Management Don Sweeney VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
In fairness so did 90% of this board. Yet, we aren't all posting it daily because it wasn't exactly going out on a limb

True that almost everyone expressed a little disappointment in passing on him but nobody beat the drum as loud and for as long a WTP. Most of jumped on the Jake or Zack train but WTP stayed with Barzal.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I kinda figured you'd post this TBH, that's why I said the performance against the Russians would be discredited which looks like to be a selfish act.

He’s calling a spade a spade.

I can see why people would say it. Personally, I think the production was more about the larger ice surface and inferior competition, but the optics aren’t good after the B’s just got eliminated and DK underperformed vs TB.

Reactions: Estlin

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I kinda figured you'd post this TBH, that's why I said the performance against the Russians would be discredited.

Maybe we can have a video tribute of his performance vs the Russians the same night the Caps are raising their banner? Guy should be a better player for what he's being paid. It's called accountability. What he does in a tournament with rosters that don't truly represent the best in the world on a bigger ice surface means nothing. I mean, hey if you're Ryan Donato in the Olympics, never played pro before, get all caught up in it, be my guest, but watching DK play well after his TB performance, no thanks, I'm all set.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
True that almost everyone expressed a little disappointment in passing on him but nobody beat the drum as loud and for as long a WTP. Most of jumped on the Jake or Zack train but WTP stayed with Barzal.

I also take it WTP is still mad about his HS girlfriend moving on with someone else. He has jilted lover written all over him

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Maybe we can have a video tribute of his performance vs the Russians the same night the Caps are raising their banner? Guy should be a better player for what he's being paid. It's called accountability. What he does in a tournament with rosters that don't truly represent the best in the world on a bigger ice surface means nothing. I mean, hey if you're Ryan Donato in the Olympics, never played pro before, get all caught up in it, be my guest, but watching DK play well after his TB performance, no thanks, I'm all set.

the game was evidence Pastrnak and Krejci have chemistry, sure you can cite ice size, but they still played well together.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
This offseason, the Bruins will have to figure out contracts for

Sean Kuraly,.......He stays
Matt Grzelcyk .....Asset, he stays
Anton Khuodbin ....Stays with reasonable contract.
Riley Nash, .....Sign him for 3 years...Unless Heinen can play 3 center......I think he can.
Rick Nash, Let him walk.....
Austin Czarnik,....Let him walk
Nick Holden, .....Let him walk
Tim Schaller .......Let him walk
Tommy Wingels. ..Let him walk.......

In 2019, the Bruins will have to give Charlie McAvoy PAY HIM
Brandon Carlo, Pay him
Ryan Donato, ...He looks to me a third liner. Small but fast great hands.
Danton Heinen,...I would like to see if he can play center for the third line. I think he can.
Noel Acciari, .....As long as he is cheap we can keep.
Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson, ...The big HYPE... I have not seen enough to make a determination. Can he win the third line center role...Then why sign Nash 20 ?. Or he stays at Providence.
Ryan Fitzgerald...A keeper until we see what we got. Is he NHL ready ? I doubt it. Small, but we have to see more progress before deciding.
Peter Cehlarik......I think he is soft and his skating is suspect. I see what i can get for him or include him in a package.
Fast-forwarding even just one year and the team will then also have to figure out the contracts of

Jake DeBrusk, ....Top line player or top six player. Stud.
Anders Bjork, For me, with Donato, I have no problem trading Bjork....I just dont see him fitting here. Small, brittle and not exactly a guy i see roughing it up along the boards with Tom Wilson. Trade bait.

Torey Krug, ...He is trade bait. He HAS played better. He has sand. That said, with McAvoy he does not fit. Especially at more money. Trade him in a package for a monster Dman. Hanifan, Trouba, ??? I would take a big physical winger. ANyone like Sam Bennett ? He is still young.

Kevan Miller, ...As long as we dont have to pay him more then 2.5, keep him.

Zach Senyshyn, ....Hope to see him at some point on the big club this year.

Jakub Zboril, I have high hopes for this kid.

Jeremy Lauzon I have high hopes for this kid.
and others.

For me the team should look like this next year......

63--37--88
72-46--....
43-20--????....This player must be big, fast and score 25 plus goals.
55-52-42......If we could off Backes that would be amazing......

73-??????HANIFAN, TROUBA
25-?????ZBORIL ???.......
33-86....This would be great i think.
54-

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
This offseason, the Bruins will have to figure out contracts for

Sean Kuraly,.......He stays
Matt Grzelcyk .....Asset, he stays
Anton Khuodbin ....Stays with reasonable contract.
Riley Nash, .....Sign him for 3 years...Unless Heinen can play 3 center......I think he can.
Rick Nash, Let him walk.....
Austin Czarnik,....Let him walk
Nick Holden, .....Let him walk
Tim Schaller .......Let him walk
Tommy Wingels. ..Let him walk.......

In 2019, the Bruins will have to give Charlie McAvoy PAY HIM
Brandon Carlo, Pay him
Ryan Donato, ...He looks to me a third liner. Small but fast great hands.
Danton Heinen,...I would like to see if he can play center for the third line. I think he can.
Noel Acciari, .....As long as he is cheap we can keep.
Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson, ...The big HYPE... I have not seen enough to make a determination. Can he win the third line center role...Then why sign Nash 20 ?. Or he stays at Providence.
Ryan Fitzgerald...A keeper until we see what we got. Is he NHL ready ? I doubt it. Small, but we have to see more progress before deciding.
Peter Cehlarik......I think he is soft and his skating is suspect. I see what i can get for him or include him in a package.
Fast-forwarding even just one year and the team will then also have to figure out the contracts of

Jake DeBrusk, ....Top line player or top six player. Stud.
Anders Bjork, For me, with Donato, I have no problem trading Bjork....I just dont see him fitting here. Small, brittle and not exactly a guy i see roughing it up along the boards with Tom Wilson. Trade bait.

Torey Krug, ...He is trade bait. He HAS played better. He has sand. That said, with McAvoy he does not fit. Especially at more money. Trade him in a package for a monster Dman. Hanifan, Trouba, ??? I would take a big physical winger. ANyone like Sam Bennett ? He is still young.

Kevan Miller, ...As long as we dont have to pay him more then 2.5, keep him.

Zach Senyshyn, ....Hope to see him at some point on the big club this year.

Jakub Zboril, I have high hopes for this kid.

Jeremy Lauzon I have high hopes for this kid.
and others.

For me the team should look like this next year......

63--37--88
72-46--....
43-20--????....This player must be big, fast and score 25 plus goals.
55-52-42......If we could off Backes that would be amazing......

73-??????HANIFAN, TROUBA
25-?????ZBORIL ???.......
33-86....This would be great i think.
54-

So they have no 2nd line RW with your mock offseason, but the 3rd line RW needs to be, "Big, fast, and score 25 plus goals"? :laugh:

Also, Chara isn't going from 1st pairing to 3rd pairing. Zboril isn't going straight to 2nd pairing. Why are the defenseman on the wrong side? This was tough to follow.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
My plan would be pretty simple

Sign-

Kuraly
Grzelyck
Khudobin
Kovalchuk/Nash
Veteran Depth Top 6 D
Veteran Depth foward

Let everyone else walk

Acquire a Top 4 D at Trade Deadlone

Roll

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
DeBrusk Krejci Kovy/Nash
Heinen Kurlay Backes
Donato Acciari Bjork

Bottom 6 can play around with but I’d roll that and have 3rd line be shutdown line and 4th line be more offensive

Pk pairs in some rotation of

Marchand Bergeron
Heinen Kuraly
Acciari Nash

PP
Marchand Bergeron Pasta Kovy/Nash Krug

DeBrusk Krejci Donato Backes McAvoy

Chara McAvoy
Krug Carlo
Grzyelck Miller
Vet D

Rask
Dobby

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
My plan which

4 lines - no grinding line

2018-19

Marchand-Bergeron- Pastrnak

DeBrusk- Krejci- Heinen

Donato - JFK- Backes

Fitzgerald- Kuraly- Bjork

Acciari

On the way - Senyshyn, Cehlarik, Frederic
They could get away with that forward group in the regular season.

Will get used as toilet paper in the playoffs though.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA

In on Kovalchuk UFA.
Bruins are looking to move Backes.
Trade interest in Krejci.

That last one is surprising to me. I'd look at moving him for the right return but I'm surprised there is trade chatter on it.

Reactions: Strafer

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
That’s perfect

1. Saves me money
2. I have them winning in 2020
Lol that’s fair. I think you’re about right in the timeline.

Would still like to see them add some size instead. I know that’s frowned upon here. But a guy or two with some sandpaper to his game that can skate would go a long way.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Would still like to see them add some size instead. I know that’s frowned upon here. But a guy or two with some sandpaper to his game that can skate would go a long way.
I’m curious about all these stories coming out about Backes, Krejci, Hanifin etc

There are well known sports writers going to start up sports sites and established ones and the competition to get action could lead to wild rumors

PacificNWBruin

Apr 23, 2015
Netherlands

It’s not frowned upon. A lot of people like to think because someone is bigger, it automatically makes them better. I don’t like size if that’s the only attribute. As long as that size can skate and play, most are all for it. I would take Gourde, Johnson, Marchessault, Arvidsson, Zuccarello, Gaudreau, etc. on my team. While most would hate having too many midgets on the roster.

Reactions: easton117

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I’m curious about all these stories coming out about Backes, Krejci, Hanifin etc

There are well known sports writers going to start up sports sites and established ones and the competition to get action could lead to wild rumors
Generally I only believe Dreger and McKenzie. If Dreger is saying there’s interest in Krejci that’s probably true. Also probably doesn’t mean much.

I’m from Ontario though so I don’t know too many reliable hockey people in the U.S.

The Athletic has been adding people for a couple of years that seem vaguely reliable. Think that’s where Pierre Lebrun ended up. Could be wrong on that though. I did always like his reporting.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bottom line the Bruins may have got Marchand & Pastrnak for not much more than Austin Matthews rumored to be getting

Dreger said Matthews could be looking at $11.5 and Marner $9 M

It would have been nice for Leafs fans to have atleast won a playoff series before they got screwed

Reactions: 00BW and ThomasJ13

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It’s not frowned upon. A lot of people like to think because someone is bigger, it automatically makes them better. I don’t like size if that’s the only attribute. As long as that size can skate and play, most are all for it. I would take Gourde, Johnson, Marchessault, Arvidsson, Zuccarello, Gaudreau, etc. on my team. While most would hate having too many midgets on the roster.

Thinking Jimmy Hayes?

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I’d agree with size not being the only attribute worth pursuing. I just don’t like the thought of bigger guys being slow/not able to play.

Washington being a good case study. They wore teams down physically. Sure they got some breaks, probably shouldn’t have got out of the first round. That size/skill combo they have though is very formidable.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Bottom line the Bruins may have got Marchand & Pastrnak for not much more than Austin Matthews rumored to be getting

Dreger said Matthews could be looking at $11.5 and Marner $9 M

It would have been nice for Leafs fans to have atleast won a playoff series before they got screwed
The rest of the league should be thanking the Bruins for their contract structure.

If I’m Dubas in Toronto I tell Mariner there’s zero chance he’s better than Pastrnak so here’s your 6 year 6 million.

Matthews is tougher because the hype machine there will add 3 million yearly to his deal. Is he really 4 million per year better than Scheifele though? Almost 5 million more than Barkov? That’s insane.

Reactions: Estlin

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The rest of the league should be thanking the Bruins for their contract structure.

If I’m Dubas in Toronto I tell Mariner there’s zero chance he’s better than Pastrnak so here’s your 6 year 6 million.

Matthews is tougher because the hype machine there will add 3 million yearly to his deal. Is he really 4 million per year better than Scheifele though? Almost 5 million more than Barkov? That’s insane.
Sweeney was a freaking maestro to get that first line signed for the term and salary it is signed for. Absolutely top-notch stuff.

Marner supposedly wants Eichel-level money. With the cap going up I think he will realistically get in the $8-9 million range, but who knows what it could be if he waits and goes off this coming season on the stats sheet. Matthews of course will want north of $10 million. Toronto is going to have some big decisions to make over the next couple summers if it wants to balance becoming a Cup threat with its salary cap.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Right now, if you give credit (and blame) to the GM, I'd say no one is better at contracts (not counting free agents) than Yzerman.
I would put Sweeney down as 2nd best.

If Toronto follows the same pattern as Edmonton, it will be a long time before they see another Cup. Chicago won their cups and now they are on the hook for numerous bloated contracts. If you are going to hand out those giant contracts, follow the Chicago model and win first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad