News Article: Dorion says all players but ek and stone available

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We're definitely a fan based that has pined for years for a GM that makes bold moves, but the reality is we're an old man fanbase, lots of tough bluster, but when we finally get a young guy who's got the balls to at least make bold moves to craft the team he wants, everyone freaks out and we all realize that we don't actually like change, and can't handle it at all when it happens to us. :)

Maybe we'll actually get rid oaf a few of the guys so many of you want gone. I have to say that I'm really liking Chlapik and Chabot. Maybe a team with a bunch of youngsters next year is the plan now.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
We're definitely a fan based that has pined for years for a GM that makes bold moves, but the reality is we're an old man fanbase, lots of tough bluster, but when we finally get a young guy who's got the balls to at least make bold moves to craft the team he wants, everyone freaks out and we all realize that we don't actually like change, and can't handle it at all when it happens to us. :)

Maybe we'll actually get rid oaf a few of the guys so many of you want gone. I have to say that I'm really liking Chlapik and Chabot. Maybe a team with a bunch of youngsters next year is the plan now.

Unfortunately a lot of our big moves haven’t worked out.

Ryan, Phaneuf, Bondra, Duchene (so far). Heatley worked of course until he didn’t want to be here anymore, but we’ve swung for the fences a few times and things haven’t worked out the way we’ve wanted.

Our big trades don’t usually work out. We’ve also sold low on Havlat and Spezza. Maybe the big blockbuster trades just aren’t our thing.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Unfortunately a lot of our big moves haven’t worked out.

Ryan, Phaneuf, Bondra, Duchene (so far). Heatley worked of course until he didn’t want to be here anymore, but we’ve swung for the fences a few times and things haven’t worked out the way we’ve wanted.

Our big trades don’t usually work out. We’ve also sold low on Havlat and Spezza. Maybe the big blockbuster trades just aren’t our thing.

So true, and ugh, Bondra! Maybe it's a practice makes perfect kinda thing :)

P9 has been as advertised no? Personally I like the Duchene deal, so I'm willing to give PD some slack. Rookie GM making big moves is a good thing. I think we have good assets on paper and that they'll find a way to gel :)

Reactions: Neiler

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
So true, and ugh, Bondra! Maybe it's a practice makes perfect kinda thing :)

P9 has been as advertised no? Personally I like the Duchene deal, so I'm willing to give PD some slack. Rookie GM making big moves is a good thing. I think we have good assets on paper and that they'll find a way to gel :)

Phaneuf probably isn’t the same as the other guys I’ve mentioned because everyone knew his best days were behind him. He was a big name though, which is why in included him.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Phaneuf probably isn’t the same as the other guys I’ve mentioned because everyone knew his best days were behind him. He was a big name though, which is why in included him.

Fair enough. We do always have to remember when referring to him that we were able to unload several contracts on the leafs as well. That was definitely part of the deal in getting him, but a part that is easily overlooked a few years after the fact.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Yeah. The time to make a call on Karlsson is the offseason. You do the full court press to get him under contract, and if it becomes clear that he's not interested in staying, you make the tough call and trade him.

Do you mean exactly like Dorion did with Turris?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If there's any time for us to get out of the Phaneuf contract, it's this off season because the cap is rumoured to be going up to 80 million, and Phaneuf will only have 3 years left. 3 years is still a lot, but it's a lot less daunting than the 5 years he had when TOR tried to move him.

I'm not exactly confident we'd be able to find a situation where we could move him without being forced to take back enough dead cap to make it pointless, but if it's ever gonna happen, an 80+ million dollar cap makes it a lot more likely.

Also his Cap hit remains (for three more season) at $7 M, but actual money paid starts to decline after this season.

BUT, there is still the NMC, and he would have to agree to waive it.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Next time we should ask for bold and smart moves.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Ugh just don't do anything stupid (like trading anyone important...including Hoffman), get a top pick that can make the roster next year, and we're back in the mix for the playoffs next year.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Duchene is amazing. He is going to be great for the team. Folks need to be patient on that trade. The guy had his whole life upended and then went on a month long road trip. Once he’s settled, he will be better. Every game I watch lately, Duchene stands out. He is a better player than Turris.

Reactions: RICKY SPANISH

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Duchene is amazing. He is going to be great for the team. Folks need to be patient on that trade. The guy had his whole life upended and then went on a month long road trip. Once he’s settled, he will be better. Every game I watch lately, Duchene stands out. He is a better player than Turris.

I think the fanbase is done waiting for things to pan out. If Duchene says he only wanted to move to be a part of playoff hockey, where’s his contribution to this? Turris’s life was maybe even more upended because he wasn’t waiting to be traded, and he’s settled in just fine.

No more smoke and mirrors, Duchene is a good player, he’s not an elite player. If he was, he’s be elite, because that’s what elite players do, no matter if they are on the road or at home

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I think the fanbase is done waiting for things to pan out. If Duchene says he only wanted to move to be a part of playoff hockey, where’s his contribution to this? Turris’s life was maybe even more upended because he wasn’t waiting to be traded, and he’s settled in just fine.

No more smoke and mirrors, Duchene is a good player, he’s not an elite player. If he was, he’s be elite, because that’s what elite players do, no matter if they are on the road or at home
lol there’s also a thing called slumps which happen to every player. Turris has been slumping as well lately.

Duchene will show his true worth starting now and next year. He’s a great player.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
lol there’s also a thing called slumps which happen to every player. Turris has been slumping as well lately.

Duchene will show his true worth starting now and next year. He’s a great player.

He’s a good player, I don’t thunk he’s clearly better then Turris. I also don’t think he’s elite like GB says.

Aurilius

Nov 12, 2015
Hostage in Canada's Basement
I think he already is. One play last night I was really frustrated with Hoff on, Duchene took the puck behind their net and held it off a defender waiting for support and Hoff just stood still in the slot, never got open. Duchy finally gave up on him and beat the man to try and tuck it in from behind the net. Hoff didn't move until it was to late to get to the rebound.

Chemistry takes time to develop, and Duchene is a very different player from Turris. Once the rest of the top 6 catches on to his tendencies and adjusts, the points will start flowing. He creates chances they aren't looking for yet. Ryan and him seem to be clicking the best so far, Hoff definitely isn't. Perimeter players aren't going to work well with him. Driving the net is.

Reactions: slamigo

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He should really have kept his mouth shut. That's the problem here. He's just making this harder on the players right now.

I'll call BS on this.

Geezus this plays out every year. Buyers. Sellers.

Do you think the players don't realize given the situation that the team will dump bodies / contracts?

Dorion coming out and saying so doesn't make an iota's worth of difference

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
As we clearly can't afford a full rebuild. Wiping out some of the core, signing a decent UFA or two and then bringing in a ton of youth next season could be the best move.

Out: Ceci, Wideman, Burrows, Hoffman, Oduya, Smith

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
As we clearly can't afford a full rebuild. Wiping out some of the core, signing a decent UFA or two and then bringing in a ton of youth next season could be the best move.

Out: Ceci, Wideman, Burrows, Hoffman, Oduya, Smith
There's no room for UFAs. We need to clear space just to keep our own players.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Look at Boston doing so well with so many youngsters in the lineup.

That could be us with a better mentality behind the bench.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Look at Boston doing so well with so many youngsters in the lineup.

That could be us with a better mentality behind the bench.

Chabot is nowhere near McAvoy defensively, playing with Chara is also a big plus.

I am not so sure about Chabot being utterly mis-handled honestly. I certainly thinks he should play more but be isn't very good defensively and that matters when your team is expected to compete and ends up bottom 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad