Proposal: Don't Rent....Buy the final core piece.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Just knowing what i know as to inner workings with our team and GM's around the league in general (Nothing) i would do this.

Move out players for picks. Martin,polak,bozak,Moore, ( Leivo if thats what he wants only) etc.

Then start promoting from the Marlies. We are on the rise as a team but plenty of depth positions will need to be replaced by the draft.

None of the players i listed that i believe should or could be moved(Leivo) will get us a defenseman of quality.

We develop all these prospects to give them their try. We sit in a 50 contract limit crunch and therefore I believe clearing space for prospects promotion and evaluation at the Nhl level would be my acceptable ecpectation from management at this deadline.

Why start rushing the build now without evaluating what we have with the Marlies first.

Thats my two cents on my limited knowledge.
Here's what Babcock said:
The standings don't affect our plan.
Our plan is to build a product you can be proud of, a product that can knock on the door every year, so when you arrive at training camp you know you're in the playoffs.
We are not at that stage yet, that's the focus of our plan. Do we want to win today? 100%. But every GM makes trades in line with their plan.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
OEL is a very interesting topic.

How do you weigh playing on such a terrible team and playing in that enviroment your entire career?

He also lost his mother a few years ago and that can be tough.

I think if he played in a better market, better winning enviroment and with better players this guys name would brought up much more often with the other leagues best.

OEL is indeed an interesting topic.

He’s also an UFA at the same time that Matthews and Marner are due to be re-signed. Marleau’s $6 would still be on the books too.

Can the Leafs afford to pay him if he demands a ridiculous amount and are the assets spend on him, worth only the 1+ years if he doesn’t re-sign?

I would love the see him on this team but it could be very risky.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
OEL is indeed an interesting topic.

He’s also an UFA at the same time that Matthews and Marner are due to be re-signed. Marleau’s $6 would still be on the books too.

Can the Leafs afford to pay him if he demands a ridiculous amount and are the assets spend on him, worth only the 1+ years if he doesn’t re-sign?

I would love the see him on this team but it could be very risky.
Probably about 10 mil

Reactions: PickleRick

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Wow if we land JT for free, we could totally trade out Matthews to Arizona for a Kings Ransom. Like prospects 4x 1sts, you name it! That would be so awesome! Be winning cups left and right then!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
how many years away is that?

because we're already in 6th place in the league.

raw

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

I think there are two windows for this group. The one we're in right now - the cheap contract window. There will be another one when the big 3 reach their peak performance. I think I'd rather keep building assets till the big 3 fully develop, that's the best shot.

If you want to acquire a player, sure, but emptying the cupboards this soon is a bad idea.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think there are two windows for this group. The one we're in right now - the cheap contract window. There will be another one when the big 3 reach their peak performance. I think I'd rather keep building assets till the big 3 fully develop, that's the best shot.

If you want to acquire a player, sure, but emptying the cupboards this soon is a bad idea.

2nd window gets stunted some if you don't trade some UFA and convert that into a top asset with term. So much rides on that, actually if we stock up well the 2nd wave will be even more potent most likely.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

so...how many years before we're allowed to make an impact trade?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
...the real answer is "never", isn't it?

we should never trade any good young assets for a good veteran....no matter how many years go by, right?

I mean, if we're being honest.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
...the real answer is "never", isn't it?

we should never trade any good young assets for a good veteran....no matter how many years go by, right?

I mean, if we're being honest.

When I look at this team and if asked what 1 roster player would you upgrade if you could only make 1 move... I would tell them... Bozak, the guy needs to go in order to activate the potential of that f***ing line and it's pissing me off watching him do absolutely nothing positive yet looking busy. How can anyone not see that he is a proverbial hamster on a wheel.

Let Nylander take the line or just trade him and pay out to upgrade the C position long term. I would do that trade NOW and get Nylander on C for the next 2 weeks to see how he does and Kappy on L1 with Matthews.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Adam Larsson anybody? He's a RHD who is a rock in his own end and would be a great addition for the leafs imo.

Marner or Nylander would be a dream but Kappanen ++ is probably more likely.

Give me some offers!

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Would you guys do:

Andreas Johnsson
Timothy Liljegren
Connor Carrick
2018 1st round pick
2019 1st round pick

for

Erik Karlsson (UFA July 2019, though he would possibly re-sign)

? Ottawa should just be looking towards rebuilding now, and we’d have to pay a lot to get Karlsson. He’s that elite RD we desperately need.

No, Karlsson is not what we need. He is a little older than I would want and not known defensive play. Don’t get me wrong he would be better than what we have but if we are throwing around those kind of assets I would rather go after Trouba. Plus we don’t know how that foot injury has really affected him. Also look st how exposed he looks without Methot.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

7th.

To me it's just one big window that's just swinging open now but will be more open in the years to come.

so...how many years before we're allowed to make an impact trade?

1)
It's allowed any time if the right deal comes along.

2)
We should keep in mind that we're in a very strange place now - even if we finish 3rd overall, our reward might be facing the #1 and #2 teams in the first round so even if we make that "impact trade", we still might not get too far.

3)
Keep in mind that making this "impact trade" is by no means mandatory. You may disagree but I think we're so stacked with talent that with Dermott emerging as a player and Liljegren on the way we might not need a major trade to "fix" our D and I don't think anyone's worried about our forwards or goaltending. So just draft, develop and a minor tweak here and there might be all we need. In any case, keep point #2 in mind and stay patient, it should be a fun decade. And you never know, Tavares might come here which should be enough to put us right up there with the best of them.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
No, we are 6th. Tied for 5th with Winnipeg actually but they get GP and ROW tiebreaker.

Looks like you're right, the web site I always look at is one game out of date. I looked at nhl.com, did the math and we are indeed ahead of WSH now. It's by the slimmest of margins as both teams projected point totals would be rounded to 104 but hey, we are ahead.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake. 6th overall and rising baby!

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
No, Karlsson is not what we need. He is a little older than I would want and not known defensive play. Don’t get me wrong he would be better than what we have but if we are throwing around those kind of assets I would rather go after Trouba. Plus we don’t know how that foot injury has really affected him. Also look st how exposed he looks without Methot.
He's 28, that is NOT old. Stop with that guys! I feel like I'm reading that all over this board. Superstars like Karlsson play well long into their 30's, please don't tell me you would rather have some "defensive defenceman" over Karlsson. The game has changed, there are no defensive defencemen anymore...or at least the ones that are left will be done soon, players like Gudbranson, Bogosian, Polak etc. It's all about being quick, steady, and the ability to move the puck. Our weakest position is a right shot, right defenceman and that's exactly what he is.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
This is partly why i believe we should be looking to sell JVR this deadline- We keep looking at this like its our only shot, like everything is gonna drop off next season. We need to get out of the loosing mentality and start looking at the long term goal of winning the cup, not just improving on last seasons playoffs.
This team is not a cup contender. Simple as. We require one or two solid pieces, so if that means a second round defeat this season ill take it.

Package the assets for JVR with prospects to get a solid Dman.

I dont want to see this team become the Caps/Blues/Sharks of this generation- dominant in the regular season for a long period of time but with nothing to show for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad