News Article: Dorion says all players but ek and stone available

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Again, he’s on record saying he will not sell the team, but that doesn’t fit your self-serving narrative, so you conveniently ignore it.
His next step is to shed player salary (like he said) and when he’s dealing with sub-10000 attendance through Jan/Feb with no chance of playoff revenue, he will consider his other stated “next option”.
I’m not saying he will be successful, but he has a well established record of doing what he says and taking legal action if he’s blocked from doing so.
He has sued his former partners and companies but his lawsuits are usually tossed.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Well this is gonna suck. If we move Hoff or Brass or others let's at least get some picks back or some nice prospects.
If he trades Chabot it's gonna be really hard to keep going to games knowing an incredible D prospect has been shifted to another team. Bleh.

I don’t want to see anymore Spezza or Havlat type trades where we get a roster player, 2 prospects and a 2nd round pick. I don’t care about quantity, I care about quality. If we trade Hoffman, I want one of a top 4 D, a top 6 forward or a first round pick. If you don’t get a good offer, don’t trade him.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
As much fun as may be to pile on Melnyk, there are other threads for that, this one is about Dorion and the players he says are and aren't available. Leave the Melnyk/relocation talk elsewhere.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
So you believe the NHL will be able to expand past 32, as Modell left the team name to be resumed playing in 3 years? Part of that bargain was that Cleveland would recieve an expansion team in 3 years.

Look, I get that it "has" happened before, but there is no chance of it happening in the NHL right now. None, especially with Seattle soon hopping board.
You may be right but I’m not referring to what WILL happen, only what the owner will attempt to do when faced with financial ruin and is unwilling to relinquish his position as owner of an NHL team.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Man I would so dangle EK. He will never again play at the level he has in the past but he will get paid like max money.

Reactions: johnnyutah

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
How is this Dorian's fault when Karlsson is playing on 1 foot and Anderson has been abysmal to say the least.

Well, the roster is a mess and at least some of that is his doing:

- giving up Dahlen for Burrows
- extending Burrows for 2 years @ 2.5M
- extending Anderson for 2 years @ 4.75 a full season before he had to commit to that
- giving up a bunch of assets to move from Turris to Duchene
- extending Condon for 3 years @ 2.4
- moving Zibanejad + a 2nd for Brassard
- relying on Oduya as a top-4 D-man going into the season
- finding a way to lose Methot even though he only cost Dallas a 2020 2nd
- entering the season without a replacement for MacArthur

He's not the only one to blame, but almost everything he's touched has turned to shit.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Man I would so dangle EK. He will never again play at the level he has in the past but he will get paid like max money.
you dont trade a generation talent unless you know he isn't signing

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
you dont trade a generation talent unless you know he isn't signing

Yeah. The time to make a call on Karlsson is the offseason. You do the full court press to get him under contract, and if it becomes clear that he's not interested in staying, you make the tough call and trade him.

Reactions: Cosmix

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Try & trade Burrows, Oduya & Dumont for picks & maybe Pageau for one good young player before the deadline. Then make decisions on a number of other players after the season.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You may be right but I’m not referring to what WILL happen, only what the owner will attempt to do when faced with financial ruin and is unwilling to relinquish his position as owner of an NHL team.

Financial ruin is playing in a building in another city that Melynk does NOT own.

First player we need to move, is Phaneuf. Move him and a B-prospect (Gagne? Ahl?) for a late pick.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Financial ruin is playing in a building in another city that Melynk does NOT own.

First player we need to move, is Phaneuf. Move him and a B-prospect (Gagne? Ahl?) for a late pick.

If there's any time for us to get out of the Phaneuf contract, it's this off season because the cap is rumoured to be going up to 80 million, and Phaneuf will only have 3 years left. 3 years is still a lot, but it's a lot less daunting than the 5 years he had when TOR tried to move him.

I'm not exactly confident we'd be able to find a situation where we could move him without being forced to take back enough dead cap to make it pointless, but if it's ever gonna happen, an 80+ million dollar cap makes it a lot more likely.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If there's any time for us to get out of the Phaneuf contract, it's this off season because the cap is rumoured to be going up to 80 million, and Phaneuf will only have 3 years left. 3 years is still a lot, but it's a lot less daunting than the 5 years he had when TOR tried to move him.

I'm not exactly confident we'd be able to find a situation where we could move him without being forced to take back enough dead cap to make it pointless, but if it's ever gonna happen, an 80+ million dollar cap makes it a lot more likely.

I'm sure it can be done. Teams have been able to move worse contracts. Hell, Arizona could probably use some dead weight to hit the floor again if the cap goes up.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'm sure it can be done. Teams have been able to move worse contracts. Hell, Arizona could probably use some dead weight to hit the floor again if the cap goes up.

I don't think the difference between his salary and cap hit is great enough to make a team like ARZ want him. But I think we might have some luck moving MacArthur's contract to the Coyotes if the cap floor gets high enough. Paying 950k or whatever it is for 4.65M of cap space would be very beneficial to them if they aren't at the cap floor.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

$

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Trade Smith and Burrows to start with. Maybe hypnotize GMs into taking Phaneuf and Ryan...

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Trade Smith and Burrows to start with. Maybe hypnotize GMs into taking Phaneuf and Ryan...
IM we need to retain on those guys (P&R) ... and we should .. It will free up $... Agree on Smith and Burrows ... Smith s/b no problem ... Burrows imo he is a lost cause... minuscule value

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad