Down Bad: Evander Kane Begging Jake Paul to fight him

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
NHL should get on board the Paul brothers train and get setup McDavid to fight one of them...imagine the marketing hype and exposure for the NHL. :)

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I don't think Jake Paul will fight Kane with the Pauls being involved with a much bigger fish in Mayweather.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I’ll also beg Jake Paul to box me. I have almost zero boxing training and would be a guaranteed win. I’ll even do it for less the Askren.

Reactions: Rob

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Jake Paul doesn't want to fight anyone that will actually throw serious punches, his whole goal is to get to some sort of celebrity boxing cycle with guys like Floyd or Mcgregor where he will rake PPV money for doing nothing
No matter how poor Ben Askren is at striking/stand-up, there's no way he's inferior to Kane. Even though Evander likes to fancy himself some kind of boxer, he's still a hockey player by trade. And hockey players are pretty laughable fighters off skates. Now, I think the results of the Paul vs. Askren fight were very fishy but I don't think they would need to pull any fast stuff if Paul fought Kane, since Paul is still a half-decent boxer and Kane is a hockey player.

I'd actually put money on Paul, myself. The guy who I would have liked to have seen in the ring with Paul would have been Rick Rypien (RIP). As someone who grew up boxing, he's one of the few NHLers I've watched who seemed to know how to really throw down.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Put a camera in front of Kane for a couple months lead up and I'm sure there would be gems for promotion.

I'd watch it, hoping for the rare double KO

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think if Evander Kane wants to go into boxing he should challenge a retired boxer to prove he has it in him to others, I dislike Kane but believe he'd succeed at boxing.

But the bigger question is if his creditors within hockey would let him?

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Evander Kane is a nobody to the Paul brothers. Can't believe I had to type that out. Evander better watch out because Jake Paul is ruthless and would absolutely just destroy him on social media.

And knock him out in the ring. Jake Paul has legit boxing skills. It would be embarrassing for Kane.

Wait Floyd gave Paul a black eye? When did this happen?
42671872-0-image-a-70_1620339904469.jpg

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
I'm pretty sure his SPC has a clause in it preventing him from partaking in activities that could result in injuries.

I highly doubt he'd be allowed to fight while under contract.

Correct:

7. The Player and the Club recognize and agree that the Player's participation in other sports
may impair or destroy his ability and skill as a hockey Player. Accordingly the Player agrees that
he will not during the period of this SPC or during any period when he is obligated under this
SPC to enter into a further SPC with the Club engage or participate in football, baseball, softball,
hockey, lacrosse, boxing, wrestling or other athletic sport without the written consent of the
Club, which consent will not be unreasonably withheld.

AyyLmao

May 12, 2021
Edmonton
As we all know, Evander Kane is in a massive amount of debt. So the man has now resorted to going on Twitter to beg Jake Paul to fight him.

Is this fight going to happen? Would you watch it? Would the NHL allow him to do it while he's under contract? Do you even care?

So jake Paul is going to go from Mayweather to box this guy?

I wish he wasn’t a thing though.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
1) His contract wouldn't allow it
2) Jake is at this point a pretty decent fighter who just wrecked an experienced professional fighter, he might actually kill Kane by accident
3) Kane is nowhere near enough of a draw
4) This is sad and desperate

I think that about sums it up.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
We're seriously lowering the bar to say that Jake Paul has legitimate boxing skills. He doesn't.
Of course he does. Just because he's not a championship level fighter doesn't mean he's not a solid boxer at this point. His fundamentals are there and he has size, power and so far has survived his few chin checks. If Evander thinks having been in a couple street fights or a couple hockey fights can compare to years of training and fighting, he would get reality checked quickly.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Of course he does. Just because he's not a championship level fighter doesn't mean he's not a solid boxer at this point. His fundamentals are there and he has size, power and so far has survived his few chin checks. If Evander thinks having been in a couple street fights or a couple hockey fights can compare to years of training and fighting, he would get reality checked quickly.

No, his fundamentals are not there. His footwork is still incredibly sloppy and very much like someone who is still very new to the ring. Paul's training and fighting is pedestrian level. Don't get it twisted. He's still very green.

AdvancedPressure

Jan 19, 2021
This might be a bit of a hot take here, but I feel like Paul vs Kane would go similarly to Paul vs Robinson. That is to say, Kane probably gets KO'd. I find Jake Paul as irritating as the next guy, but he does have decent boxing fundamentals (not pro level, but decent) and a fair amount of training under his belt. If Evander has never seriously trained in boxing and thinks he can go in there and dust this guy on his hockey fighting ability alone it will go badly.

Reactions: Another AZ

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Would Kane even be a good enough draw to generate decent cash for the fight?

Jake Paul is the draw. Ben Askren is hardly a draw and they still did over 1 million ppv buys. I do agree tho there’s probably others people would prefer to watch then a broke and desperate Kane.

Also even though I dislike the Paul brothers, Jake probably beats Kane in a boxing match easily.

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
No, his fundamentals are not there. His footwork is still incredibly sloppy and very much like someone who is still very new to the ring. Paul's training and fighting is pedestrian level. Don't get it twisted. He's still very green.
Most guys we watch box are very elite though so we are used to seeing guys who look slick out there. I can tell you for a guy who's had 3 fights he looks better than most do at that level. We've also seen much better hockey fighters than Kane look pretty bad at boxing and mma.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Kane should quit drawing attention to himself.

Askren is arguably a bigger draw than Evander (if fact he almost certainly is), and walked away with a reported 500k for that fight. Let's say he got some undisclosed money and walked away with a million. Kane can't expect to make more than that. In the context of how much he owes and how much he makes from hockey to pay that off, that million is kinda small potatoes.

Meanwhile, if he hypothetically got the fight, he just opened himself up to months of ridicule for being broke from two guys who are pretty ruthless and have an audience of millions and millions of young Gen Z'ers who will bully Kane online about being broke forever.

Add to that the possbility of getting KO'd and I feel like Kane would become a giant laughing stock and it could affect his mental health if we are being real about it.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Most guys we watch box are very elite though so we are used to seeing guys who look slick out there. I can tell you for a guy who's had 3 fights he looks better than most do at that level. We've also seen much better hockey fighters than Kane look pretty bad at boxing and mma.

And I'm saying for a guy who has supposedly trained for roughly two years, his fundamentals are shit. I'm not saying anything about Kane's abilities because he's shown nothing to that end. But this idea that Jake Paul is some legit boxer in terms of quality is a farce.

Reactions: Saitama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad