Management Don Sweeney VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Right now, if you give credit (and blame) to the GM, I'd say no one is better at contracts (not counting free agents) than Yzerman.
I would put Sweeney down as 2nd best.

If Toronto follows the same pattern as Edmonton, it will be a long time before they see another Cup. Chicago won their cups and now they are on the hook for numerous bloated contracts. If you are going to hand out those giant contracts, follow the Chicago model and win first.

Chicago won 2 cups with their star players taking up about the same proportion/percentage of the salary cap. So did Pittsburgh.

The notion that neither Edmonton nor Toronto can win a Stanley Cup with McDavid/Draisaitl or Matthews/Marner taking up a large is ludicrous. Reality is, like Washington found out this year, it's the quality of the supporting guys on cheap contracts that will make or break a cup run.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Chicago won 2 cups with their star players taking up about the same proportion/percentage of the salary cap. So did Pittsburgh.

The notion that neither Edmonton nor Toronto can win a Stanley Cup with McDavid/Draisaitl or Matthews/Marner taking up a large is ludicrous. Reality is, like Washington found out this year, it's the quality of the supporting guys on cheap contracts that will make or break a cup run.
I doubt Chicago wins anything with two guys making 20 mil a piece. It’s finallt caught up with them. We will see with Edmonton and Toronto. Edmonton is heading towards cap hell soon if they don’t watch it. They are the ones that set the standard. Eichel isn’t worth 10 mil. Not yet.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I doubt Chicago wins anything with two guys making 20 mil a piece. It’s finallt caught up with them. We will see with Edmonton and Toronto. Edmonton is heading towards cap hell soon if they don’t watch it. They are the ones that set the standard. Eichel isn’t worth 10 mil. Not yet.

Chicago will be hard pressed now with two guys at 10.5 exiting their prime. Eichel isn't close to be worth 10 million yet, makes the Pastrnak contract look like an absolute steal.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA

I'll be honest, I didn't go back and do the math. For a couple years now, off the top of my head, having 2 guys taking up over 25% of the cap plus they gave their top 2 D a lot more than they are worth is bad business as Bruins fans saw post cup from Chiarelli. They also knew Hossa wouldn't play his full contract because his allergy didn't just come on but was being treated for years, so they underpaid him yearly but extended the length, gambling the league would let them LTIR him long before the contract ends--and the league bought it.

The Bruins paid way too much to bring in Chara and Savard in 2006. However the Cap went from $39m in '05-'06 to $59m in '10-'11 which was a 51% increase so their impact on the cap decreased significantly. That, plus key rookies like you say (Marchand/Seguin/McQuaid) filled in the rest of the cap.

The first 6 years the cap went up 51% but has only gone up 27% in the 7 years since (no cap number yet for next year). So to spend to the cap the same way the Bruins did expecting the impact to come down the same won't happen unless the NHL starts making a lot more money.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'll be honest, I didn't go back and do the math. For a couple years now, off the top of my head, having 2 guys taking up over 25% of the cap plus they gave their top 2 D a lot more than they are worth is bad business as Bruins fans saw post cup from Chiarelli. They also knew Hossa wouldn't play his full contract because his allergy didn't just come on but was being treated for years, so they underpaid him yearly but extended the length, gambling the league would let them LTIR him long before the contract ends--and the league bought it.

The Bruins paid way too much to bring in Chara and Savard in 2006. However the Cap went from $39m in '05-'06 to $59m in '10-'11 which was a 51% increase so their impact on the cap decreased significantly. That, plus key rookies like you say (Marchand/Seguin/McQuaid) filled in the rest of the cap.

The first 6 years the cap went up 51% but has only gone up 27% in the 7 years since (no cap number yet for next year). So to spend to the cap the same way the Bruins did expecting the impact to come down the same won't happen unless the NHL starts making a lot more money.

Yeah, that was really stupid.

Reactions: Banded Peak

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
In on Kovalchuk UFA.
Bruins are looking to move Backes.
Trade interest in Krejci.

That last one is surprising to me. I'd look at moving him for the right return but I'm surprised there is trade chatter on it.

1) Backes is due a $3 million signing bonus July 1
2) Cap floor could rise to $63 million
3) If that happened, today there would be 19 teams under the cap floor.
4) After July 1, Backes would be owed $11 million for $18 million cap hit over 3 seasons.
5) Of course, some teams will hit the floor just by re-signing some of their own players.
6) But, Colorado for instance, would need to add $11 million to hit the floor, already with a 21 man roster.
7) Surely out of those 19 teams, there is one that would take a cap hit that is 64% over the actual money owed?
8) Of course, Sweeney would have to convince Backes to waive the one year remaining on his NMC.
9) Sweeney has, in the past, asked his players to submit a list of teams they'd be willing to accept a trade to.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

I would do it again a 100 times over. Both are great Bruins and help turn the franchise around. Not sure if that could be duplicated today.

Reactions: Flannelman

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Bottom line the Bruins may have got Marchand & Pastrnak for not much more than Austin Matthews rumored to be getting

Dreger said Matthews could be looking at $11.5 and Marner $9 M

It would have been nice for Leafs fans to have atleast won a playoff series before they got screwed

About 18 months ago i posted how much trouble toronto was in and how it would need to be torn apart before they ever had a chance to win anything... i got pretty brutalized in that thread

I also was extremely vocal last year about why Edmonton couldnt set this sort of precedence with mcdavid/draisailt without ruining their team

People kept talking to me about % contracts... and how kids are the key to winning.

Theres HUGE problems brewing with Toronto. When that team collapses, its fans will freak. The owners there are the nhls biggest source of revenue.

Support for the cap system is going to disappear. And small market teams will be exposed.

It might be 10 years from now before we see it... but this is going to get ugly

Reactions: Kovi and 00BW

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
About 18 months ago i posted how much trouble toronto was in and how it would need to be torn apart before they ever had a chance to win anything... i got pretty brutalized in that thread

I also was extremely vocal last year about why Edmonton couldnt set this sort of precedence with mcdavid/draisailt without ruining their team

People kept talking to me about % contracts... and how kids are the key to winning.

Theres HUGE problems brewing with Toronto. When that team collapses, its fans will freak. The owners there are the nhls biggest source of revenue.

Support for the cap system is going to disappear. And small market teams will be exposed.

It might be 10 years from now before we see it... but this is going to get ugly
You did call this Toronto thing

Overall you certainly have a very good batting average

The Leafs are going to be fascinating to watch

Reactions: Saxon Eric

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If and when Game of Thrones ends - it would be a nice gesture if Jeremy Jacobs contacted the company wardrobe department and purchase Jamie Lannister’s gold hand to present to Don Sweeney.

After seeing the way The Sweenius has managed the cap it would be a nice symbol.

Don wearing that gold hand around his neck during the season ticket holders Town Hall would be an outstanding visual.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Dump Backes and you're in good cap shape. Otherwise the situation is neither good nor bad. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but as of right this second there doesn't seem to be much space this year. Cap goes to 80, say, with filling out the roster and potential bonus money I'm not seeing too much more than 2-3 million. Year after that McAvoy/Heinen/Carlo and the entire bottom six need contracts. There's flexibility for sure but writing is on the wall for Backes and Krug in my opinion.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Bruins hope to jump into first round at NHL Draft

Part of me hopes they just make a minor trade to move into the top of the 2nd round and stay the course with their prospect vying for jobs.

Another part of me wants to see them go nuts trading Krejci/Krug/Backes/Miller and getting a couple high 1sts and some prospects/players back.

It's a shame the Bruins can't trade with Montreal. Their GM just gives away their best players for peanuts. He and Chiarelli both.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Is Sweeney a top gm or what? =T

-Chris Wagner was a decent pickup .... otherwise

Joakim Nordstrom..... WHO??

-2.75 for 2 years for Halak when I'm sure Dobby would have come cheaper
-John Moore who sounds like another Nick Holden ...and again WHO?

you know that one friend who won't save up for a nice whatever...but instead hits the dollar store and stretches their money? Well this is Don Sweeney

Or gets suckered via a used car salesman and overypays for a 90's Backes or Rick Nash via trade

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Is Sweeney a top gm or what? =T

-Chris Wagner was a decent pickup .... otherwise

Joakim Nordstrom..... WHO??

-2.75 for 2 years for Halak when I'm sure Dobby would have come cheaper
-John Moore who sounds like another Nick Holden ...and again WHO?

you know that one friend who won't save up for a nice whatever...but instead hits the dollar store and stretches their money? Well this is Don Sweeney

Or gets suckered via a used car salesman and overypays for a 90's Backes or Rick Nash via trade

So because you don't know who any of these guys are, through no fault of your own, you're going to mock him? We're mocking minor signings like Nordstrom? Halak at 2.75M or Dobby at 2.5M; is that 250k extra really breaking the bank? The term for Moore isn't desirable, but 2.75M for a 2nd pairing defenseman is a good number. He's only 27.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
My grades:
IN
Halak - B
Wagner - A
Nordstrom - C
Moore - C

OUT
Schaller leaving - B not upset
Czar leaving - B kind of upset
Kurlay signing - C+ Not too bad
Khudobin leaving - B not upset

Grades are given taking into account what we recieved in return.

Reactions: DKH

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
My grades:
IN
Halak - B
Wagner - A
Nordstrom - C
Moore - C

OUT
Schaller leaving - B not upset
Czar leaving - B kind of upset
Kurlay signing - C+ Not too bad
Khudobin leaving - B not upset

Grades are given taking into account what we recieved in return.

what you mean Kuraly out?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
People went to sleep last night with dreams of landing Tavares. Instead of that though, they got bottom of the roster types being signed to long term deals. :laugh:

C'mon now, they gave one player a long-term deal, at a pretty small cap hit in the grand scheme of things if he plays well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad