Management Don Sweeney IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
The players today are much better but when coaches bench guys who can skate and have hands like Ryan Spooner for Reilly Nash because they want defense not offense

The coaches want guys that don't make mistakes

Vanilla

Systems play (and the bigger offensive zones) has made the NHL less exciting to watch.

People like to complain about the Bruins, even though they are (to my eyes) far more exciting than they have been for the past two seasons... But it's really the entire league.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Systems play (and the bigger offensive zones) has made the NHL less exciting to watch.

People like to complain about the Bruins, even though they are (to my eyes) far more exciting than they have been for the past two seasons... But it's really the entire league.

agreed, in the last 5 years, my interest/excitement in watching the game has waned drastically. I don`t have the time to watch games every night but in years past, I`d make it a point to catch about 3-4 games weekly, problem is, the overwhelming majority of the games (Bruins and otherwise) are like watching paint dry.

I`ve noticed as well even the 3 on 3 has more "system" in play, still fun to watch but you can see the systems there for it

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
agreed, in the last 5 years, my interest/excitement in watching the game has waned drastically. I don`t have the time to watch games every night but in years past, I`d make it a point to catch about 3-4 games weekly, problem is, the overwhelming majority of the games (Bruins and otherwise) are like watching paint dry.

I`ve noticed as well even the 3 on 3 has more "system" in play, still fun to watch but you can see the systems there for it

Might be an age thing,but for the first time in my life I am nodding off during games and I regularly see spectators yawning.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Might be an age thing,but for the first time in my life I am nodding off during games and I regularly see spectators yawning.

could be

while my priorities in life have changed, I still love the game as much today as I once did but the game itself has become so/too system oriented for my liking which is why I think I love the Junior game so much.

While there is/are clearly systems put in place, coaches allow their teams to play more open in general and it`s bloody entertaining. I keep renewing my season tix for the Mooseheads down here because no matter if the team is in a rebuild year or two, the product on ice is fun to watch. Not once in my almost decade being a season tix holder here have I ever witnessed a dump/chase, prevent defense team and the opponents are much the same.

Brucentric*

Dec 9, 2016
For the first time ever i am getting a bad feeling on Claude Julien. I think he may be done here. I think it is managements plan. Because no management can be this bad, this **** poor, unless they have an underlying method to their own madness. No management can stand silent in its losing ways with blood on there own hands, without acting to lay the blame of its own doing on a scapegoat.

They are not even trying to be better unless they get lucky. To be willing to sacrifice a third season with no playoffs is a sad message about what they are as a organization.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
For the first time ever i am getting a bad feeling on Claude Julien. I think he may be done here. I think it is managements plan. Because no management can be this bad, this **** poor, unless they have an underlying method to their own madness. No management can stand silent in its losing ways with blood on there own hands, without acting to lay the blame of its own doing on a scapegoat.

They are not even trying to be better unless they get lucky. To be willing to sacrifice a third season with no playoffs is a sad message about what they are as a organization.

Don't worry Mike Milbury is coming :naughty:

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA

If it wasn't for Bergeron producing like a 3rd liner this team would be comfortably 2nd in the division. The fact that we are still in a playoff spot without our best players being our best players is because
Sweeney and Claude not in spite of them.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
could be

while my priorities in life have changed, I still love the game as much today as I once did but the game itself has become so/too system oriented for my liking which is why I think I love the Junior game so much.

While there is/are clearly systems put in place, coaches allow their teams to play more open in general and it`s bloody entertaining. I keep renewing my season tix for the Mooseheads down here because no matter if the team is in a rebuild year or two, the product on ice is fun to watch. Not once in my almost decade being a season tix holder here have I ever witnessed a dump/chase, prevent defense team and the opponents are much the same.

Great review. The talent seems to just be unleashed in junior and it's awesome to watch. You fortunately will be in the thick of the next wave of over the top excitement building momentum with the current heard of Moose. That's on the heels of stars like Vorachek, McKinnon, Drouin, Meier and Ehlers, just to name a few. Other's should be so lucky! :handclap:

It's a tough transition to go from a prime seat to watch that action to the couch, as you say, watching the paint draw. :laugh:

The norm seems to be once an NHL clubs have them under their control as a pro, they spend considerable time on what they call development. Maybe the more accurate description should be they're beating the excitement in their game out of them. Never seemed to make sense why it took so long for some, who are high end players but a little short of being elite, to make the last big final step to the bigs. Becomes clearer and clearer as time goes on. Hashtag#World Juniors!:popcorn:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Staying silent

Blood on own hands

Not even trying

Insane

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
One of my favorite things to watch is the World Juniors over the holidays -- time with family, watching open, fast, skilled, exciting hockey.

And you have the patriotism thing rolled in there. Eggnog is even sweeter when you're smashing the Russians.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I don't think Sweeney can fire Claude this year. Every year that he can keep Claude employed is a year more than he can extend his own job. It goes:

1) Fire Claude

2) Bring in your guy

3) If your guy fails....you're next

Sweeney needs to buy himself probably 4 years here. I think that starts with firing Claude at the soonest either middle of next season, or end of next season.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines

They went and signed 8 million dollar Backes, let Eriksson walk, extended Kevan and held onto McQuaid. They got Claudes type of players in Nash, Schaller, Moore, Acciari. He has what he needs and elite players like Bergy, Marchand, Krech, Chara and Rask. All World players mind you not some guys like what the Leafs, Wings are rolling out, not even Columbus has that skill. He had the chance to evolve the next core and for one reason or another they left, the good old boys club is now fading they are getting old and have accumulated injuries and we are paying for it. If Claude fails it 3 strikes your out. Hawks would have fired him after last year and we all know that. They are cutthroat and run better.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think Sweeney can fire Claude this year. Every year that he can keep Claude employed is a year more than he can extend his own job. It goes:

1) Fire Claude

2) Bring in your guy

3) If your guy fails....you're next

Sweeney needs to buy himself probably 4 years here. I think that starts with firing Claude at the soonest either middle of next season, or end of next season.

Makes sense but with Tuukka Rask & Zane McIntyre in the nets Claude will look like a genius

McIntyre = Tim Thomas

Add pasta & Vah-trano

Get Bergeron healthy

We're Back!!!!

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I just did the first half for you DKH. Want me to finish it and make a thread?

Twas the night before Christmas, and all things black and gold…
Not a defenseman was skating, for they are too old
3rd rounders are traded for Rinaldo with care,
The only problem being that Rinaldo is simply not there.

Jimmy Hayes is comfortably sleeping inside his large bed,
While Christmas elves continue to fill his large skates with lead
Belesky has 3 point 8 million reasons to dislike the cap,
But maybe Vegas will free us from that Sweeney stop-gap.

The expansion is June 21st, but could it please come sooner?
That seems as likely as a defensive commitment from ol' Ryan Spooner
Cheating towards the breakout he’ll do in a flash,
Which destines you to play with your friend Riley Nash

Thank goodness for Tuukka, who’s the MVP don’t you know
Because good things happen when you shoot, can’t score, and are slow
Who needs Looch or Hamilton, Boychuk or Segs
When you’ve got Quader and Miller, and their 3 working legs

Thankfully there’s David Backes, David Backes is quick,
The only problem is David’s older than St Nick
You cant afford Loui, and Loui is old,
But young David is affordable, bring his youth to the fold

"Now, Debrusk! Now Senyshyn! And Frederick is new !
Your first rounders are better when they come from round 2
And if they can come from round 3 it’s 3 times as nice
Like a Joe Colbourne to tout, but at 3 times the price

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Tell me what makes these guys Claude's types of players.

I agree Reggie.People think Claude wants these stiffs that Sweeney signs like Kevin Miller ,Liles ,Schaller ,Acciari Jimmy Hayes and on and on and on.Sweeney and Neely are the problem.He keeps there junk in contention.Imagine if he had Crosby or Ovie etc.When Bruins get young stars they give them away on him.Where is the top 4 D man they knew they needed now forever ?

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
They went and signed 8 million dollar Backes, let Eriksson walk, extended Kevan and held onto McQuaid. They got Claudes type of players in Nash, Schaller, Moore, Acciari. He has what he needs and elite players like Bergy, Marchand, Krech, Chara and Rask. All World players mind you not some guys like what the Leafs, Wings are rolling out, not even Columbus has that skill. He had the chance to evolve the next core and for one reason or another they left, the good old boys club is now fading they are getting old and have accumulated injuries and we are paying for it. If Claude fails it 3 strikes your out. Hawks would have fired him after last year and we all know that. They are cutthroat and run better.

Yep. They signed a guy who was starting to decline two years ago by most accounts. They let a guy go who could play all three zones well, had a super high IQ, could play the PK well, went to the dirty areas on the PP, and put up a lot of points. Loui was much more of a Claude player than Backes, that's for sure. To say that Nash, Schaller, and Acciari are Claude-type players is hilarious. The make-up of this team reflects Cam a hell of a lot more than Claude. The stats do not lie over CJ's career. His teams score a lot of goals and play solid defense when he has rosters full of quality NHL players. When he has AHL caliber rosters and vets with "grit" and "character" and "toughness" but lack of skill (Cam's favorite) his system does not look quite as good. I'm sure he is just smitten with the hockey prowess of those guys. As far as the so-called elite players, wow, they sure are playing elite. If Claude were with the Hawks he'd have bosses who are more effective and would be winning games like he does when he is given something of quality.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I just did the first half for you DKH. Want me to finish it and make a thread?

Twas the night before Christmas, and all things black and gold…
Not a defenseman was skating, for they are too old
3rd rounders are traded for Rinaldo with care,
The only problem being that Rinaldo is simply not there.

Jimmy Hayes is comfortably sleeping inside his large bed,
While Christmas elves continue to fill his large skates with lead
Belesky has 3 point 8 million reasons to dislike the cap,
But maybe Vegas will free us from that Sweeney stop-gap.

The expansion is June 21st, but could it please come sooner?
That seems as likely as a defensive commitment from ol' Ryan Spooner
Cheating towards the breakout he’ll do in a flash,
Which destines you to play with your friend Riley Nash

Thank goodness for Tuukka, who’s the MVP don’t you know
Because good things happen when you shoot, can’t score, and are slow
Who needs Looch or Hamilton, Boychuk or Segs
When you’ve got Quader and Miller, and their 3 working legs

Thankfully there’s David Backes, David Backes is quick,
The only problem is David’s older than St Nick
You cant afford Loui, and Loui is old,
But young David is affordable, bring his youth to the fold

"Now, Debrusk! Now Senyshyn! And Frederick is new !
Your first rounders are better when they come from round 2
And if they can come from round 3 it’s 3 times as nice
Like a Joe Colbourne to tout, but at 3 times the price
I love it!!!!:bow:

Very talented

Merry Christmas to you and yours :santa:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I agree Reggie.People think Claude wants these stiffs that Sweeney signs like Kevin Miller ,Liles ,Schaller ,Acciari Jimmy Hayes and on and on and on.Sweeney and Neely are the problem.He keeps there junk in contention.Imagine if he had Crosby or Ovie etc.When Bruins get young stars they give them away on him.Where is the top 4 D man they knew they needed now forever ?

If we going to criticize management and coaching (and yes, they deserve some) then fair is fair. That top 4 D man is Brandon Carlo.

We need more, but there is zero question he has improved our defense by a signiciant margin over last year.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
If we going to criticize management and coaching (and yes, they deserve some) then fair is fair. That top 4 D man is Brandon Carlo.

We need more, but there is zero question he has improved our defense by a signiciant margin over last year.

Agreed. And what scares me is he, other than Pasta, is how biggest trade chip, and with McAvoy in the wings I hope they dont trade him. Im uneasy of that situation.

I think Bs need to start drafting ultra skilled players, Claude won't be coach when they make the team, so the 'hard to play against defensively responsible' guys who don't have the natural skill of scoring at the blink of an eye should be a thing of that past.

First things first, we need wingers on our wings and Centres playing centre. And we just need to get some speed up front. We are by no means a fast team. This to me is why I think Krejci's effectiveness has literally been halved in the last 5 years, the game got faster, and his cerebral style of play isnt as effective anymore. (that could be BS but thats something I have noticed)

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Agreed. And what scares me is he, other than Pasta, is how biggest trade chip, and with McAvoy in the wings I hope they dont trade him. Im uneasy of that situation.

I think Bs need to start drafting ultra skilled players, Claude won't be coach when they make the team, so the 'hard to play against defensively responsible' guys who don't have the natural skill of scoring at the blink of an eye should be a thing of that past.

First things first, we need wingers on our wings and Centres playing centre. And we just need to get some speed up front. We are by no means a fast team. This to me is why I think Krejci's effectiveness has literally been halved in the last 5 years, the game got faster, and his cerebral style of play isnt as effective anymore. (that could be BS but thats something I have noticed)

There's just no way. This isn't a Seguin situation. They put trust in Brandon from the very beginning of the season and have shown no signs (along with had no reason) of taking it away.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Great review. The talent seems to just be unleashed in junior and it's awesome to watch. You fortunately will be in the thick of the next wave of over the top excitement building momentum with the current heard of Moose. That's on the heels of stars like Vorachek, McKinnon, Drouin, Meier and Ehlers, just to name a few. Other's should be so lucky! :handclap:

It's a tough transition to go from a prime seat to watch that action to the couch, as you say, watching the paint draw. :laugh:

The norm seems to be once an NHL clubs have them under their control as a pro, they spend considerable time on what they call development. Maybe the more accurate description should be they're beating the excitement in their game out of them. Never seemed to make sense why it took so long for some, who are high end players but a little short of being elite, to make the last big final step to the bigs. Becomes clearer and clearer as time goes on. Hashtag#World Juniors!:popcorn:

current team a blast, Hischier alone worth the price of admission. He`ll be back next year, not yet ready for prime time IMO. Next year`s team going to be a blast to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad