Post-Game Talk: Could've been worse. Leafs go down 3-1 in the game and the series.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The 2019-20 team would have missed the playoffs if not for the pandemic, which results wise would have made them the worst team outright.

So expected wins.

Also expectations have to be factored in too. The 2016-17 team would be ranked higher by me as an example because they exceeded expectations.

Don't disagree, but only results matter on this board... so expectations should not be factored in.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Source? Treliving signed them, just curious where Shanahan overruled him trading one of them or letting them walk.

And Dubas had complete control? So no need to dislike Dubas anymore?
Don't start this "Source?" crap. It has been posted in this site in the recent past. Make your own effort to disprove. Here, I'll help motivate you: Dubie's reputation depends on it.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Source? Treliving signed them, just curious where Shanahan overruled him trading one of them or letting them walk.

And Dubas had complete control? So no need to dislike Dubas anymore?
Dubas didn't do his job and realizing this team ,although make the playoffs every year don't excel In big games where u need a big push
Dubas should be president in charge of analytics
Pittsburg will learn quick

Reactions: PromisedLand

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Dubas didn't do his job and realizing this team ,although make the playoffs every year don't excel In big games where u need a big push
Dubas should be president in charge of analytics
Pittsburg will learn quick

So Treliving has no say, but Dubas had a say? Seems odd, but if you say so.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So we are not going by results anymore? It's hard to keep up.

I will just rank them by wins and not expect wins.

No one uses context for anything else... this thread is a good example.

I don't mean this in any negative manner, but it is what Leafs have been for a very long time.

Rating the best losses.

I still think there is a good framework there.

A good, not great, goaltender would be huge.

Cowan, Minten, Grebyonkin, Niemela, ???

Need turnover on the team, and need a puck-mover on defense.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Rielly low key needs to go. He looks like he’s going to turn into a TJ Brodie in very short order.
I think Reilly is at a point where he is changing his game. He can’t be aggressive bc his partner is okay defensively. Think he would be much better if Schenn is playing next to him.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I don't mean this in any negative manner, but it is what Leafs have been for a very long time.

Rating the best losses.

I still think there is a good framework there.

A good, not great, goaltender would be huge.

Cowan, Minten, Grebyonkin, Niemela, ???

Need turnover on the team, and need a puck-mover on defense.
I think they already have the goalie in Woll, but they desperately need some more mobile defensemen.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Statistically yes, if we are out in 5, that is the worst series we've had.

Even the play-in we had 2 wins.

All the losses suck and they are losers every year, but the team looks worse this year and statistically, unless they turn things around this is the worst loss.

It's strange that on one hand you want to use statistics to quantify which loss is worse, but you are seemingly ignoring the most important element of the equation, and that's the opponents.

Who do you think were the toughest opponents out of Montreal, Columbus and Boston? Surely that should be a big factor in which defeat was "the worst," no?

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The 2019-20 team was easily worse.
It’s beyond some that it takes time to correct years of a GM screwing up every aspect of the team, be it cap, players, trades, leaving no draft picks et al. These are the same posters who still blame Lou for the Leafs woes of today. I don’t interact with poster’s who don’t have principles, it’s a waste of time…….

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Reilly is at a point where he is changing his game. He can’t be aggressive bc his partner is okay defensively. Think he would be much better if Schenn is playing next to him.

Rielly’s best skill is that of an instinct puck rusher or a guy who aggressively joins the rush. That’s it. He’s of no use as a PPQB. Adds little to a structured breakout and transition. There’s no value in him becoming a more conservative defenseman since that’s a weakness he needs to constantly outscore and there’s no value in the revolving door of babysitters we have to carry to make him barely functional defensively.

Ideally, we replace the Top 2 D on the blueline via free agency and a massive trade. I don’t think that’s really out there yet but in any case Rielly isn’t good enough to be Top 2 and the lower down you push him he’s just too expensive to keep.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Blowing a 3-1 series to the Montreal Canadiens and losing a fake playoff round to the Columbus Blue Jackets were "better" losses.

You're truly a fine connoisseur of losing.

I guess those ones went down easier :laugh:
Definitely biased, you can’t have a more inappropriate name than that guy imo……

Reactions: Bomber0104

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
You cant build a team around overpaid wingers who dont play a playoff style nor have any incentive to win.
Agreed. That being said, I'm ok with keeping Nylander as part of the core moving forward based on his past playoff performances.

Marner on the other hand is not worth what he'll be asking for. I said in the past that we should hold on to him until Tavares' contract expires and re-sign him, but I think Treliving needs to seriously explore moving him this off season.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It's strange that one one hand you want to use statistics to quantify which loss is worse, but you are seemingly ignoring the most important element of the equation, and that's the opponents.

Who do you think were the toughest opponents out of Montreal, Columbus and Boston? Surely that should be a big factor in which defeat was "the worst," no?

Surely there are more variables than just that.

Context is left out 99% of the time on this board, I see no reason to start using it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Don't start this "Source?" crap. It has been posted in this site in the recent past. Make your own effort to disprove. Here, I'll help motivate you: Dubie's reputation depends on it.

Judging purely by what Pittsburgh did and how weird those decisions were for Pittsburgh, I think a Dubas offseason would have seen us package off Brodie and spend some of the UFA dollars on Erik Karlsson, probably lock in Samsonov to the Jarry deal, re-sign Acciari. Maybe sign Ryan Graves.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It's strange that one one hand you want to use statistics to quantify which loss is worse, but you are seemingly ignoring the most important element of the equation, and that's the opponents.

Facts to back up a argument, who has heard of such a proposterous concept…….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad