Management Don Sweeney VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Bringing up the same point over and over and over is "whining," not "criticizing". It's the same bunch who do it.

New decisions that can be used to bring up old criticisms. Think that’s fair. Sweeney had a pretty bad day today from my point of view. Debateable if Halak can do as well as khudobin did, and he is making more money. Wagner/nordstrom needs to be better than schaller/Nash. Moore needs to be significantlybetter than grzcelyk OR a small step down from Krug. Lots of questions I’m not sure will work out positively for don. The team may have gotten worse while the division got better

Reactions: Estlin

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
New decisions that can be used to bring up old criticisms. Think that’s fair. Sweeney had a pretty bad day today from my point of view. Debateable if Halak can do as well as khudobin did, and he is making more money. Wagner/nordstrom needs to be better than schaller/Nash. Moore needs to be significantlybetter than grzcelyk OR a small step down from Krug. Lots of questions I’m not sure will work out positively for don. The team may have gotten worse while the division got better

We should probably wait to see what roles these guys will play on the team before making these expectations. Hard to expect a guy like Wagner to replace Nash if he's gonna be a 4th liner and was signed to be that...

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Bringing up the same point over and over and over is "whining," not "criticizing". It's the same bunch who do it.

When it's done in praise it seems nobody has an issue with repeating the same things over and over. The second it's not in praise, people cry.

Today, Sweeneely was the ugly girl who didn't get asked to the prom. And the division is getting full of hotter, younger girls.

I actually don't think Sweeney is a bad GM at all. I just don't think he's a good one. He's average.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
We should probably wait to see what roles these guys will play on the team before making these expectations. Hard to expect a guy like Wagner to replace Nash if he's gonna be a 4th liner and was signed to be that...

Kuraly might be who they want to replace Nash. So maybe we say kuraly has to fill those shoes and Wagner has to fill kuralys while Nordstrom fills schallers. I don’t know that seems even worse

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
When it's done in praise it seems nobody has an issue with repeating the same things over and over. The second it's not in praise, people cry.

Today, Sweeneely was the ugly girl who didn't get asked to the prom. And the division is getting full of hotter, younger girls.

I actually don't think Sweeney is a bad GM at all. I just don't think he's a good one. He's average.

I agree that he’s average. I think when it comes to drafting and development he gets an A. When it comes to free agency and nhl level trades he...doesn’t.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Kuraly might be who they want to replace Nash. So maybe we say kuraly has to fill those shoes and Wagner has to fill kuralys while Nordstrom fills schallers. I don’t know that seems even worse

This is what I mean, we don't know any of this. Once we get a better idea of who is going to play where, then it'll be fair to place certain expectations on certain players. We can speculate, but I don't feel like it's fair to base expectations off speculations. Especially one day into Free Agency.

Speculating, I'd say Nordstrom/Kuraly/Wagner/Acciari are the 4th line/13th forward. I don't think any of those cap hits would be unreasonable for those roles, even if we have to wait to see what Kuraly gets.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
This is what I mean, we don't know any of this. Once we get a better idea of who is going to play where, then it'll be fair to place certain expectations on certain players. We can speculate, but I don't feel like it's fair to base expectations off speculations. Especially one day into Free Agency.

Speculating, I'd say Nordstrom/Kuraly/Wagner/Acciari are the 4th line/13th forward. I don't think any of those cap hits would be unreasonable for those roles, even if we have to wait to see what Kuraly gets.

Sure. That’s a fine 4th line. I can’t say it’s improved from last years though. So at best it’s probably the same. Which means that we are relying on JFK, donato, or Frederic to win the 3C spot, which I’m okay with. Still can’t say we got better today. Maybe worse. Not better. Unless more moves are to be made. Although the defense is better today. I’d take Moore over Holden. So the D is better, but also more confusing

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I agree that he’s average. I think when it comes to drafting and development he gets an A. When it comes to free agency and nhl level trades he...doesn’t.

All I know is 2014 he wasn't GM when they drafted Pasta, Heinen, Bjork and Donato. People want to say Chia didn't have a hand in getting Chara/Savard/Kessel/Marchand/Lucic (which is lol) but Sweeney did have a hand in the 4 listed above in 2014. For whatever reason Sweeney is gifted all the success and is absolved of all the failure.

To me the stone cold draft wins for Sweeney are Carlo, JFK, Charlie, potentially Frederick and Stud, and Debrusk despite Barzel. He's made some great signings like Marchy and Pasta, hard to not recognize.

It's split right down the middle between great and trash. He's a 6/10 GM who inherited a ton of great players and added to them. His greatest move to me actually is Cassidy. I didn't see that coming at all, and I think it's certainly worth commending.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
All I know is 2014 he wasn't GM when they drafted Pasta, Heinen, Bjork and Donato. People want to say Chia didn't have a hand in getting Chara/Savard/Kessel/Marchand/Lucic (which is lol) but Sweeney did have a hand in the 4 listed above in 2014. For whatever reason Sweeney is gifted all the success and is absolved of all the failure.

To me the stone cold draft wins for Sweeney are Carlo, JFK, Charlie, potentially Frederick and Stud, and Debrusk despite Barzel. He's made some great signings like Marchy and Pasta, hard to not recognize.

It's split right down the middle between great and trash. He's a 6/10 GM who inherited a ton of great players and added to them. His greatest move to me actually is Cassidy. I didn't see that coming at all, and I think it's certainly worth commending.

I don’t disagree with this post in any respect

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Sure. That’s a fine 4th line. I can’t say it’s improved from last years though. So at best it’s probably the same. Which means that we are relying on JFK, donato, or Frederic to win the 3C spot, which I’m okay with. Still can’t say we got better today. Maybe worse. Not better. Unless more moves are to be made. Although the defense is better today. I’d take Moore over Holden. So the D is better, but also more confusing

It's for sure confusing so far, but the team has all summer to explore ways of upgrading. I have a feeling Backes will get an opportunity there as well if the team can't move him, he doesn't seem like the player who demands he play center or wing. Cassidy might not like his speed at that position or something we don't know about but at least he has NHL experience at that position.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
DS strong point is not making trades and overpay for FA which so far he stayed away from

He overpaid for beleskey backes and Nordstrom at least. He’s gotten great deals on his own guys. Free agency day is where he brings in guys who more often then not haven’t worked out as well as I would have liked. Especially if I weight players like backes and beleskey higher than a guy like Riley nash.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He overpaid for beleskey backes and Nordstrom at least. He’s gotten great deals on his own guys. Free agency day is where he brings in guys who more often then not haven’t worked out as well as I would have liked. Especially if I weight players like backes and beleskey higher than a guy like Riley nash.

How is 1m a year for Nordstrom an overpay? It isn't too much more than league minimum. I agree Beleskey and Backes were overpays, but so is pretty much any high-ish profile FA.

Reactions: Chief Nine

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Didn't you run the same ugly girls line last year this time too about all the teams getting better?

What was your plan today Einstein?

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Always a pleasure to see the same miserable ***** show up after the draft, trade deadline and day one of free agency.

He spent too much. He spent too little

He coulda had x instead of y

Blah blah blah.

But Lou the season starts tomorrow what are they gonna do about this roster?

Reactions: Alicat

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
How is 1m a year for Nordstrom an overpay? It isn't too much more than league minimum. I agree Beleskey and Backes were overpays, but so is pretty much any high-ish profile FA.

Sure but if you’re going to overpay for a high profile player, you need to at least get production that is close. If backes played like a 4.5-5 million dollar player I’d be happy with it. If beleskey played like a 2-2.5 million dollar player, no issues. Nordstrom should be getting league minimum not more, so overpay. Tavares is overpaid but if he plays like a 9 million dollar guy in Toronto (his worth in my eyes) they’ll be happy with it. Halak might be overpaid too. I’d have rather signed these guys for 1 year. Not sure why don had to lock down the 4th line for 2 years minimum and a high priced back up for 2 years

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada

There's definitely a trend of him making mistakes when he misses out on the guys he wants the most. Makes me a bit nervous for the next few weeks frankly. People are rooting for a trade, but I don't think he's given us much reason to root for those yet.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Like Bobby Mac checking with several scouts I have done the same

Many of the guys here like Lou, Eric, GDZ, Jess, and the local family & friends I go to games with I talked to and Don Sweeney grades are in

Wagner - sounds like an A

Half the boys are in the SIM so they get the whole picture and don’t just scratch their balls when they look at his stats and go ‘der gee he sucks’

The others are my buds who mostly (not all) have forgotten more than me and even can remember him playing before college

I like it and endorsed it last month so got to go A

HALAK- originally a B+ but after alcohol and conversations it’s an A-

Loved him ‘until’ he went to Islanders

He’s 33 and if can play pre Islanders this is a home run backup AND insurance policy

MOORE- most of the guys liked it but moreso non HF posters (they almost all read) thought should have been short term

Everyone liked the dollars and most said if he’s third pair that’s good

Me- I don’t get the move and neither did a few others

One interesting comment was ‘Sweeney as excellent judge when it comes to Defenseman so going he knows what he’s doing’

B grade

Nordström- not a lot of love for this

Basically it was

Cheap pickup
Probably a favor to Ax

Solid day

Reactions: KiwiBruin

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Dreger said 2.4 per. They could have had Nash and khudobin instead of Wagner, Nordstrom, and Halak.
The place didn’t want Nash

Last month he was constantly trashed

Glad I found another person by myself who ljked him

Where were you when I was trying to defend Riley

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

You guys know me, I'm always up for a negative view on management. That being said though, holding not drafting Pasta, Heinan, Bjork, and Donato against Sweeney is a little silly to me. Mainly because at this point, only Pasta has become a true impact player in the league. The other three may turn out to be good players, but they're simply not there yet. So while I agree about giving credit for those guys to Chia/Gretzky, it's not like they're all lighting it up at this point.

As for the rest, yeah, Sweeney has been a real mixed bag on trades involving players already in the league. Signing his core up to team friendly deals and giving the reins to Cassidy are probably his best moves to this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad