Not open for further replies.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
The place didn’t want Nash

Last month he was constantly trashed

Glad I found another person by myself who ljked him

Where were you when I was trying to defend Riley

Was actually shocked at the $'s being so low. The only thing that makes any kind of sense is that they really like someone else for 3C coming out of camp. So on that I guess wait and see. DKH how many years until you figure Donato can start at C in this league?

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
The place didn’t want Nash

Last month he was constantly trashed

Glad I found another person by myself who ljked him

Where were you when I was trying to defend Riley

Oh I didn’t want Riley. I figured he would get 3+ over 3+ years and I didn’t want to do that. I would have rather they did nothing and backfilled their holes with providence players then what they did. They locked in a 4th line for 2 years which is weird to do. Especially since every member on that fourth line will make over a million a year (assuming acciari is a scratch.) thats opposed to last year when none of their 4th line made a million. And I’m pretty sure it got worse, not better. I also don’t like the idea of locking up a 3rd pairing dman for 5 years. That’s a lot of years. But whatever. I think the team today is worse and if Sweeney is done i think not only was it a bad offseason, it was a weird one. if kuraly is being promoted to 3rd line this team is in for a tough year.

I’d have much rather just kept the defense exactly as it is without Moore. Let schaller walk. Let Nash walk. Replace Nash and schaller with jfk/frederic/donato/Fitzgerald. And took my chances. Now there is one forward spot available and potentially 4 guys who deserve it over 1 way vets making over a million a year. Aka, guaranteed to make the roster out of camp. Studnicka is probably pissed. Oh well.

But if you told me I could either have Wagner, nordstrom, and Halak or khudobin and Nash. I’d have taken option 2. So in that regard I’m pro Riley Nash. He’s better than any forward brought in today by Boston

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
You guys know me, I'm always up for a negative view on management. That being said though, holding not drafting Pasta, Heinan, Bjork, and Donato against Sweeney is a little silly to me. Mainly because at this point, only Pasta has become a true impact player in the league. The other three may turn out to be good players, but they're simply not there yet. So while I agree about giving credit for those guys to Chia/Gretzky, it's not like they're all lighting it up at this point.

As for the rest, yeah, Sweeney has been a real mixed bag on trades involving players already in the league. Signing his core up to team friendly deals and giving the reins to Cassidy are probably his best moves to this point.

I think relative to where they were drafted it's probably dishonest to not call Heinen, Bjork and Donato a success (regardless of who you want to credit for the picks). I think they can all regress a bit even and still be excellent value for where they were taken.

I'm really curious about where the team would have been last year with Claude (obviously way worse), and where they would have been with Claude replaced sooner (I'm assuming way better). I guess it's really fair to say that when the league became about speed, his system became obsolete.

Reactions: PacificNWBruin

PacificNWBruin

Apr 23, 2015
Netherlands
I remember a lot of the same things being said last year especially after Montreal traded for Drouin. Montreal were favorites over the Bruins even for quite a few that post here. Granted, Tavares is in a whole different league of an acquisition for a division rival. But it’s early as f*** right now to complain. Still seems some moves are going to be made possibly Krug/Krejci/Backes etc. I’m not too worried right now. A lot of people wrote off the youngsters early on. They did well. Really well. Moore, Nordstrom, Wagner and Halak aren’t terrible signings.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think relative to where they were drafted it's probably dishonest to not call Heinen, Bjork and Donato a success (regardless of who you want to credit for the picks). I think they can all regress a bit even and still be excellent value for where they were taken.

I'm really curious about where the team would have been last year with Claude (obviously way worse), and where they would have been with Claude replaced sooner (I'm assuming way better). I guess it's really fair to say that when the league became about speed, his system became obsolete.

I think you can call them a success when they become NHL regulars. At this point they're simply not. They should turn into that, but I'm the type of player that waits until they do before I give them credit for it.

As for where they'd be with Claude, etc. Yeah. With him, far worse and probably on a 4 year playoff miss streak. The team tuned him out. Even worse is that we'd probably be talking about how bad the team was at drafting, since he would surely not have used the kids like Cassidy did.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
did he also have these issues vs the Sens in the playoffs two years ago?

He had the same issues pretty much every other Bruin had in that series. The whole team was ass. I would have rather kept the guy at what he ended up getting, not the 3-4 mil people were speculating about, but whatever, he's gone so good luck to him in Columbus. I trust something else is in the works or one of our young C's is a lot closer than we think.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
“I would’ve preferred [Tavares] not be in our division. The overall process was a really good process to structurally have somebody else dive inside our own team. We were thankful for the opportunity to present,” said Sweeney. “Pat [Brisson] and his group and John himself were really good about it, and he was well prepared. We felt we were.
“We put our best foot forward and it didn’t fall our way. But, again, to be in that situation is something that our group should be happy about, and it’s probably a reflection of what we’re trying to do and trying to accomplish…but I wish it had fallen our way.” -Don Sweeney

To me, this reads like they were just happy to present, and didn't have any real desire to sign Tavares. It comes off like they presented simply because JT included them on his list of teams, but they were never going to do what it would take to actually win the negotiations.

On the other side of it though, I don't think JT''s interest in Boston was all that genuine either.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
To me, this reads like they were just happy to present, and didn't have any real desire to sign Tavares. It comes off like they presented simply because JT included them on his list of teams, but they were never going to do what it would take to actually win the negotiations.

On the other side of it though, I don't think JT''s interest in Boston was all that genuine either.

After watching how JT conducted himself here for seven-eight years or whatever it was I'm really surprised how this shook out. I have heard the owner and a reporter both say Tavares didn't want to negotiate in the summer, and then this year he made it a point to ask not to be traded. Now, islanders were stupid, but all indications were he wanted to be here. Meanwhile, he's digging through photo albums trying to find the perfect picture to hand out when he bolts for his hometown love. Heard an interview last night, he soured a bit when Okposo and Nielsen left in '16 after they made the play-offs. Who knows, but you are right, he was never coming to Boston, and Sweeney obviously knew that but humored him and us,

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

You might be 100% right on this Lonnie. Reading between the lines after this unfolded, the B’s probably weren’t a serious consideration from Tavares’ side, but the lineup may have intrigued them and the B’s likely knew that but went though the motions.

If the Bruins got him at the “right” price it would have been a huge coup but probably not realistic.

And they could have been brought in to drive the price up for Toronto with a contending divisional rival in the mix.

Seems like it was Toronto all along with San Jose as a distant second to me now that all’s said and done

Reactions: LSCII

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
You might be 100% right on this Lonnie. Reading between the lines after this unfolded, the B’s probably weren’t a serious consideration from Tavares’ side, but the lineup may have intrigued them and the B’s likely knew that but went though the motions.

If the Bruins got him at the “right” price it would have been a huge coup but probably not realistic.

And they could have been brought in to drive the price up for Toronto with a contending divisional rival in the mix.

Seems like it was Toronto all along with San Jose as a distant second to me now that all’s said and done

pretty much it I mean honestly, why would he even bother meeting with the Stars? The Bolts, a legit Cup threat but a team who`d have to shed contract if he went there. The Sharks were likely intriguing, I`m sure the B`s were attractive to him a bit but my guess is TO was the place all along, it wasn`t about the $$ as he`d of been paid regardless.

Leafs have a helluva 1-2-3 punch up the middle but unless JT plays D too, the Leafs, as of this time, have done absolutely nothing to address that horrendous D

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Nordstrom 2/2 vs schaller 2/3.8
Moore 5/13.75 vs Cole 3/12.75
Wagner 2/2.5 vs Roussel 4/12

nobody vs Beagle 4/12, Bozak 3/15, jvr 5/35, Neal 5/28.5

Insanity yesterday.
Yah, Vancouver making crazy bottom six contracts.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Bruins will be fine, they'll have 3 30 goal guys easily and probably 3 over 80pts. Sweeney did a great job today adding to the club.

Bruins will beat the leafs in the playoffs still. Not worried at all.
So the team that took the Bruins seven games and just improved dramatically is going to be beaten by a team has not improved it's secondary scoring, which was a huge issue, has not improved it's left side D size with anybody decent, Moore is terrible and a depth D at best, has no number three center at the moment and the only real improvement made was a fourth line banger (which is the only really good news).
Please explain the logic to me of not being worried, unless you want a better draft pick in the first round next year I would say there is considerable need for concern.

It's early, which is fine, but somebody should wake up Sweengenius and explain that not all of his super prospects are going to make the NHL. Frederic and JFK are years away at center, the don't have a top 2 lines center prospect anywhere in the organization, they are small and soft up front and for a small and soft team they aren't very fast.

They have a couple of very good young players in Pastrnak, McAvoy and DeBrusk but I am pretty sure this team as currently constructed is easily beaten by Toronto and Tampa right now. Too many holes that need to be filled by established players which now requires a trade, something Sweengenius is not good at. With the current playoff structure these are teams they will have to deal with for years in hopes of advancing, that doesn't look so hot right now either.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Figured this would be the best place to post this link for those who “think” they know more about managing a professional sports franchise than the guys who actually do this for a living:

2A5256E3-6441-4EAD-A786-BBBB4B903E42.jpeg

Wear it loud and proud! After all, you know better :nod:

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
That people who criticize moves the team makes are arguing they could do a better job.

That's literally one guy who thinks that.

You’re right, none of the posters who criticize every move this team makes (and posters for every other team) think they could do a better job. They’re just venting.

I’ll place the order today for my “strawman”

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Well let's shut this whole site down if you can't criticize anything.

I'll go ahead and apologize for not understanding why we have 8 roster dmen right now with 2 promising rookies looking to make a push. I'll also apologize for not understanding why we keep signing depth players that will likely not even play half a season when we need Top 9 scoring help.

Reactions: Estlin

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Well let's shut this whole site down if you can't criticize anything.

I'll go ahead and apologize for not understanding why we have 8 roster dmen right now with 2 promising rookies looking to make a push. I'll also apologize for not understanding why we keep signing depth players that will likely not even play half a season when we need Top 9 scoring help.

I'll give it a shot here. On the D, injuries, simple as. We added Holden at the deadline, and signed Postma last summer, so we carried 8 d from TDL forward. I was a good thing we had Holden, and had one more d-man gone down, Postma would have been needed. We have Krug, McQuaid, and Miller all of whom are good players but who you can also expect to miss some time being hurt. 2 promising rookies, are just that: rookies that may or may not be ready. Clearly the team suspects they are not. Depth d-men are fine if one of the rookies blows everyone out of the water at camp because you can sit them or send them to Providence. Postma spent most of his season in the pressbox and I don't recall anyone crying about that. If the rookies don't impress, then you have coverage.

On the depth guys at F, well, you need them don't you? And they are a lot easier to sign. What was done replaces those who went out- Riley Nash and Tim Schaller.

I am hopeful the team is looking at options for some top 6 scoring, but we still needed to make the moves we did.

Reactions: Chief Nine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->