Not open for further replies.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Has built a boatload of promising prospects plus can't wait to see his team with everyone healthy. Vatrano due back late December early January.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Has built a boatload of promising prospects plus can't wait to see his team with everyone healthy. Vatrano due back late December early January.

I wouldn't be shocked if Vatrano starts back in the AHL to get back up to speed unless there are significant injuries to Boston before he's back.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016

Yes he has compiled prospects but imo none or at least most of them are not elite..
Charlie may be elite but not sure
Zboril could be a good sound dman
Im antiicipating senyshyn...I don't think he'll be a superstar but he might be an exciting player scoring
50-60 pts per season with I'd guess
25-27 goals

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
You cannot get Bluechip prospects (A+) outside of the top 3 picks. After that they are good picks to be had A, A-, B+ and B. Sweeney has a enough of them. Through trades or guys like Vesey/Vatrano they can possibly get one guy to put them over the top. Sheer numbers of the depth he has amazed can lead to that.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yes he has compiled prospects but imo none or at least most of them are not elite..
Charlie may be elite but not sure
Zboril could be a good sound dman
Im antiicipating senyshyn...I don't think he'll be a superstar but he might be an exciting player scoring
50-60 pts per season with I'd guess
25-27 goals

I would not be surprised at all if the best prospect from the last few years turns out to be none of the guys above. There are always kids that are late bloomers and surprises.

Marchand's highest point total was 80 in the Q.

Jamie Benn was drafted out of Minor Junior.

Johnny Hockey was an undersized 4th round pick.

Pavelski was a 7th round pick.

Do I need to go on?

Hoping the B's hit on a couple of mid round guys like Gabrielle and Bjork.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
June 17, 2018 Jesse Gabrielle will turn 21. He's the last member of the GM's first official draft class.

At that point a clearer picture will be in place on his draft & development plan will be in place

A review shows the 2014-16 drafts along with college UFAs look strong so far.

Carlo & Heinen already in top 10 and several others progressing nicely

I will review Sweeney on June 18 2018 to see where this team is at

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Sweeney has to date done a great job drafting players. So much so that his propect pool is overflowing and he now has to turn some of these prospects into roster help to make this team better...

...the trade.

The one questionable area of his resume to date that can use a serious boost now that he is adequately armed.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Sweeney might not see the fruits of his drafting. Takes years to see the results. Look at O'Connell. Some of his guys made it after he left. Unfortunately, not too many of Chiarelli's guys are coming through.

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
Sweeney needs to do something creative at this point.. winning a Trouba trade would make this fan feel better about things.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Sweeney has to date done a great job drafting players. So much so that his propect pool is overflowing and he now has to turn some of these prospects into roster help to make this team better...

...the trade.

The one questionable area of his resume to date that can use a serious boost now that he is adequately armed.

Don't the scouts have more to do with drafting than the GM?

And you are correct, some of those prospects need to be turned into current roster help. Considering fans here seem to want to turnover the roster dependent on the last game played, not sure how many STH are willing to keep buying until DKH's 2018 review date.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Don't the scouts have more to do with drafting than the GM?

And you are correct, some of those prospects need to be turned into current roster help. Considering fans here seem to want to turnover the roster dependent on the last game played, not sure how many STH are willing to keep buying until DKH's 2018 review date.

I always give the GM credit, because he is responsible for hiring, listening to, and trusting the right scouts that can do the job well. Delegating responsibility to quality people is in many ways the most important part of the job.

That's also why I don't give him credit for the 14 draft. Chiarelli drafted Pastnrak and the rest of the 14 class, and I try my best to be consistent.

pemulis

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2008
postdocing in Sydney
I always give the GM credit, because he is responsible for hiring, listening to, and trusting the right scouts that can do the job well. Delegating responsibility to quality people is in many ways the most important part of the job.

That's also why I don't give him credit for the 14 draft. Chiarelli drafted Pastnrak and the rest of the 14 class, and I try my best to be consistent.

Agreed. Starts at the top. In addition, I would say that the GM creates a brief for scouts about what they should be on the lookout for, for particular positions.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I would not be surprised at all if the best prospect from the last few years turns out to be none of the guys above. There are always kids that are late bloomers and surprises.

Marchand's highest point total was 80 in the Q.

Jamie Benn was drafted out of Minor Junior.

Johnny Hockey was an undersized 4th round pick.

Pavelski was a 7th round pick.

Do I need to go on?

Hoping the B's hit on a couple of mid round guys like Gabrielle and Bjork.

I rarely comment on most prospects only because the overwhelming majority of them, unless they play in the QMJHL, I haven`t seen or have seen in such limited action it`s irresponsible for me to comment on projections but man, seems like every time I read the prospect thread, or Kirk`s most recent blog, Bjork is being mentioned.

Here`s Kirk`s most recent offering, boy do I miss his posting here

https://scoutingpost.com/

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Let's look at Chiarelli's drafting. From 2007 to 2014 he was the person in charge and the NHL returns are small.

Zach Hamill
Tommy Cross
Denis Reul
Alain Goulet
Radim Ostrcil
Jordan Knackstedt

Joe Colborne
Max Sauve
Michael Hutchinson
Jamie Arniel
Nick Tremblay
Mark Goggin

Jordan Caron
Ryan Button
Lane MacDermid
Tyler Randell
Ben Sexton

Tyler Seguin
Jared Knight
Ryan Spooner
Craig Cunningham
Justin Florek
Zane Gothberg
Maxim Chudinov
Zach Trotman

Dougie Hamilton
Alexander Khokhlachev
Anthony Camara
Brian Ferlin
Rob O'Gara
Lars Volden

Malcolm Subban
Matthew Grzelcyk
Seth Griffith
Cody Payne
Matthew Benning
Colton Hargrove

Linus Arnesson
Peter Cehlarik
Ryan Fitzgerald
Wiley Sherman
Anton Blidh
Mitchell Dempsey

David Pastrnak
Ryan Donato
Danton Heinen
Anders Bjork
Emil Johansson

Yikes.......out of 8 years of drafting.... the Bruins have Ryan Spooner and David Pastrnak to show as present NHL roster players.
This is where the problem lies in why this team is on a downward spiral.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
June 17, 2018 Jesse Gabrielle will turn 21. He's the last member of the GM's first official draft class.

At that point a clearer picture will be in place on his draft & development plan will be in place

A review shows the 2014-16 drafts along with college UFAs look strong so far.

Carlo & Heinen already in top 10 and several others progressing nicely

I will review Sweeney on June 18 2018 to see where this team is at

You'll review his drafting efforts or his overall work as GM? After all, drafting is but a fraction of the responsibility of a GM, right?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
You'll review his drafting efforts or his overall work as GM? After all, drafting is but a fraction of the responsibility of a GM, right?

Honestly, and I don't mean this just for Sweeney, but if you take care of the drafting part in a Cap league, the rest usually takes care of itself. Trade here and there, couple of FA signings and it should all be good.

If you take a look at the successful teams in the NHL, most (there are always exceptions) drafted well.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY

Of the 7 trades, I'd say Sweeney lost 2 and won 5.
The two on my list that he lost are the Stempniak trade and
Riley Smith for Jimmy Hayes trade. Granted the Hayes trade also cleared
Savards cap space but I'll still count that as a loss.
Liles is at least a push. Not much value in a 5th rounder.

Just noticed the Rinaldo trade isn't on there. That is a loss as well.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Honestly, and I don't mean this just for Sweeney, but if you take care of the drafting part in a Cap league, the rest usually takes care of itself. Trade here and there, couple of FA signings and it should all be good.

If you take a look at the successful teams in the NHL, most (there are always exceptions) drafted well.

Not saying that drafting well won't serve him well down the line, but he still has to properly manage the assets he has already, if for no other reason than he likely won't see the fruits of his drafting because he won't be around if he doesn't.

Again, if the day he was hired we were sold on a rebuild, I'd put more emphasis on drafting. Yes I'd be concerned with the number of picks he could acquire with current assets, but drafting would be his major measuring stick. But with 3-4 top-tier veterans, a veteran coach, an owner and President talking about competing today, signing David Backes, etc., nobody is looking at this as a rebuild. So while the early draft results look promising, it's but a fraction of his job.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Not saying that drafting well won't serve him well down the line, but he still has to properly manage the assets he has already, if for no other reason than he likely won't see the fruits of his drafting because he won't be around if he doesn't.

Again, if the day he was hired we were sold on a rebuild, I'd put more emphasis on drafting. Yes I'd be concerned with the number of picks he could acquire with current assets, but drafting would be his major measuring stick. But with 3-4 top-tier veterans, a veteran coach, an owner and President talking about competing today, signing David Backes, etc., nobody is looking at this as a rebuild. So while the early draft results look promising, it's but a fraction of his job.

I completely disagree with this.

IMO, the B's are in a rebuild of sorts, the ownership just doesn't want to tank to do it. My personal opinion is that Sweeney has been given the hardest mandate in sports...maintain a competitive team while still rebuilding.

Even in a rebuild, teams cannot go 100% rookie players, it never works. While hardcore fans will stick with a team through a few "tank" years, most of Boston's finicky sports fans won't.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I completely disagree with this.

IMO, the B's are in a rebuild of sorts, the ownership just doesn't want to tank to do it. My personal opinion is that Sweeney has been given the hardest mandate in sports...maintain a competitive team while still rebuilding.

Even in a rebuild, teams cannot go 100% rookie players, it never works. While hardcore fans will stick with a team through a few "tank" years, most of Boston's finicky sports fans won't.

I wouldn't argue with any of that, but it still doesn't mean I'm going to evaluate the guy solely on his drafting nor do I think anyone should. There's way more to the job than that. He has to decide which free agents to sign, which guys to commit to long-term, he needs to plan for a window that makes sense to compete given his draft picks progress and the age of his roster, etc. He also needs to decide which assets to keep and which he might be better moving. There are several measures on which he can be evaluated besides just his drafting record.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I wonder if they're holding off trading for Trouba until Vatrano comes back and shows what he can do. Right now, Spooner is playing on Krejci's wing and there really isn't anyone else with experience that can step into the position if Spooner is traded for Trouba.

A healthy team + a Spooner/CMiller trade would look like

Marchand -- Bergeron -- Czarnik

Beleskey -- Krejci -- Pasta

Vatrano -- Backes -- Nash/Hayes

Schaeller -- Moore -- Acciari

Chara -- Carlo

Krug -- Trouba

Liles -- McQuaid

I wonder if there's a way we could pry Joel Armia from the Jets as well. He'd look great on Backes' right wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad