Draft #12 - Max Domi

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
Domi was already a bubble guy. Canada usually has a much bigger camp though with 30+ players invited. This year it's much more condensed with only 25 named to the camp and just a couple of cuts. Under the old system he would have had a pretty good chance to play his way onto the team in camp but this really shoehorns team Canada into a what-you-see-is-what-you-get roster. Not sure I like the philosophy change.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
While I'm far from a regular Knights fan, I've been following the team and watching their games a lot more this season than before w/ the Nucks drafting Horvat.

Domi's been having a fairly average to below-average season thus far and seems to be picking up a reputation as a selfish player (stupid/careless penalties, dirty plays). With the exclusion of Domi, as well as other highly-touted prospects like Nurse and Poirier, it looks like Team Canada's trying to promote a stronger team game with more discipline (all three seem to have a knack for taking stupid/lazy penalties at times).

Since there was really only one spot for a higher risk offensive player having average seasons, looks like they went with Shinkaruk who's more of a goal scorer (as lanky said) and is more familiar to Sutter (playing in the WHL and all).

At the end of the day, it doesn't take anything away from him as a prospect. There's so much great, young talent available for Team Canada's World Junior team that it's mostly just the coach's preference.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
While I'm far from a regular Knights fan, I've been following the team and watching their games a lot more this season than before w/ the Nucks drafting Horvat.

Domi's been having a fairly average to below-average season thus far and seems to be picking up a reputation as a selfish player (stupid/careless penalties, dirty plays). With the exclusion of Domi, as well as other highly-touted prospects like Nurse and Poirier, it looks like Team Canada's trying to promote a stronger team game with more discipline (all three seem to have a knack for taking stupid/lazy penalties at times).

Since there was really only one spot for a higher risk offensive player having average seasons, looks like they went with Shinkaruk who's more of a goal scorer (as lanky said) and is more familiar to Sutter (playing in the WHL and all).

At the end of the day, it doesn't take anything away from him as a prospect. There's so much great, young talent available for Team Canada's World Junior team that it's mostly just the coach's preference.

Makes sense. Hopefully this'll light a fire under Max.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Indeed, hopefully he learns from this bit of adversity, realized he has to earn things, and plays with a chip on his shoulder for the rest of the season.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
Wth is going on with our team lately??? We can't play defense to save our lives, GM has gone bonkers w/ personnel moved, coach has no clue where our players are, our top prospects need motivation, etc. seems like all this began once we had ownership settled. The captains need to have a closed door meeting of some sort.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Uhhhhhhhh I thought he was a shoe-in???

Paging hbk or rt, what does this mean?

It's a tournament for 19 year olds and Domi is 18. He has the skill but hasn't been dominating like he should thus far this year offensively. He also has the tendancy to take very selfish penalties which will kill a team in this tournament (see my draft day comments for more)

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
It's a tournament for 19 year olds and Domi is 18. He has the skill but hasn't been dominating like he should thus far this year offensively. He also has the tendancy to take very selfish penalties which will kill a team in this tournament (see my draft day comments for more)

Some have speculated that next year when he is 19 that he'll be a shoe in. Problem is that there is a high probability he will be playing for the Yotes next year. :yo:

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
Domi isn't the first highly talented player to be shunned from the WJC. The list is long and a lot of them have turn out to be very good pros. This only sucks because we won't be able to watch him. Oh well I really didn't want to root for Canada anyways...:p:

Pat Paeplow

May 16, 2013
I don't buy the excuse that it's only for 19 year olds. I understand that is typically Canada's rationale but a quick survey of their invitees and I see Zachary Fucale, Aaron Ekblad and Connor Mcdavid. Fucale and Domi are the same draft year while Ekblad and McDavid are even younger.

I get that Ekblad and Mcdavid are two of the most highly regarded prospects in the world but I don't see why Hockey Canada couldn't have at least invited Domi to camp. He almost made an NHl roster a few months ago. You're not naming him to the final roster; you're just buying yourself another month of evaluation.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I agree. It's not an age thing, I don't think. I suspect he just didn't fit into Sutter's plans. He probably felt he had enough offense-first little wingers on the squad already. Now, why he chose those kids rather than Domi, I guess that's the question. Could be WHL bias, maybe? I didn't get a chance to watch the Super Series, so I don't know how Max showed, there.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I agree. It's not an age thing, I don't think. I suspect he just didn't fit into Sutter's plans. He probably felt he had enough offense-first little wingers on the squad already. Now, why he chose those kids rather than Domi, I guess that's the question. Could be WHL bias, maybe? I didn't get a chance to watch the Super Series, so I don't know how Max showed, there.

This seems most likely to me. Given the names that made the cut, it looks like they want roleplayers in the bottom six, rather than just picking the best overall forwards and seeing how it shakes out. Wouldn't be my strategy, but it's not an uncommon one. To that end, it didn't help that Domi had kind of a slow start (probably a direct result of sticking around in camp for so long).

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I think tc23 (above) got it right regarding discipline. Domi, Nurse and Leipsic are all guys that play on the edge, and they are three of the most notable players left out of camp. A WHL bias and a goal-scoring winger bias probably also hurt Domi's chances.

FYI... Domi showed a ton of skill in the subway super series, but it looked like his mandate was to get McDavid a goal. McDavid was snake-bitten though.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
My take, being from Eastern Canada and following the Juniors closely the last several years, I've definitely seen a serious WHL bias when it comes to national selection, so that's a very unfortunate but likely explanation. Also, I don't know how much weight this holds, but I've heard that the couple games they went to observe Domi play he didn't play well (I seriously hope they didn't disqualify the guy after a game or two considering his overall resume and have a hard time believing this).

The 19 year olds only is garbage, Domi would have been one of the older and most experienced guys on the team to be honest.

The most likely reason for his exclusion for me has to be tc23's take about Canada not wanting risky discipline problems. I still believe that he, Nurse, and Connor Brown at the very least deserved a camp invite. Hockey Canada sucks sometimes (a lot of the time) :laugh:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Guys the point about the age is the tournament is typically played by 19 year olds and we shouldn't lose any sleep about a non selection because he has another year of eligibility. It's essentially the same scenario as we had with Samuelsson last year (another skilled but selfish player).

It's not a question about skill with Domi. He has elite hands. The scouting report is the same as I've been touting since before the draft. Selfish penalties and a hot head. I've seen him play a couple games this year and Domi is too skilled for this teammates. He literally can create offense out of nothing. His line mates unfortunately routinely just aren't finishing. Unreal creativity.

Don Cherry apparently made some comments about Domi's non selection. He felt it was a mistake.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think the Samuelsson snub had more to do with BS politics that exist in the Team USA camp concerning US players who've left for the CHL.

There's politics with Canadian team as well.

In the end U.S. Won gold last year. Hard to argue with their final selections.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
So far this draft has lived up to it's hype, at least the 1st round, and it's only been a quarter of the season. Mackinnion looks great, Jones already a top pairing defenseman. Drouin looks to be the next Datsyuk, dangling the jock straps off of veterans of the game. Monahan leading the way in Calgary, Horvat was a roster cut away from making arguably the most talented offensive team in the league in his first camp. Elias Lindholm making a name for himself in Carolina...the scouts look to be on point so far. This draft year has some serious potential to become the best class since 2003.

Max Domi has already shown us flashes of brilliance, haven't been this excited about a prospect in a while. Here's to hoping we have a future first liner on our hands here, center or winger. Loving this draft class, it has looked awesome so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad