Down Bad: Evander Kane Begging Jake Paul to fight him

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Being a dangerous striker in MMA and being a dangerous striker in boxing is very different. I also don't understand how you can promise Kane doesn't understand positioning. What is that based on?
The only reason Askren wasn't completely embarrassed for entirety of the stand up of his MMA career is because the threat of takedown. Mind you he still had plenty of embarrassing moments in there

Reactions: Offtheboard412

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Which would mean something if it were a YT off, or shit talk off or whatever “skills” the Paul’s have that made them relevant.

But the Paul’s want to act like pro athletes and shit talk pro athletes at the same time? Can’t hide behind some bullshit shield of relevance. Jake needs to step up or shut up. People would pay to see it just because a Paul is involved and many, many people are waiting on an Evander to lay them out.

Bigger names = more viewers = more money. We are all biased, we are on a hockey forum. To the general public, Kane is nobody, literally not famous at all outside of maybe Canada. He isn't a blip on Jake Paul's radar. Jake only cares about the spectacle and the attention, he'd give Kane the fight if we was a bigger draw but he's not. Jake Paul is being called out by UFC Champions, the younger brother of Tyson Fury, Logan Paul is fighting Floyd Mayweather ffs.

Kane is just a nobody in their world and not worth their time

Reactions: Another AZ

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Being a dangerous striker in MMA and being a dangerous striker in boxing is very different. I also don't understand how you can promise Kane doesn't understand positioning. What is that based on?
Yes, striking in MMA is different, but it's a hell of a lot closer than hockey or 'I boxed a bit as a kid'. Most of these guys spend at least some time training pure boxing as a cross train as well. I'm not using this fight to say he'd hang with a pro boxer, we're talking about a hockey player who might have some background. I'm pretty sure even some lower tier journeyman boxer would handle Paul easily, and Mayweather could be 90 years old and weigh 8 pounds and still beat him at this point, but Evander Kane?

It's based on 0 professional and amateur fights. Experience is so critical here.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
Which would mean something if it were a YT off, or shit talk off or whatever “skills” the Paul’s have that made them relevant.

But the Paul’s want to act like pro athletes and shit talk pro athletes at the same time? Can’t hide behind some bullshit shield of relevance. Jake needs to step up or shut up. People would pay to see it just because a Paul is involved and many, many people are waiting on an Evander to lay them out.
Again, I’d personally love to see it, you sound like you’d love to see it but nobody else knows who the f*** Evander Kane is and that fight wouldn’t draw any money and Jake P. Knows that. He’s a prize fighter. He isn’t going to risk having his ass handed to him by a nobody. Evander Kane isn’t going to make Jake Paul any more known, that’s why he shoots his mouth off to people with status now. Those two are absolutely clowns but they are not dumb. They know what branding is all about.

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
I'm pretty sure his SPC has a clause in it preventing him from partaking in activities that could result in injuries.

So a Fake Paul fight should be absolutely fine then? Bigger risk of injury walking down the stairs.

Kane's an absolute clown but this is really hitting it low. Show some dignity guy...

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
The only reason Askren wasn't completely embarrassed for entirety of the stand up of his MMA career is because the threat of takedown. Mind you he still had plenty of embarrassing moments in there
Go watch him stand with Jay Hieron and tell me he has no credibility as a striker. A lot of people would look stupid next to Masvidal.

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
People like the Paul Brothers represent everything I hate about the world we live in and the fact that they are rich/famous whilst making everyone that views their content that much dumber for doing so irks me. Whilst Kane is no saint, I would take great pleasure in seeing him K.O one of those idiots. I know people keep saying it will be a shit draw, but I disagree. The simple fact that Kane is a hockey player and a ton of casual american fans still have all these stereotypes of hockey players being nothing but fighting goons will draw a crowd. Not as much as Floyd but much much more than Nate f***ing Robinson.

Reactions: Samhockey3 and TB12

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
"Years of training" Jake Paul has not trained anything compared to real boxers - maybe a couple hours a day in fight camps for a couple months leading up to each of his fights. Professional boxers train every day of the year, multiple sparring session a day. Their life, not even their job, their life is boxing. For Jake it's just a side gig. He's not a fighter. That said, he would probably beat up Kane today. Different story if Evander can put a year aside and train like a full time boxer. We all know that's not happening though.

Also, even if Jake has the fundamentals it doesn't mean too much - so do plenty of 10 year olds. It's about whether he can bring those skills in a truly adverse environment. Neither Ben Askren nor Nate Robinson is that. To be fair to Jake though, almost all professional boxers' first few fights are against trashcans, so who knows, maybe if he puts in the work and all goes right he could one day be up there with the best
I think we're on similar pages.

I'll add that from what some of the boxers who trained him have said in interviews it sound like he is training full time and taking this pretty seriously. So my assumption is that he is sparring and training regularly year round the last year or two. Maybe I'm wrong in that but it sounds like he wants to become a pro, or at the very least whatever degree of pro you consider Butterbean.

Agreed if Evander Kane quit hockey and re-dedicated himself to boxing yeah it could (potentially) get real different real quick. But like you said, no way it happens.

As for adverse environments, I'm with you. That's why I believe he'd handle Kane easily (and it sounds like we agree there?) because Ben Askren is a much more credible threat than anything Kane has ever seen or can present. Again, not calling him comparable to a pro boxer.

Yeah, athlete from another sport is about as credible as the cab drivers a lot of guys are fed early on. But those guys being built up usually have amateur pedigree and other stuff to back them that Jake does not (Olympic medals are common ffs) so I'm not sure it's comparable either. Whatever Jake is doing it seems to be very much an original plotline.

EDIT: Also, don't think this means I like Paul or even know enough about him to like or dislike or defend or hate him. I pretty much just became aware of him when Tyson started talking about him. As for Kane, getting involved with a clown show like this... is just not good for Kane, especially given the timing and that I believe he could get seriously hurt.

Last edited:

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
The fact that Evander Kane is calling out Jake Paul on social media just shows that Evander Kane doesn't have too many brain cells in his head.

Can you imagine Sidney Crosby calling out Jake Paul on social medial?

Sidney Crosby would probably feel embarrassed if he accidentally found himself in the same room as Jake Paul.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
As we all know, Evander Kane is in a massive amount of debt. So the man has now resorted to going on Twitter to beg Jake Paul to fight him.

Is this fight going to happen? Would you watch it? Would the NHL allow him to do it while he's under contract? Do you even care?

Didn't he already try to goad him months ago?

Reactions: skinmez

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Bigger names = more viewers = more money. We are all biased, we are on a hockey forum. To the general public, Kane is nobody, literally not famous at all outside of maybe Canada. He isn't a blip on Jake Paul's radar. Jake only cares about the spectacle and the attention, he'd give Kane the fight if we was a bigger draw but he's not. Jake Paul is being called out by UFC Champions, the younger brother of Tyson Fury, Logan Paul is fighting Floyd Mayweather ffs.

Kane is just a nobody in their world and not worth their time
Again, I’d personally love to see it, you sound like you’d love to see it but nobody else knows who the f*** Evander Kane is and that fight wouldn’t draw any money and Jake P. Knows that. He’s a prize fighter. He isn’t going to risk having his ass handed to him by a nobody. Evander Kane isn’t going to make Jake Paul any more known, that’s why he shoots his mouth off to people with status now. Those two are absolutely clowns but they are not dumb. They know what branding is all about.
I get that, but I don’t respect it. If you want to seen as a legitimate athlete and get some respect, take on a legitimate athlete that’s challenging you. If they want to just keep making money and get clicks, then they can keep acting like spot picking, part-time money athletes.

Athletes enjoy their crafts getting mocked as much as an actor enjoys an athlete showing up late and messing up lines when they try to make side money acting.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
As we all know, Evander Kane is in a massive amount of debt. So the man has now resorted to going on Twitter to beg Jake Paul to fight him.

Is this fight going to happen? Would you watch it? Would the NHL allow him to do it while he's under contract? Do you even care?

Part of his contract actually does not allow him to engage In any other sport that can jeopardize his health.

In other words, play sports that can get him into an injury.

He can get seriously hurt if he does boxing.

I’ve learned of this clause when luc bourdon got killed.

a player can’t even play in a beer league if they wanted too. They can train, train with other nhl players on ice training but can’t engage in another sport.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Askren may be a wrestler first, but he was in there with real killers and both took their shots and traded with them. The guy's 19 wins include 5 knockouts by way of punches against pro fighters. If you think Evander is a more dangerous striker than a pro MMA fighter of any type you're nuts. Askren's corpse on sheer instinct will punch, feint and take a punch better than Kane at his best, and he understands positioning which I promise Kane does not.
I don't think you understand just how bad Askren was in his stand up game. Mainly because you're mixing TKOs with KOs - taking a guy down, getting him in position and hitting him repeatedly as a result of fantastic wrestling is very different from knocking a guy out. The reason he was able to stand in there with killers was because of the threat of the takedown.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
The fact that Evander Kane is calling out Jake Paul on social media just shows that Evander Kane doesn't have too many brain cells in his head.

Can you imagine Sidney Crosby calling out Jake Paul on social medial?

Sidney Crosby would probably feel embarrassed if he accidentally found himself in the same room as Jake Paul.

Actually Im pretty sure Crosby has no idea who Jake Paul is.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Actually Im pretty sure Crosby has no idea who Jake Paul is.
That is possible.

Although Sidney strikes me as the type of guy who watches sports highlights, any sports highlights, to see if he can learn anything from what he might see.

So he probably has heard about Jake Paul, but probably just laughed to himself and turned the channel.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
We're seriously lowering the bar to say that Jake Paul has legitimate boxing skills. He doesn't.
He understands distance and has some distance control. He has feints in his arsenal and some angles. He has a jab, a check hook, an overhand right, which he can throw moving forward or backwards. Not to mention that he knows a couple of traps to set up that overhand.

Is going to be a top boxer? Never in 50 years because he started way too late. But for 3 years of training, his understanding of boxing is far beyond the average person with 3 years of training. It's easy to see that he has some world class boxers in his camp.

There a lot of people calling him out (celebs, athletes and MMA fighters without boxing skills) who don't understand that he would spark them in a boxing match. Or perhaps they're just posturing.

Jake Paul is about the same level as Tommy Fury (who's another tomato can crusher). There are some things he does better than Fury and some things Fury does better.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Part of his contract actually does not allow him to engage In any other sport that can jeopardize his health.

In other words, play sports that can get him into an injury.

He can get seriously hurt if he does boxing.

I’ve learned of this clause when luc bourdon got killed.

a player can’t even play in a beer league if they wanted too. They can train, train with other nhl players on ice training but can’t engage in another sport.
Is there something in the contract that disallows losing like $40M USD through gambling as well? Because if there is I’m pretty sure he broke that clause as well, thusly he may not read the fine print

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
He understands distance and has some distance control. He has feints in his arsenal and some angles. He has a jab, a check hook, an overhand right, which he can throw moving forward or backwards. Not to mention that he knows a couple of traps to set up that overhand.

Is going to be a top boxer? Never in 50 years because he started way too late. But for 3 years of training, his understanding of boxing is far beyond the average person with 3 years of training. It's easy to see that he has some world class boxers in his camp.

There a lot of people calling him out (celebs, athletes and MMA fighters without boxing skills) who don't understand that he would spark them in a boxing match. Or perhaps they're just posturing.

Jake Paul is about the same level as Tommy Fury (who's another tomato can crusher). There are some things he does better than Fury and some things Fury does better.
This is giving him a lot of credit. Anyone can throw both hands like he does in a manner of weeks with the resources he has at his disposal. He’s strong but not technical at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad