai will still be making 8.5M while Matthews new contract will probably pay upwards of 16M per season.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
How many years you guys gonna ride that once upon a time story that never repeated? This one time at band camp..........

Comparing what matthews is surrounded by on defence/goal/forward to what Draisaitl has played with is just being brutally dishonest with yourself. Oh no Hyman!! He does all the heavy lifting and dirty work defensively and in the corners so Matthews doesn't have to and can focus elsewhere.
Oh you mean the best player to come out of junior since Crosby? Poor Drai... :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->