Draisaitl @ 8.5/8yrs vrs Matthews @ 11.63/5yrs

Who do you choose?

• Total voters

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
probably because his offense is so lacking and he plays on a scoring line. he'd be a fan favourite if he was in the bottom 6 for sure. he produces points at the same level as Fred Gauthier, and he's playing with Marner and Tavares. I think disliking him as a player is misguided though, because he works very hard and it's not like he asked to be glued to the top 6

He scored 40 points last year, and is on pace for slightly under 45 points this season. And that's with zero PP time, so that production is largely 5on5. Combine that with the stuff he's tremendous at away from the puck, and I think people don't realize what he brings to those lines.

I just think Leaf fans use him as a scapegoat too often to try and prop up the skilled guys on that line by saying they'd produce more with someone better than Hyman. IMO, that completely ignores the stuff he does very well away from the puck that allows the skilled guys to do their thing.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Do Matthews PPG away from Marner, NY lander, Reilly, Gardiner, Kadri :laugh:

You included 2 Dmen, and 2 forwards that he almost never plays with 5 on 5 in Marner and Kadri. Nylander has missed half the season to this point. Who is he mooching his points off of this season? Marleau, Johnnson, Kapanen? All line drivers in their own respect.....right?

You also realize that none of those players are comparable to McDavid correct.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Matthews lol.

The first team that will dump Draisaitl for Matthews would be the Oilers themselves. McDavid + Matthews? They might actually make the playoffs with that combo even if their management is hot garbage.

Matthews has played with Marleau and rookies on his wing for the whole season and still puts up points.

Reactions: Voight and Mitchy

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
You included 2 Dmen, and 2 forwards that he almost never plays with 5 on 5 in Marner and Kadri. Nylander has missed half the season to this point. Who is he mooching his points off of this season? Marleau, Johnnson, Kapanen? All line drivers in their own respect.....right?

You also realize that none of those players are comparable to McDavid correct.
Who said I was talking about 5 on 5 lol

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Matthews lol.

The first team that will dump Draisaitl for Matthews would be the Oilers themselves. McDavid + Matthews? They might actually make the playoffs with that combo even if their management is hot garbage.

Matthews has played with Marleau and rookies on his wing for the whole season and still puts up points.

Oh for sure. Replace Draisaitl with Matthews on the Oilers and you have an instant cup contender rather than a team battling for 30th overall.

Reactions: WilliamNylander

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
McDavid is in a tier of his own as the most talented player to come along in decades.

Matthews and Draisaitl are both phenomenal young players lumped in a tier with about 10-15 others that includes Mack, Barzal, Marner, Eichel, Rantanen, etc.
Excluding McDavid makes sense, I could easily see the argument there. To me it goes like this:

McDavid

Mackinnon
Matthews
Eichel

Rantanen/Drai/Marner/Barzal

To me the first four are easy to rank, the Rantanen/Drai/Marner/Barzal tier is really hard to separate though. Point probably belongs in that tier somewhere as well.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Do Matthews PPG away from Marner, NY lander, Reilly, Gardiner, Kadri :laugh:

Awful comeback, none of those players are close to mcdavids caliber and Matthews is one of the top 5v5 goal scorers with Zachary Hyman.

Also according to HF nylander sucks, Gardiner sucks and kadri is a 3rd like centre. Cmon man you can do better then that.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Excluding McDavid makes sense, I could easily see the argument there. To me it goes like this:

McDavid

Mackinnon
Matthews
Eichel

Rantanen/Drai/Marner/Barzal

To me the first four are easy to rank, the Rantanen/Drai/Marner/Barzal tier is really hard to separate though. Point probably belongs in that tier somewhere as well.

Yeah, Point is somewhere in those groupings as well.

This generation of players are pretty damn incredible. After McDavid there’s those guys in some order, the coming years we should see some awesome hockey.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
One player makes a team now. Good to know, tell that to the league and have them adjust the standings to reflect McDavid's raw talent. :laugh: Poor Matthews having absolutely nobody to play with. LOL

Did you feel the wind as the point went over your head?

Draisaitl doesn’t just play with a talented player. He plays with the current best player in the league and best prospect since Crosby.

Of course he is going to produce he is a good a very talented player. Matthews is an elite scorer already and the point is being made that Matthews has done this as the primary player on his line, something Draisaitl has yet to do.

Reactions: WillTheThrill

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Did you feel the wind as the point went over your head?

Draisaitl doesn’t just play with a talented player. He plays with the current best player in the league and best prospect since Crosby.

Of course he is going to produce he is a good a very talented player. Matthews is an elite scorer already and the point is being made that Matthews has done this as the primary player on his line, something Draisaitl has yet to do.
I guess you missed the point yourself bud. The Oilers don't have nearly the same players to surround Draisaitl with on his own line that Mathews has the luxury of playing with. Come please tell me how much better the Oilers wingers and defence are than the Leafs. LOL

I'm sure if Matthews played with McDavid he'd get less injuries suddenly.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
One player makes a team now. Good to know, tell that to the league and have them adjust the standings to reflect McDavid's raw talent. :laugh: Poor Matthews having absolutely nobody to play with. LOL
I'd love to see what Matthews could do on McDavid's wing. We saw a glimpse of it when they played together on Team North America a few years ago. Maybe when McDavid finally gets sick of that shit hole we will see it again in Toronto :naughty:

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
I guess you missed the point yourself bud. The Oilers don't have nearly the same players to surround Draisaitl with on his own line that Mathews has the luxury of playing with. Come please tell me how much better the Oilers wingers and defence are than the Leafs. LOL

I'm sure if Matthews played with McDavid he'd get less injuries suddenly.

He is playing with Marleau and Kapanen. Matthews is outscoring them by 16 and 21 points while playing in 14 less games.

Draisaitl plays the majority of his time with a McDavid, Connor is currently outscoring him by 14 points in 1 less game played.

Please attempt to tell me how Draisaitl inflates McDavid’s point totals and how Matthews is the product of his linemates.

Reactions: WillTheThrill

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
Awful comeback, none of those players are close to mcdavids caliber and Matthews is one of the top 5v5 goal scorers with Zachary Hyman.

Also according to HF nylander sucks, Gardiner sucks and kadri is a 3rd like centre. Cmon man you can do better then that.

This is a perfect example of the double standard that a lot of HF holds Drai too. I do not see how people can fault Drai for not producing as much with players such as Lucic but then immediately say their own players production is independent of their wingers. Which is it? The standards must stay the same.

Also, Kadri is a 3 line center. He might crack #2 on some teams but the guy does produce like a top tier #3 C. Are you suddenly going to say that if Kadri had better wingers that he would produce more? That would be a nice double standard.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
HF loves to overrate cap savings on star players. Draisaitl is great, but Matthews is a tier above. You pay your best players and figure out the rest.

Reactions: Mitchy

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Even though i dont like either id take Draisaitl because of the monster playoffs he had in 2017. Matthews just doesnt seem like the kind of guy who can take over games.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
HF loves to overrate cap savings on star players. Draisaitl is great, but Matthews is a tier above. You pay your best players and figure out the rest.

Eh, I think it depends on what your team needs. If you need a pure goal scorer then you would lean towards Matthews but if you need a elite player maker then you would lean towards Draisaitl. The next season should show us how these two players rank assuming that the Oilers actually fix their roster a touch.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Matthews for sure.

Most of the game is played at 5 on 5, where the Oilers struggle (other than McJesus). Matthews is way better than Drai 5 on 5.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Eh, I think it depends on what your team needs. If you need a pure goal scorer then you would lean towards Matthews but if you need a elite player maker then you would lean towards Draisaitl. The next season should show us how these two players rank assuming that the Oilers actually fix their roster a touch.

You wouldn’t lean towards Draisaitl, ever.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
You wouldn’t lean towards Draisaitl, ever.

Based of past and current performance you would most certainly lean on Draisaitl as a play maker. He is one of the best passers in the game and he can score when needed. This may change next year if Matthews is healthy for an entire season and we get so see what he can do with a full season but right now they are fairly comparable. Matthews definitely has the potential to be the better player but his injuries are holding him back. 3 million a year in salary is pretty significant and it is something that cannot be overlooked.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I'd love to see what Matthews could do on McDavid's wing. We saw a glimpse of it when they played together on Team North America a few years ago. Maybe when McDavid finally gets sick of that **** hole we will see it again in Toronto :naughty:
Idk if Mcdavid would be willing to go to Arizona in UFA

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
You know its bad when Matthew's once compared to McDavid is now barely winning a poll against Draisaitl.....and with that contract Draisaitl wins a nailbiter !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad