Draft #12 - Max Domi

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Awesome videos, thanks for posting.

"Sick, eh? Phoenix!" Probably the first time that phrase has been uttered by a Canadian :laugh:

Looks like mom brought a homemade protein plate for him to the draft. Upside of him having diabetes is that he is and will continue to be fanatical about his diet and conditioning.

"Phoenix has the best coach" also put a smile on my face

Great videos. I bet we'll see a lot of these types as he grows up due to the name. Love it.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It's funny that mom is such a mom. Puts his preference on blast. If we had picked Wennberg, she'd have really been in trouble. Also funny to see a teenage kid scolding Tie Domi for being a jynx.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
It's funny that mom is such a mom. Puts his preference on blast. If we had picked Wennberg, she'd have really been in trouble. Also funny to see a teenage kid scolding Tie Domi for being a jynx.

:laugh: right? Such a badass in his day getting sass from a 17 year old. I never realized how nerve racking that must be until watching that video. I don't blame him for getting irritated. :laugh:

I love the dude. By far my favorite draft pick since Boedker (no offense to OEL, had no idea how he would turn out due to his late rise). This really answers the question that he wanted to come here, and how stoked about it he actually is. The comment about Tippett being the best coach out there was definitely cool as well, coming from a former player. Goes to show the street cred we may have out there in the hockey world. Thanks to Tippett and Maloney, we have a happy Domi and Ribeiro. Goes to show we aren't always handed the **** end of the deal. Gretzky resigned at the most opportune time. Not often that coaches such as Tippett are out of a job.

Desert Glory

Feb 26, 2012
PHX
Awesome videos, thanks for posting.

NP, The people that made them did an amazing job.

I still can't stop smiling at that exchange towards the end of part 2. It also kind of makes we wonder if Tie / mom knew something Max didn't. You have to think they knew they were being recorded and that it would be awkward if we didn't take him.

Tie: Phoenix has the best coach though eh?
Mom: Well thats where he wants to go. Can I come visit you at least?
Max: Mom stop, stop.
Tie: This is the one.

Best exchange ever. :)

Last edited:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
You have to think they knew they were being recorded and that it would be awkward if we didn't take him.
You didn't get to see all the stuff on the editing room floor :laugh:

Cool videos, I liked the banter between Domi / Horvat / Nurse / whoever else in the photo room after. As much as we pump these guys up to be grown men, the fact that they're all 18 year old kids shines through when you hear them asking about a city and using the words, "sick, eh?" as a complete sentence. :laugh:

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
"Sick, eh? Phoenix!" Probably the first time that phrase has been uttered by a Canadian :laugh:

Looks like mom brought a homemade protein plate for him to the draft. Upside of him having diabetes is that he is and will continue to be fanatical about his diet and conditioning.

"Phoenix has the best coach" also put a smile on my face

Great videos. I bet we'll see a lot of these types as he grows up due to the name. Love it.

I love it too. Never thought I'd see the day when a star prospect, who grew up in Trawhna would be excited about coming to Phoenix. :)

We've come a long way in the last 5 years.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Nice videos. Someone should post those in the Domi thread on the prospect board in response to the whole "Domi said he didn't want to play in Phoenix" crap.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Keep in mind I've been in love with this prospect for years.

#destinedtofail

I've been obsessive about Mikkel Boedker, Alex Burmistrov, Jordan Caron, Jared Knight, Jordan Schroder, Boone Jenner, Tomas Hertl, Henrik Samuelsson, Vladislav Namestnikov, Curtis Lazar, and Max Domi in recent years. We shall see how they pan out. Haha.

To a lesser extent, Marko Dano and Tomas Tatar.

Last edited:

12Gage09

Jul 14, 2013
London
He meant he wanted him in Toronto. I assume he's both a Leafs fan and a Knights fan. Kind of how many of us might like to see a star player from ASU drafted by the Cards. Or if Henrik Samuelsson went a few picks before us, we might say that we wish he went to the Yotes.

I'm not a leafs fan. but i watch them sometimes because they are the team that is broadcast here in London. grew up watching Tie Domi and the Leafs even though my team is Ottawa. It's just a good story, like it would have been if Seth Jones went to Colorado even tho I'm glad MacKinnon went 1st overall.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I feel like Tippett is going to have a love/hate relationship with Domi. That's a dangerous pass at the NHL level, but you have to give creative guys some freedom.

If Tippett can survive Yandle's penchant for fancy/risky passing at times, I'm sure he'll live with Domi's. But I'm betting that we fans will have our moments of love/hate with Domi's passing as well, haha.

RABBIT

I feel like Tippett is going to have a love/hate relationship with Domi. That's a dangerous pass at the NHL level, but you have to give creative guys some freedom.

If Tippett can survive Yandle's penchant for fancy/risky passing at times, I'm sure he'll live with Domi's. But I'm betting that we fans will have our moments of love/hate with Domi's passing as well, haha.

Ray Whitney did it all the time, I think once he really gets it down Tip won't mind at all. After all, that type of hockey sense and creativity is why we drafted him.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Ray Whitney did it all the time, I think once he really gets it down Tip won't mind at all. After all, that type of hockey sense and creativity is why we drafted him.

Plus, had that pass gone awry it would be less painful than some of Yandle's defensive zone turnovers.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
Ribero is going to get free roam too. If Domi shows he can back check and play decent in the other two zones I don't see Tip having problems with that kind of pass.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Ribero is going to get free roam too. If Domi shows he can back check and play decent in the other two zones I don't see Tip having problems with that kind of pass.

Agreed...Tippett already has Ribeiro and knows how he plays, it will be nice to see Domi w/Ribeiro in the future knowing how creative guys like to play with each other.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Definitely. I think we've been used to conservative offensive play over the years under Tippet due to our lack of talent, but as we gradually improve our pool of offensive talent, we also have to accept that generating offense sometimes requires risk-taking and taking the inhibitors off. Being creative offensively and still being generally responsible/effective in the other two zones aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Whitney, Ribeiro, and Yandle have all demonstrated to an extent during their time under Tippett.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Tip gets heat for his treatment of young offensive stars and while some of it is deserved, at the end of the day if the players do that, they will get their ice time. It's not that Tip doesn't like offensive players, he just doesn't like players who won't play at least adequate defense. They don't have to be a net positive but they sure as hell won't be allowed to be a net negative.

TheMurdocktor

102, Row K, Seat 4
Jul 11, 2010
Glendale, AZ
Boedker had to earn his stripes playing more of a defensive-oriented game than he was used to and it paid off for him.

Domi just has to follow Mikkel's path and he'll be successful.

I have a strong feeling he'll be on the team to start the year.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Boedker had to earn his stripes playing more of a defensive-oriented game than he was used to and it paid off for him.

I would like to see Domi play again in juniors go for another memorial cup, but I will say that he does have a few items that would make him more mature to handle the pros.

1 - his dad played so he's been around the game and knows the effort it takes and how to handle yourself as a professional

2 - living with diabetes, he has to be disciplined in his eating habits and that i'm sure has helped him w/his maturity

he's a lot farther along than Mikkel was at the same age, you can just tell, from the way he conducted himself at the draft.

RABBIT

Tip gets heat for his treatment of young offensive stars and while some of it is deserved, at the end of the day if the players do that, they will get their ice time. It's not that Tip doesn't like offensive players, he just doesn't like players who won't play at least adequate defense. They don't have to be a net positive but they sure as hell won't be allowed to be a net negative.

Exactly. Any naysayers of Tippett should just look at OEL. In his 2nd year of playing professional NHL hockey he was a first line defenseman and play3dthe most minutes. If you can play both aspects of the game which is absolutely critical in today's age, you will play and you will play a lot. That's why they made Rundblad play another season the the AHL.

I think Domi can make the roster this year, but I'm going to agree with Sindiggy and assume that they are going to play it safe and send him back to juniors for one more year. They've been burned before. That said, I love what they are doing. They are giving Max all the confidence in the world by showing faith in him. He deserves it too, excellent hockey player who is absolutely psyched about playing for the Coyotes. At the same time, they are letting players know who have been in the big show before like Yip, Brown, Miele, and Brule that they are not guaranteed. They know in the back of their mind that an 18 year old kid could come in and take their spot away. Personally, I think this is going to be Maloney's and Tippett's hardest training camp yet. Brule and Yip are excellent 4th liners, Miele and Brown have the potential to be solid NHL players for the rest of their careers, and Domi is arguably the most talented offensive prospect the Coyotes have had in YEARS....and they are all fighting for one spot, trying not to burn any bridges. In my opinion, I believe it's going to go down like this...I think Domi is going to have an excellent training camp, as well as Yip, Brule, Miele, Lessio, and Brown. I think they are going to give Domi his 9 games allotted in the season, and sign Brule or keep Yip...sending down players like Brown and Lessio for one more year, but promising Miele some playing time this year, and letting him know he's almost there but there is just too many players on the roster at that moment. *Remember, Miele chose US when he was a free agent because Maloney convinced him he would get playing time, and he deserves it, so it's time for staff to step up and show him.*

But I digress, I think after Domi has his 9 games of NHL playing time, they tell him they want him to go back for one more year, and then come back and tear it up in 2014-2015, giving the winner of the fight between Yip and Brule the open position on the 4th line.

Then it gets interesting. Does Maloney make a trade for a top 6 winger including roster players that will open up spots for said players such as Miele and Yip/Brule/Brown? Who knows, but this is undoubtedly one of the most difficult training camps we've seen...for the players AND they staff. Too much talent is a good problem to have, we'll see what they do with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad