Down Bad: Evander Kane Begging Jake Paul to fight him

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
No, his fundamentals are not there. His footwork is still incredibly sloppy and very much like someone who is still very new to the ring. Paul's training and fighting is pedestrian level. Don't get it twisted. He's still very green.
Define footwork not being there. He knows how to walk and uses his movement to try to change angles and set up his jab or feint to draw out punches. It's not Ali but it's fine. I could buy in his first fight when he was in a super wide stance dragging his feet around that he was rough but he's just kind of normal now.

Fighting is one of the largest gaps between Pro and Joe that exists, everyone's buddy who is 'a good fighter' has probably had less than 10 reps in his entire life and they've probably been against untrained opponents. Imagine if your buddy who is 'pretty good at hockey' had only played 10 games of shinny in someone's back yard. That's the kind of gap we're talking about. If Jake can get to the equivalent level of a beer leaguer that's enough to be a reasonable boxer and to kill the average human in the ring.

Hockey fighting, on the other hand, has one transferrable skill to real fighting: knowing how you react to a punch in the face. That's it. Otherwise it's gi grappling and teaches you wrong habits. Evander would get pasted to the far wall.

Reactions: DangledUpinBlues

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Jake Paul is the draw. Ben Askren is hardly a draw and they still did over 1 million ppv buys. I do agree tho there’s probably others people would prefer to watch then a broke and desperate Kane.

Also even though I dislike the Paul brothers, Jake probably beats Kane in a boxing match easily.
Askren wasn't the draw, but "former UFC fighter" was the draw in that scenario. Nate Robinson's draw was that he was a step up to a pro athlete. Askren was a step up to a pro fighter (albeit washed). Another pro athlete doesn't really bring anything, especially one from a sport that has very little general population audience outside one country.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Kane would beat the piss out of this clown. Askren was a hugger, not a boxer.
Askren may be a wrestler first, but he was in there with real killers and both took their shots and traded with them. The guy's 19 wins include 5 knockouts by way of punches against pro fighters. If you think Evander is a more dangerous striker than a pro MMA fighter of any type you're nuts. Askren's corpse on sheer instinct will punch, feint and take a punch better than Kane at his best, and he understands positioning which I promise Kane does not.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
rBZUawj.png
Hey where did the fat stack go!?!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
Okay yeah I didn’t want to jump to that, but it definitely sounded racist to me too. Also Kane has one kid with his wife so this guys a moron.
I'm not seeing the bad posts, so I already have them on my ignore list. Probably for being racist or a shitty human being.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Askren wasn't the draw, but "former UFC fighter" was the draw in that scenario. Nate Robinson's draw was that he was a step up to a pro athlete. Askren was a step up to a pro fighter (albeit washed). Another pro athlete doesn't really bring anything, especially one from a sport that has very little general population audience outside one country.
Paul could finally say he beat someone with some boxing background.

But he won’t fight anyone unless it’s on his terms.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Askren may be a wrestler first, but he was in there with real killers and both took their shots and traded with them. The guy's 19 wins include 5 knockouts by way of punches against pro fighters. If you think Evander is a more dangerous striker than a pro MMA fighter of any type you're nuts.
I know Evander wouldn’t go face first into a punch with his hands down, like Ben did. His dad taught him better than that.

Evander Kane has more boxing experience than you might know - Article - BARDOWN

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Define footwork not being there. He knows how to walk and uses his movement to try to change angles and set up his jab or feint to draw out punches. It's not Ali but it's fine. I could buy in his first fight when he was in a super wide stance dragging his feet around that he was rough but he's just kind of normal now.

Fighting is one of the largest gaps between Pro and Joe that exists, everyone's buddy who is 'a good fighter' has probably had less than 10 reps in his entire life and they've probably been against untrained opponents. Imagine if your buddy who is 'pretty good at hockey' had only played 10 games of shinny in someone's back yard. That's the kind of gap we're talking about. If Jake can get to the equivalent level of a beer leaguer that's enough to be a reasonable boxer and to kill the average human in the ring.

Hockey fighting, on the other hand, has one transferrable skill to real fighting: knowing how you react to a punch in the face. That's it. Otherwise it's gi grappling and teaches you wrong habits. Evander would get pasted to the far wall.

Again, I think you're very much lowering the bar for what is fine because the guy has fame. Paul's actual technique and skill level is very low. I can't tell you where Kane is at as he's shown nothing. We've heard him have boxing training but that's it. Can't say much of anything until you see some action now if he ever gets that opportunity. However, it would be foolish to think that Evander Kane is an average human being. Kane is an exceptional athlete in his prime unlike Robinson and bigger than Paul. It's possible that the wrong habit of fighting as a hockey player could creep in but I have my doubts given the differences involved. If Kane is allowed to focus on the training, which would only happen if the team voided his contract for even doing any of this in the first place, he could learn pretty quickly.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
EK is irrelevant to absolutely any and everyone outside of hockey. Paul won’t even bother wasting his time acknowledging him. I’d be surprised if he did.

DontLaughAtThat

Apr 12, 2017
I remember watching a barstool sports video where he gave a dumb blonde a tour of his place in Vegas. He was trying to convince her to get into gambling and even she said it's irresponsible, lol.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
EK is irrelevant to absolutely any and everyone outside of hockey. Paul won’t even bother wasting his time acknowledging him. I’d be surprised if he did.
I love this mindset. Yeah, the YT moron who sits around smelling his own farts is more relevant than a pro athlete. People with your mindset give value to the worthless.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
I know Evander wouldn’t go face first into a punch with his hands down, like Ben did. His dad taught him better than that.

Evander Kane has more boxing experience than you might know - Article - BARDOWN
Watch the knock down again. In particular watch the previous trade and the setup. Paul blocks Askren's vision by leaving his lead hand in his sightline and loads up the cross. The previous exchange he threw a long hooking/looping kind of right from that position (minus the hanging lead hand). Askren tries to slip assuming another long hook and got tapped by one he didn't see coming, those are the ones that get you. The stoppage was a joke, it looked like a flash knockdown to me, but it really was just a sneaky right that caught a guy. It happens to the best of 'em.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
I love this mindset. Yeah, the YT moron who sits around smelling his own farts is more relevant than a pro athlete. People with your mindset give value to the worthless.

hey I think those two brothers are waists of skin and I hope they both have humiliating endings but the truth is they are WAY WAY more known the Evander Kane.

Reactions: Another AZ

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Watch the knock down again. In particular watch the previous trade and the setup. Paul blocks Askren's vision by leaving his lead hand in his sightline and loads up the cross. The previous exchange he threw a long hooking/looping kind of right from that position (minus the hanging lead hand). Askren tries to slip assuming another long hook and got tapped by one he didn't see coming, those are the ones that get you. The stoppage was a joke, it looked like a flash knockdown to me, but it really was just a sneaky right that caught a guy. It happens to the best of 'em.
I’ll look at it again simply because of the depth of your description.

Reactions: Another AZ

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Askren may be a wrestler first, but he was in there with real killers and both took their shots and traded with them. The guy's 19 wins include 5 knockouts by way of punches against pro fighters. If you think Evander is a more dangerous striker than a pro MMA fighter of any type you're nuts. Askren's corpse on sheer instinct will punch, feint and take a punch better than Kane at his best, and he understands positioning which I promise Kane does not.

Being a dangerous striker in MMA and being a dangerous striker in boxing is very different. I also don't understand how you can promise Kane doesn't understand positioning. What is that based on?

Reactions: WillyNy

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
hey I think those two brothers are waists of skin and I hope they both have humiliating endings but the truth is they are WAY WAY more known the Evander Kane.
Which would mean something if it were a YT off, or shit talk off or whatever “skills” the Paul’s have that made them relevant.

But the Paul’s want to act like pro athletes and shit talk pro athletes at the same time? Can’t hide behind some bullshit shield of relevance. Jake needs to step up or shut up. People would pay to see it just because a Paul is involved and many, many people are waiting on an Evander to lay them out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Of course he does. Just because he's not a championship level fighter doesn't mean he's not a solid boxer at this point. His fundamentals are there and he has size, power and so far has survived his few chin checks. If Evander thinks having been in a couple street fights or a couple hockey fights can compare to years of training and fighting, he would get reality checked quickly.
"Years of training" Jake Paul has not trained anything compared to real boxers - maybe a couple hours a day in fight camps for a couple months leading up to each of his fights. Professional boxers train every day of the year, multiple sparring session a day. Their life, not even their job, their life is boxing. For Jake it's just a side gig. He's not a fighter. That said, he would probably beat up Kane today. Different story if Evander can put a year aside and train like a full time boxer. We all know that's not happening though.

Also, even if Jake has the fundamentals it doesn't mean too much - so do plenty of 10 year olds. It's about whether he can bring those skills in a truly adverse environment. Neither Ben Askren nor Nate Robinson is that. To be fair to Jake though, almost all professional boxers' first few fights are against trashcans, so who knows, maybe if he puts in the work and all goes right he could one day be up there with the best

Reactions: BattleLevel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad