Proposal: Don't Rent....Buy the final core piece.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
So the Leafs are really good. Borderline contenders type good.

They should be seriously trying to win as soon as this year, and most definitely the next couple of years.

People keep speculating about potentially selling some of our rentals or buying someone else's rentals, but for me, that's really not the market we should be playuing in right now.

The target should be a core piece signed for multiple years. A guy to complete the core and who will be around for a few years at least.

And we should be willing to offer up multiple real young assets to get this piece.

For me, that means a strong top pair defensive minded dman. A legit borderline #1 type who plays against elite lines, but also has some skill. But if you think we need something else that's fine too.

But imo now's not the time to nibble around the edges - we should be looking at a legit core talent that's locked up for a bit. Maybe a McDonagh, maybe a Weber, maybe an Erik Johnson......but something along those lines, imo. and we should be willing to give up liljegrens and first rounders to do it.

That's how we move into legit contender/favorite status, and not just for this year.

Reactions: francis246

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's tough to go and trade for that kind of player though. Adding a core player with term is done in the off-season in the NHL.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I'm not as high on Liljegren as a lot of other people are. If you can package him with a 1st and a roster player, and come away with a guy in the tier of Provorov/Werenski, I'm into it.

Reactions: Dzonna

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
One thing that bugs me is how people say we are “borderline” contenders. We are top 5 in the league right now. Any top 10 is a realistic contender.

We are not favourites right now. But who is? Tampa? The expansion knights? It is a wide open year this year.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

They should be seriously trying to win as soon as this year, and most definitely the next couple of years.

People keep speculating about potentially selling some of our rentals or buying someone else's rentals, but for me, that's really not the market we should be playuing in right now.

The target should be a core piece signed for multiple years. A guy to complete the core and who will be around for a few years at least.

And we should be willing to offer up multiple real young assets to get this piece.

For me, that means a strong top pair defensive minded dman. A legit borderline #1 type who plays against elite lines, but also has some skill. But if you think we need something else that's fine too.

But imo now's not the time to nibble around the edges - we should be looking at a legit core talent that's locked up for a bit. Maybe a McDonagh, maybe a Weber, maybe an Erik Johnson......but something along those lines, imo. and we should be willing to give up liljegrens and first rounders to do it.

That's how we move into legit contender/favorite status, and not just for this year.

Problem is they aren’t signed long term. Can’t give up Lilly and a 1 for a 1.5 year rental. Play with what we have and then if we could do a draft day trade with extension then yes

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not this TD, but rather that core piece added at the entry draft in the summer instead.

A player with term or one that can be re-signed shortly thereafter in a like Oliver Ekman-Larsson for example.

Reactions: rumman

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
One thing that bugs me is how people say we are “borderline” contenders. We are top 5 in the league right now. Any top 10 is a realistic contender.

We are not favourites right now. But who is? Tampa? The expansion knights? It is a wide open year this year.

We're right up there, but I have no problem saying we have a few more question marks than some of the other teams up there. Right now our even strength goals against are still a bit too high compared to the other top teams, and our possession game is a bit low. And our elite players are not as consistently elite as those of the other teams at the top...at least they haven't been yet this year, though that might be changing now.

Reactions: slozo and 666

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Whether they should or shouldn't isn't the question. Last I heard Provorov and Werenski weren't cheap or for sale. Trades are rare but yes we should pluck other teams young stars for dudwood. Too bad we couldn't trade with the old Leafs eh? On Vegas quite the indictment on the NHL an expansion team is th best in the league. Maybe some of the old teams should apply for re expansion and get access to other team's good players?

Last edited:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Is OEL on the market with Arizona's dreadful year? I know he isn't a huge defensive D man, doesn't play the most PK minutes. He is though a great skater, that fits in with the teams theme and strength.
Maybe he fits better under a more structured system like Babcock's?

He's turning 27 in July so he's still got some high quality hockey left in him. The only really big downside is his contract ends in 2019/20, the same year where we need to sign Matthews, Marner, Kap and Gardiner.

Reactions: Dzonna

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'm not as high on Liljegren as a lot of other people are. If you can package him with a 1st and a roster player, and come away with a guy in the tier of Provorov/Werenski, I'm into it.

You mean, you aren't high on a guy who you've barely ever seen play before, who's having a very good year with the Marlies, and is being projected to be a pretty high end player?

Reactions: MattySnipes

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yes you can do this Zeke. You have to accept trading out some UFA first and then using the returns from that in addition to our own picks to finish it off. We need to get guys with term back for UFA and we can compete for a cup 2-3 yrs and then again most likely when prospects come up.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's tough to go and trade for that kind of player though. Adding a core player with term is done in the off-season in the NHL.

It might be, but that's what we should have an eye on starting right now, imo.

If we can do it now, awesome. If we have to wait until the offseason then we wait....but should be actively trying to make that kind of addition, not just sitting around waiting.

Reactions: ULF_55

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
You mean, you aren't high on a guy who you've barely ever seen play before, who's having a very good year with the Marlies, and is being projected to be a pretty high end player?

why do you think ernie hasn't barely seen Lily play?

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Why do people want him.
the man. is. glass. like literally. we've already got one china doll, why do we want to get another one?

Get McDonaugh, and re-sign him July 1st. boom.

Remember when he was injured, finally came back for the game against the Leafs and got another separate injury in, I believe, the first period :laugh:.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Now is not the time to buy big.

It's crazy that this fanbase, who has experienced years of impatience that has led to mediocrity, is choosing not to be patient again.

Don't buy big. Smaller pieces for fringe players? Sure.

But the time to strike big isn't now.

Perhaps but with each successive victory this narrative keeps evolving. What if they win their next 5 games?

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Buying such a piece would cost one of Liljegren/Dermott/Kapanen and a 1st round pick. Not really willing to give up any of those players.

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I agree with all of this but I would also be looking for a winger, we are going to lose JVR at seasons end in all likelihood, he must be replaced because creating holes in the top 9 is a bad idea.

I would be targeting guys like Jeff Skinner, maybe James Neal if he hits UFA, maybe Wayne Simmonds if the flyers miss the playoffs, or go out in round 1 and feel like they can't keep him.

If JVR goes and it looks like he will that is a big hole and it's a hole that must be filled

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Everyone is listing there favorite potential D man but no one is listing the cost. A First + Lily might be the starting point for some of the defensemen listed. Not sure I want to pay that price. If we're going to let Bozak and JVR walk fine, but for the love of God can we not trade away picks and prospects for older players?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

1) Because this team isn't a contender. Yet.

2) Because this team's winning window isn't now. There's still a lot of natural evolution this team has to go through. They aren't close to the top teams in the league IMO.

3) Defensively this team is still a mess. It's not "one big piece" away from being fixed. It's issues run deeper than it's blueline

4) You have to pay the kids big money over the next 2 summers. Adding money now doesn't make a whole lot of sense, especially now that Marleau has been signed over that period, to go with Zaitsev, Rielly, Anderson, and Naz locked up during that period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad