Proposal: Don't Rent....Buy the final core piece.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
last 2 years, Primary Points per 60 min at ES, minimum 1500 minutes

1.Malkin 2.50
2.McDavid 2.31
3.Matthews 2.29
4.Marchand 2.15
5.Stamkos 2.12
6.Gaudreau 2.07
7.Kucherov 2.04
8.Kane 1.94
9.Crosby 1.88
10.Scheifele 1.87

Reactions: weems

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
If we’re being honest, this team isn’t one piece away from winning a cup. Not while the big 3 are ~60 point players. They aren’t good enough yet.

Tampa Bay is likely going all-in because their best players are in the prime of their careers.

Thankfully, this management group isn’t going to act like a boy heading to prom and will have patience.

I know there's multiple opinions on this but I don't think you need your best players in their prime before you can start to contend. Again throwing the farm away for a piece that won't be with your group for more than a couple of years isn't my ideal situation. I'd be fine with pushing for a guy that fits the age group that can contend with the team for multiple years. Take advantage of those ELC's while we can and build properly when their real contracts kick in.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Selling off a star player for a 2nd pair defensive dman is not my definition of going "all-in", personally.

now imagine, instead, the Oilers had traded Puljarvi and a 1st rounder for an actual impact #1 dman.

Reactions: Bullseye

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Selling off a star player for a 2nd pair defensive dman is not my definition of going "all-in", personally.

I don’t know how you can go more all-in than trading a first overall pick and ppg player. What they ended up getting back is irrelevant, they thought they were getting that piece you’re getting hot and bothered about.

Hall was the biggest chip and they had and they blew it.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don’t know how you can go more all-in than trading a first overall pick and ppg player. What they ended up getting back is irrelevant, they thought they were getting that piece you’re getting hot and bothered about.

they traded an older, more expensive player for a younger, cheaper player.

and I'm certainly not getting hot and bothered about acquiring a player like Larsson, or trading a player like Hall. The opposite is closer to what I want to do - NJ's end of that deal, not EDM's.

Reactions: Menzinger

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

and I'm certainly not getting hot and bothered about acquiring a player like Larsson, or trading a player like Hall. The opposite is closer to what I want to do - NJ's end of that deal, not EDM's.

They traded one of the best wingers in the NHL for a defensive defenseman a single year younger.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
They traded one of the best wingers in the NHL for a defensive defenseman a single year younger.

yep, and I certainly don't want the leafs to do anything like that.

I want them to trade prospects/picks/depth kids for a legit top pair dman.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I am more interested in seeing JVR/Bozak being traded for picks and using those picks (plus an add from us) to acquire an under contract 2nd/3rd line Centre.

I think the Defense will be fine in a couple years. Patience needed.

Reactions: mcinnesja

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

you don't not go all in by making a trade like that. they traded for an area of weakness. teams that try to go all in will do things to make their club better

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
you don't not go all in by making a trade like that. they traded for an area of weakness. teams that try to go all in will do things to make their club better

Yep. This.

That was a knee-jerk, impulsive move designed to cover up a deficiency in their team - and they got it wrong.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
yep, and I certainly don't want the leafs to do anything like that.

I want them to trade prospects/picks/depth kids for a legit top pair dman.

Balance is better. We have a couple top pair D already. Morgan and Jake and we also have a top pair D in Hainsey. What the heck is actually wrong with our D outside Polak? Honestly I like our D just fine, the problem is the Bozak and Moore line primarily because of those two players inability to play effectively in their own ends.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Yup. When I hear "all in", I think of aggressively trading futures (prospects/picks) for shorter term, present help. Hall for Larsson was a hockey trade IMO, though the script seems to have been flipped from last season to this season on that one.

Last edited:

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Two teams I'd be looking at in the hope of upgrading the Leafs.
NYI: their 3.55 GA/G is the worst in the league while their GF/G (3.28) is 4th best overall. We hold the two hottest goalies in the AHL in Sparks and Pickard and I have to believe that either would be an attractive consideration for the Isles given the talent they have up front. Pulock might be available if the right combination of players/picks were discussed. There might be an opportunity to send Martin back as well.
Hurricanes: again, it's about scoring differentials where Carolina is suffering at -0.29 goals/game. Currently 1 point out of a wild card spot (curiously held by the Isles), might a JVR + ??? make the 'Canes consider moving Faulk who has seen his production drop off the last two seasons?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I'm "in the middle" of this argument, but its games like tonight where you need to pause and think. Yes we are top 7 in the league or w/e, but watching this team run around in the defensive zone, its frustrating. Its like driving drunk. You may make you destination successfully a few times, but eventually you will get burned.

I'm not saying this team is bad, but with the way they play, they don't look like a top 7 team. More like around 12ish.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'm "in the middle" of this argument, but its games like tonight where you need to pause and think. Yes we are top 7 in the league or w/e, but watching this team run around in the defensive zone, its frustrating. Its like driving drunk. You may make you destination successfully a few times, but eventually you will get burned.

I'm not saying this team is bad, but with the way they play, they don't look like a top 7 team. More like around 12ish.

Well we lost to the Cup champs. In other news Tampa lost to the Devils and Boston is losing to Vancouver.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
when did Burke ever have a homegrown group of elite young talent winning at a borderline top-5 in the league level before he started making his moves?

calgary:

monahan, bennett, gaudreau, tj brodie

then they traded for hamilton, harmonic, etc.

we are higher than they were in 2016 but the season isn't finished.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
calgary:

monahan, bennett, gaudreau, tj brodie

then they traded for hamilton, harmonic, etc.

we are higher than they were in 2016 but the season isn't finished.

Calgary finished with the 16th best record in the league in 14/15 (28th in corsi), and their leading scorer (by a longshot) was Jiri Hudler.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
I much prefer a hockey trade over a rental and wonder if it would be possible to get Ceci out of Ottawa. He will be an RFA at the end of the season and Melnyk may not want to pay him what he is worth. I would much prefer Ceci over Tanev if the costs of acquisition are similar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad