News Article: Dorion says all players but ek and stone available

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Have you ever heard an approaching UFA, like Turris, say he did not want to stay?

iu

So, you automatically believe everything Dorion ever says publicly....but when Turris says something it's a lie?

rofl, talk about an agenda.

You have an amazing alternate reality going on in that brain of yours, and heaven forbid if anyone tries to talk sense to you.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
too long ago to remember the fine points. I just remember the holdout.

here's a thought....a lot of guys on the board here think Dorion gives up too much

want an extra 1 mil on your AAV? ..no problem, I'll just get my eraser out and change

oh, you want me to add a draft pick to make a trade? how about I add two.

you get the idea

why do so many guys here believe that Dorion gives away the farm in negotiations/trades, but when it comes to a player that has a lengthy holdout track record, the lack of a deal is Dorion's fault.

If PD was what the gang here thinks....wouldn't Turris be signed to 7 or 8 years at above market? I mean that's the perception of him?

I don't have any more info than anyone else but reading the tea leaves and connecting the dots the Turris situation keeps coming up the same way to me which is the team sat on 5 tops and Turris sat on 7 bottom. Neither side bent. Turris is a predator

That's pretty much it. The issue most seem to have is that 6 seems like a fair deal, and everyone is upset neither party was willing to offer it. Some blame Turris, others blame Dorion.

I just have a hard time blaming a player when he's not the one who decides the negotiations are at an impasse and makes the trade. I'd get people being upset if Turris turned down a 6 year deal, but that apparently never happened.

To me, it seems pretty clear that Dorion decided trading for Duchene was preferable to signing Turris for 6 years. If it wasn't, he'd have offered that deal. That's where my issue is. You (not you specifically, but in a general sense) can't say 6 years was never an option if you didn't offer it (unless there are other reasons why you couldn't offer it), so spinning this as Turris orchestrating a trade by playing hard ball is a dubious claim imo.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I remember hearing they wanted our 2018 first rounder. Good thing we didn’t do that. I have no idea why they’d ask for more from us than from Dallas. Maybe McPhee overvalued Methots worth from other teams. He asked Dorion for a first not to take Methot and then when Dorion said no, McPhee grabbed Methot and started shopping him only to find people weren’t willing to meet his price.

Only problem with that theory is that Mcphee was probably seeing what he could get for Methot before the expansion draft. He probably understood the market. A 2nd in 2020 and a goalie who was just picked in the late rounds? Weird trade.

Maybe McPhee is just a dickbag and was trying to stick it to Dorion.

OR, perhaps he read all the media reports, in Ottawa and how Dorion tried hard to protect Methot, by asking Dion to waive his NMC, to allow Dorion to protect Karlsson, Ceci and Methot....... in that order.

I don't know about you, but I kinda got the feeling that Dorion really wanted to keep Methot as Karlsson's partner, but not at the expenses of a much younger Ceci, who is going to become a RFA......... so I suspect McPhee also came to that conclusion, and figured Dorion would give him something to pick another player (instead of Methot) or would get something more from Dorion after Methot was selected, and tried to get him back.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
So, you automatically believe everything Dorion ever says publicly....but when Turris says something it's a lie?

rofl, talk about an agenda.

You have an amazing alternate reality going on in that brain of yours, and heaven forbid if anyone tries to talk sense to you.

So, you automatically believe everything Turris ever said publicly....but when Dorion says something it's a lie?

talk about an agenda

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
OR, perhaps he read all the media reports, in Ottawa and how Dorion tried hard to protect Methot, by asking Dion to waive his NMC, to allow Dorion to protect Karlsson, Ceci and Methot....... in that order.

I don't know about you, but I kinda got the feeling that Dorion really wanted to keep Methot as Karlsson's partner, but not at the expenses of a much younger Ceci, who is going to become a RFA......... so I suspect McPhee also came to that conclusion, and figured Dorion would give him something to pick another player (instead of Methot) or would get something more from Dorion after Methot was selected, and tried to get him back.

Link?

If Dorion wanted to keep Methot he would of kept him, like he traded for Duch, Burrows, Brass - he's not afraid to overpay for players he wants.

Your theories here on multiple GMs had space and reasoning for not maximizing returns don't make sense. Vegas would of come back to Dorion and said 'we have a 2nd for Methot can you do better (ie a 2nd and a5th round pick) to which Dorion would of said 'no'

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I understand your point

what I think happened is on Friday Nashville said no to 7 years. By Sunday Turris and his agent thought better of it that we should take the 6/36 and run.

I don't personally think it says anything about ottawa.

I actually think it says more about Turris. he has a documented history of difficult contract negotiations and thought he could hold out for 7 or 8 and didn' get it.

it's too bad. I liked him. BUT I think that's the way it went down

is there some belief anywhere that Turris wouldnt get at least 6x6 as a UFA at the end of this year?
why on earth would Turris have to take the deal and run?
he could have just played out his contract.
The way you describe it he must have agreed to a deal with nashville to do Ottawa a favour, what a good guy.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
is there some belief anywhere that Turris wouldnt get at least 6x6 as a UFA at the end of this year?
The way you describe it he must have agreed to a deal with nashville to do Ottawa a favour, what a good guy.
I think it was Friedman? who said Turris didn't want to have a bad rep when it comes to contract negotiations. This was before he was traded and negotiating with ottawa

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Link?

If Dorion wanted to keep Methot he would of kept him, like he traded for Duch, Burrows, Brass - he's not afraid to overpay for players he wants.

Your theories here on multiple GMs had space and reasoning for not maximizing returns don't make sense. Vegas would of come back to Dorion and said 'we have a 2nd for Methot can you do better (ie a 2nd and a5th round pick) to which Dorion would of said 'no'

Dorion wanted to keep Methot, but not more than he wanted the Younger Ceci ....... so that's why he asked Dion to Waive his MNC, and expose him, and protect Methot.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

there probably was no belief at all that he wouldn't get 6.

we know he wasn't getting 7 here. I think the Friday to sunday hiccup was the realization he wasn't getting it there either.

I don't think he played hard ball to orchestrate a trade. I think he played hardball to orchestrate a 7 year deal. I suspect he was kind of shocked it didn't work. I also think his agent helped with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->