Management Don Sweeney IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Outshooting opponents and dominating play no longer holds water with me. Either this team is statistically in no mans land, or there is a fundamental problem that is leading to a lack of offensive production. I tend to lean towards the latter, and it is on the GM to fix this. It starts by sending Hayes to ride the bus in Providence, it continues by sending out backup goalie behind him. If he isn't going to change the coach, change the dynamics in the room.

They sure quit down 3-0.

They gave up. Not

I'm very good where they are and what is coming after the New Year

I would take Boston in a 7 game series against Columbus

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Immediate fixes:
Waive Khudobin and call up MacIntyre

Sit Bergeron for a few games to heal up or figure it out

Call up some young players from Providence - team has too much dead weight in Schaller, Nash and Hayes.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Immediate fixes:
Waive Khudobin and call up MacIntyre

Sit Bergeron for a few games to heal up or figure it out

Call up some young players from Providence - team has too much dead weight in Schaller, Nash and Hayes.

Agree with most of this, but Nash- I don't get the hate for him here. Yeah he has hands of stone in the offensive zone, but he is a damn fine penalty killer and IMO one of the reasons our PK has been such a real bright spot. He should be a 4th line guy, we agree, but that isn't Nash's fault- it's Clode's. For whatever reason, Julien doesn't feel that he can put someone else on the 3rd line. At least until Beleskey comes back.

Agree with you on letting Dobby "rest" in Providence and giving Zane another shot, and Bergeron too. Schaller, he deserves the 4th line- and he brings more than Hayes does. I don't mind Schaller being the 13th forward on the bench.

Since this is a Sweeney thread, I'd like to see him waive Hayes- his renaissance lasted all of 2 1/2 games :laugh:

But I think overall we have some nice pieces of a team put together

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
They sure quit down 3-0.

They gave up. Not

I'm very good where they are and what is coming after the New Year

I would take Boston in a 7 game series against Columbus

We are in completely opposite boats. I am not happy where this team is at short term (long term, they are looking good). I just don't see this team stringing together a long win streak. Unless you have information on an imminent deal that I don't have, I see little positives in the short term for this team. In fact, I see us as being 1 injury away from being basement dwellers. If Rask, Marchand, Bergeron, or Pasta go down for an extended period, this team is done.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
We are in completely opposite boats. I am not happy where this team is at short term (long term, they are looking good). I just don't see this team stringing together a long win streak. Unless you have information on an imminent deal that I don't have, I see little positives in the short term for this team. In fact, I see us as being 1 injury away from being basement dwellers. If Rask, Marchand, Bergeron, or Pasta go down for an extended period, this team is done.

As Dave Mason said 'We Just Disagree'. I don't share your gloom at all

Habs went from 17-4 to 21-34 with one injury last year so it can be said of many teams

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
As Dave Mason said 'We Just Disagree'. I don't share your gloom at all

Habs went from 17-4 to 21-34 with one injury last year so it can be said of many teams

I'm certain we agree that Don has built a great future for this team, I just don't see this lineup being effective under the current game structure. Some small changes to the offensive zone strategy could go a long way. Oh well, wait and see, ***** and complain in the meantime. I gotta go hop on a flight with a very active 2 year old for the next 10 hours. If you don't see me posting again, it is because i've been locked up in an insanity asylum.

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country
I'm certain we agree that Don has built a great future for this team, I just don't see this lineup being effective under the current game structure. Some small changes to the offensive zone strategy could go a long way. Oh well, wait and see, ***** and complain in the meantime. I gotta go hop on a flight with a very active 2 year old for the next 10 hours. If you don't see me posting again, it is because i've been locked up in an insanity asylum.

If you ask most on these boards if the Bruins are a better team vs last year's mediocre mess they would say yes - the numbers however, would say no.

Bruins game #37 last season was the Winter Classic disaster. After that national embarrassment in front of their fans, B's record was 20-13-4= 44pts, 116GF, 102GA, goal differential of +14.

One full season later, with 365 days to address glaring holes, how do the current Bruins stack up. Worse, if you can believe it, 18-15-4=40pts, 88GF, 91GA, goal differential of -3.

And before the ever optimist brigade comes in trumpeting the "eyeball test" shows they're improved, or they don't quit in games now, etc etc, I will point to Coach Belicheck who so aptly says time and again "it is, what it is" and face facts. Mediocre. Middle of pack. Again, while our GM...evaluates?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Taking the positives from a game and glass half full all season is starting to get real old for fans when; rarely see a win on home ice, team comes out flat start of games, loses to bottom of standings teams, 2nd worst PP, the worst shooting%, 25th in goals per game, opponent gets to 3 goals and it's essentially game over most nights, could miss playoffs for 3rd straight season.

Two games vs Buffalo, a bad offensive team that gives up tons of shots and has a bad PK. Bruins lose next two games something has to give with either a trade or the coaching staff.

They can't lose to Buffalo, they just lost ROR again, there can be no excuses for those games.

I just can't watch this team and think yes in a year they are contenders, they are so mehh& average.

It's been years since we've seen consistency from this team. That's a bad sign.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Agree with most of this, but Nash- I don't get the hate for him here. Yeah he has hands of stone in the offensive zone, but he is a damn fine penalty killer and IMO one of the reasons our PK has been such a real bright spot. He should be a 4th line guy, we agree, but that isn't Nash's fault- it's Clode's. For whatever reason, Julien doesn't feel that he can put someone else on the 3rd line. At least until Beleskey comes back.

Agree with you on letting Dobby "rest" in Providence and giving Zane another shot, and Bergeron too. Schaller, he deserves the 4th line- and he brings more than Hayes does. I don't mind Schaller being the 13th forward on the bench.

Since this is a Sweeney thread, I'd like to see him waive Hayes- his renaissance lasted all of 2 1/2 games :laugh:

But I think overall we have some nice pieces of a team put together

Nash is terrible...sorry but as an NHL forward you need to put the puck in the net from time to time...just being a good penalty killer (which in all honesty is coachable and far from a unique or special skill) and a decent face-off guy isn't enough to justify a spot in an NHL forward line-up anymore. What I don't get is how folks on this board can look at a forward on pace for 2 goals and believe that sort of production is acceptable for even a 4th line player.

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country
Not sure what you want him to do. Guys on the 3rd and 4th lines are place holders

Maybe not resign slow-big-pylon defenseman to 4-year contracts when they can walk as UFAs?

49 total games between McQuaid & K.Miller playing regular minutes each night and only a paltry line assist between the two of them.

Or better yet, 7 goals total from 222 GP by Bruins defenseman this year. Incredible ineptitude from "NHL defensemen." All but Chara were signed, resigned, or acquired by Sweeney in his tenure.

That will certainly win you a ton of hockey games. Who's accountable for that mess?

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Nash is terrible...sorry but as an NHL forward you need to put the puck in the net from time to time...just being a good penalty killer (which in all honesty is coachable and far from a unique or special skill) and a decent face-off guy isn't enough to justify a spot in an NHL forward line-up anymore. What I don't get is how folks on this board can look at a forward on pace for 2 goals and believe that sort of production is acceptable for even a 4th line player.

Don Sweeney went and got Riley Nash.Kevin Miller he give a 4 yr deal.:laugh: Jimmy Hayes he brought in.Schaller he brought up.Heck last year it was that big useless Finn.There is no end to this clowns bad moves.

HiyaGeorgii

Apr 6, 2016

Don Sweeney went and got Riley Nash.Kevin Miller he give a 4 yr deal.:laugh: Jimmy Hayes he brought in.Schaller he brought up.Heck last year it was that big useless Finn.There is no end to this clowns bad moves.

His moves on the Pro side of things have been pretty terrible. Thankfully Chiarelli finally had a great draft in 2014 and we should see two more of those guys as regulars next season.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
They can't lose to Buffalo, they just lost ROR again, there can be no excuses for those games.

I just can't watch this team and think yes in a year they are contenders, they are so mehh& average.

It's been years since we've seen consistency from this team. That's a bad sign.

Agree. Not since Darryl Sittler and Lanny McDonald were we any good. You see a team like Boston that even in down years after Cup runs and a President Trophy in 2014 still put out competitive mid 90 point teams

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
His moves on the Pro side of things have been pretty terrible. Thankfully Chiarelli finally had a great draft in 2014 and we should see two more of those guys as regulars next season.

I sure hope so.Love to be able to give him credit .At end of the day I root for Bruins.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Agree. Not since Darryl Sittler and Lanny McDonald were we any good. You see a team like Boston that even in down years after Cup runs and a President Trophy in 2014 still put out competitive mid 90 point teams

I get what you are saying here but I lived through it all with Sinden being a deal short for a true Cup team ,but hey were in the playoffs so be happy..Its about winning Cups not being close to getting in playoffs.A smart GM would of known last year to deal Loui Ericcson cause that team would not win it all.But they were content just getting a couple playoff gates.That is really sellling out your fan base in long run.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

I don't think his point production is acceptable, but he has done more in the past and I have to think that eventually he'll score a few. It's as acceptable as Bergeron and Krejci, Beleskey (relative to expectations and contract), which is to say that it isn't, but if he does manage to get on track and pot a few in the second half of the season, then I like him on the 4th line and on the PK. I'd rather see him out there on the 4th line than Hayes, that's for damn sure, and neither Blidh, Acciari, or Schaller have really brought us anything more than Nash.

At any rate, we can disagree about Nash, not a big deal, but in terms of where this team needs to be going forward, Riley Nash as a 4th liner is really not the largest of problems.

HiyaGeorgii

Apr 6, 2016
I sure hope so.Love to be able to give him credit .At end of the day I root for Bruins.

Add in the fact Chiarelli signed Vatrano, Accairi and Czarnik as well and he left some nice pieces. Couple that with the defensive gems I believe Sweeney drafted and this team will be really good sooner rather than later IMO. Just need the Bergerons and Krejcis of the world to actually produce.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Add in the fact Chiarelli signed Vatrano, Accairi and Czarnik as well and he left some nice pieces. Couple that with the defensive gems I believe Sweeney drafted and this team will be really good sooner rather than later IMO. Just need the Bergerons and Krejcis of the world to actually produce.

Add a top-4 dman either via trade or internally (McAvoy Lauzon etc) and a young forward or two (JFK) to replace the Hayes/ Nash' of the world on the 3rd line, pray Bergeron heals soon, & this team can be a top-5 team in the East. Krejci & Backes seem to be finally and playing better.

If somehow Sweeney can free himself of Hayes and KMiller in the offseason maybe he can use that cash towards a veteran 20 goal scorer for the 3rd line.

Team isn't too far off. But having McQuaid on that 2nd pairing with Krug is brutal. They need to get Krug a valid line mate asap.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think his point production is acceptable, but he has done more in the past and I have to think that eventually he'll score a few. It's as acceptable as Bergeron and Krejci, Beleskey (relative to expectations and contract), which is to say that it isn't, but if he does manage to get on track and pot a few in the second half of the season, then I like him on the 4th line and on the PK. I'd rather see him out there on the 4th line than Hayes, that's for damn sure, and neither Blidh, Acciari, or Schaller have really brought us anything more than Nash.

At any rate, we can disagree about Nash, not a big deal, but in terms of where this team needs to be going forward, Riley Nash as a 4th liner is really not the largest of problems.

Really I don't care about "production relative to contract" stuff. The fact Nash make 900k to me is inconsequential. He's an NHL forward getting ample ice-time and has 1 goal in almost half a season. I don't care if a guy is the absolute best defensive forward/penalty killer on the planet, if his production is 2 goals a season he doesn't belong in the 2017 version of the NHL, even on the 4th line. Period, end of story. Although I do respect your opinion on Nash.

And your right, Riley Nash as 4th line player isn't the biggest problem on this team, but it's still a problem.

Folks talk about the vaunted CBJ power-play, but what they don't talk about is their 10th, 11th, and 12th forwards are all on pace for 20+ points. That's depth, that's how you win in today's league. This "4th line energy line/can't score line" stuff is straight up garbage. And it's not just Nash. I've seen enough of No-GOal Acciari as well.

The days of running enforcers on the 4th line that can't put the puck in the ocean are over. What's the difference between an enforcer who scores 2 goals a season on the 4th line and a penalty killing forward scoring the same 2 goals. None, both are borderline useless.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Add a top-4 dman either via trade or internally (McAvoy Lauzon etc) and a young forward or two (JFK) to replace the Hayes/ Nash' of the world on the 3rd line, pray Bergeron heals soon, & this team can be a top-5 team in the East. Krejci & Backes seem to be finally and playing better.

If somehow Sweeney can free himself of Hayes and KMiller in the offseason maybe he can use that cash towards a veteran 20 goal scorer for the 3rd line.

Team isn't too far off. But having McQuaid on that 2nd pairing with Krug is brutal. They need to get Krug a valid line mate asap.

He just reupped Kevin Miller to 4 years.He obviously sees things different then most here including myself.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
http://www.bostonsportsdesk.com/the-season-has-been-a-blast-from-the-past-for-the-bruins-brass/

Neely & Sweeney have got to go. I never understood Neely as President of the club (other than as a figurehead), guy was a great Bruin but had zero front office experience. Sweeney is a better drafter than Chiarelli but is lacking in the deal making department (w/r/t player contracts and acquisitions) & the Bruins need a GM who can do both if they are serious about competing for the Cup.

The last two seasons have given me flashbacks to the bad old days when Harry was running the show- good enough to compete but not to win. I hate it.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
http://www.bostonsportsdesk.com/the-season-has-been-a-blast-from-the-past-for-the-bruins-brass/

Neely & Sweeney have got to go. I never understood Neely as President of the club (other than as a figurehead), guy was a great Bruin but had zero front office experience. Sweeney is a better drafter than Chiarelli but is lacking in the deal making department (w/r/t player contracts and acquisitions) & the Bruins need a GM who can do both if they are serious about competing for the Cup.

The last two seasons have given me flashbacks to the bad old days when Harry was running the show- good enough to compete but not to win. I hate it.

Pretty much dead on.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

My goal is to win the Cup, I can't settle on mediocrity.
This isn't a down year, this is the norm for this team.

You keep going on about how it's all fine, they have all the players they need in the system but this is yet another year where we aren't seeing progress. They are struggling to make the playoffs in the worst division of NHL.

It's not going to take long before Toronto becomes a longterm playoff team and potential contender, same for Buffalo if they can ever be a healthy team.
Nothing ever happens with this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->