Draft #12 - Max Domi

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Very pleased with this pick. On draft day, I was still holding out hope the Coyotes could nab someone like Monahan or Lindholm, but I had Domi 8th on my list (and the Coyotes had him even higher apparently), so this is probably the best I could have hoped for without trading up.

Domi is a terrific prospect in a vacuum, but he fills a colossal need on this team for a skilled scoring forward, and I love that his skillset should compliment Samuelsson's (assuming they both get the penalty thing under control). I think both of them project as wings in the pros, but they could be terrific linemates someday.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Wow, reading some really high praise from Maloney on Domi in McLellan's and Morgan's draft recaps. So glad he and the scouts were pretty much eye-to-eye with us would-be ones this year. :)

Link to the recaps?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Nice to hear Rick Knickle say that Domi is not small, he's short.

I get very tired of people confusing those two things.
Oh man don't get me started rt, don't get me started!!! When watching the draft the other day I heard several references from panelists about how X player is small and needs to get bigger to handle the physicality of the NHL. That's all well and good but they'd say it about players like Domi which is infuriating. They'd literally then turn around and praise some 6'2" and 170lbs kid for his size. I'd understand if they were talking about his ability to see over people or something like that but they're not, they were referencing physicality. It's just so silly, someone needs to explain to these people the concept of mass.

This guy here is only 5'7", we're very concerned about his ability to handle the physical side of the game.

Gorilla.jpg

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
London Knights' seasons ticket holder here to congratulate the Coyotes on an excellent selection, and offer my own scouting report.

For what it's worth, I've seen almost every game that Max Domi has played in the OHL (home--live; away--t.v. or online), and here's what you can expect from the kid.

He's a dynamic player, pure skill, very quick, amazing hands, good shot, and excellent passer (his highlight reel 'between the legs saucer pass/assist' in the Memorial Cup will make your head spin).

The comparisons with Martin St. Louis are fair.
Domi's size is not an issue; the kid is 'thick' = solid. He's around 5'10 and 195, he's no twig! Strong on his skates. I think he'll need to work on his defensive game before he makes the jump to the NHL, but that will come with time.
I've heard and read others compare him to a player like Marchand, and I really hate this comparison. Marchand, Robeiro, Bolland are "pests", "agitators", and Domi will not develop into that brand of player. Yes, it's true that he can get under the skin of opponents with the stick work/slash, but that's not the hallmark of his game.
Like I said, he's pure skill. He will not fight. At least I don't recall him ever dropping the gloves, and he seems to avoid any invitation to drop the gloves.

This is a great selection. Enjoy! (but please return him to London for the upcoming season!) :)

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
London Knights' seasons ticket holder here to congratulate the Coyotes on an excellent selection, and offer my own scouting report.

For what it's worth, I've seen almost every game that Max Domi has played in the OHL (home--live; away--t.v. or online), and here's what you can expect from the kid.

He's a dynamic player, pure skill, very quick, amazing hands, good shot, and excellent passer (his highlight reel 'between the legs saucer pass/assist' in the Memorial Cup will make your head spin).

Domi's size is not an issue; the kid is 'thick' = solid. He's around 5'10 and 195, he's no twig! Strong on his skates. I think he'll need to work on his defensive game before he makes the jump to the NHL, but that will come with time.
I've heard and read others compare him to a player like Marchand, and I really hate this comparison. Marchand, Robeiro, Bolland are "pests", "agitators", and Domi will not develop into that brand of player. Yes, it's true that he can get under the skin of opponents with the stick work/slash, but that's not the hallmark of his game.
Like I said, he's pure skill. He will not fight. At least I don't recall him ever dropping the gloves, and he seems to avoid any invitation to drop the gloves.

This is a great selection. Enjoy! (but please return him to London for the upcoming season!) :)
How would you compare him to recent Knights Nazem Kadri and Patrick Kane?

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
How would you compare him to recent Knights Nazem Kadri and Patrick Kane?

All three are dynamic, flashy players, very high skill level, and high compete level. Kane had the best hands of any player that I've ever seen pass through London. Domi is a close second. No disrespect to Schremp, Perry, Gagner, Kostitsyn, Bolland, etc... Domi is a high energy player--he's always using his speed. His quickness really stands out along with his skill at handling the puck. Domi can deliver big hits but he does not hit with the frequency of Kadri. Kane rarely delivered body checks. Kadri turned the puck over too much in junior hockey for my liking. He tried to beat players one-on-one too often. Domi uses his teammates more effectively.
Of the three, only Domi arrived in London as a 16 year old, and he was the most skilled 16 year old that I ever saw wear the green and gold.
Kane is not a big player, but has gone on to become a star in the NHL. I hope Domi's size does not prove to be an issue (it doesn't concern me) and so far his diabetes has not proven to be an impediment.
How would I rank them in terms of overall talent and potential?:
1) Kane
2) Domi
3) Kadri

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
All three are dynamic, flashy players, very high skill level, and high compete level. Kane had the best hands of any player that I've ever seen pass through London. Domi is a close second. No disrespect to Schremp, Perry, Gagner, Kostitsyn, Bolland, etc... Domi is a high energy player--he's always using his speed. His quickness really stands out along with his skill at handling the puck. Domi can deliver big hits but he does not hit with the frequency of Kadri. Kane rarely delivered body checks. Kadri turned the puck over too much in junior hockey for my liking. He tried to beat players one-on-one too often. Domi uses his teammates more effectively.
Of the three, only Domi arrived in London as a 16 year old, and he was the most skilled 16 year old that I ever saw wear the green and gold.
Kane is not a big player, but has gone on to become a star in the NHL. I hope Domi's size does not prove to be an issue (it doesn't concern me) and so far his diabetes has not proven to be an impediment.
1) Kane
2) Domi
3) Kadri
Thanks for the detailed response. This is exactly what I was looking for. I know they don't exactly play the same styles, and I doubt Domi reaches Kane's level. I was just wondering what someone who watches them play on a regular basis thought about his chances of becoming a top line player compared to someone like Kadri, who appears to have put it together finally.

AZcoyotes33

Jun 2, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
Domi's size is a non-factor in my eyes. I mean Derek Roy is listed as 5'9 184 and he has had a successful NHL career. Domi is already bigger than that and he is still a young kid that is going to continue to grow and mature.

Im really excited to see if he can win a spot on the ARIZONA coyotes this season.... at least a few games before his rookie contract kicks in.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
1) Kane
2) Domi
3) Kadri

Awesome insight. Thank you.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

Thanks for the report, it's always awesome to hear views from someone on the ground. As for Domi's size, I see it as a complete non-issue. He's short but he's not small at all!!

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
All started over someone thinking he mouthed "I don't want to play for them" and Tie saying "why would you say that?" in return.

it all started because people gave it creedence by responding to the original poster... imagine how nice if everyone just ignored it and any every other post by a blatant anti-Coyotite. ;)

75% of this thread is wasted text because of it.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
oh cool, really good info beginning on this page. I forget what game I saw on nhl network, but it was probably middle of season, but Domi was underwhelming that game. excited by the pick and positive comments by the kid about the coyotes.

rt, your new signature should be...

" this poster should never be underestimated"

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
The thing I like most about that highlight reel is that he's got excellent hockey IQ because he's very decisive. He knows what he's going to do before he gets the puck. You'll notice he doesn't wait himself out of a scoring chance or try to deke one too many moves. It's very much puck-stick-net. Snipe after snipe. Most of those goals are pro calibre shots from about the hash marks.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The thing I like most about that highlight reel is that he's got excellent hockey IQ because he's very decisive. He knows what he's going to do before he gets the puck. You'll notice he doesn't wait himself out of a scoring chance or try to deke one too many moves. It's very much puck-stick-net. Snipe after snipe. Most of those goals are pro calibre shots from about the hash marks.

Took the words right out of my mouth (of course you put them better, haha). I also love how he puts away rebounds with zero hesitation. He doesn't get the Shane Doan-itis where his eyes get huge, he double clutches, and ends up biffing it because he was squeezing the stick and forgetting to breathe. Haha. He just puts it home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad