Management Don Sweeney IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I'm going to stick with my original prediction that during the next 60 days +/- the Bruins will attempt to address needs through acquiring an established NHL player or players as well as continue to infuse youth into the lineup.
After the deadline I would not be surprised to see one or two college prospects make the jump and be given a look in the lineup.
I think this is going to be an interesting and exciting time where we catch a glimpse of what the future holds.
At least I'm hoping anyways.

Killerbeez

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Ellsworth, Maine
none
I'd settle for a capable backup goalie at this point. I want Rask ready for 7 straight games in the Stanley cup finals. We currently can't get there with resting him and he will get gassed if we don't. This year begins and ends with Rask.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
The Blue Jackets, our next opponents, used to be bottom of the league, now they are at the top. Sweeney should take notes.

Also for the love of god please replace Khudobin. I don't care if we need to make a callup from the AHL or make a minor trade. We just can't win without Rask standing on his head at this point.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The Blue Jackets, our next opponents, used to be bottom of the league, now they are at the top. Sweeney should take notes.

Also for the love of god please replace Khudobin. I don't care if we need to make a callup from the AHL or make a minor trade. We just can't win without Rask standing on his head at this point.

Here is what Sweeney will find

Since 2010 Columbus has picked 2,3,4, 7,8

I'm not even sure what they did prior to that

Sweeney needs to suck for 7 years and accumulate draft picks

That should go over well here

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Sooo.... Only 4.5 more years of sucking to go!:laugh::sarcasm:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

They also traded for Jones(1st pairing defenseman), traded for Saad(1st line winger), traded Wisniewski for William Karlsson, signed Gagner.
Saad+Jones+ Gagner have happened during the last 1.5 years, the time Sweeney has had the job.

Last edited:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
They also traded for Jones(1st pairing defenseman), traded for Saad(1st line winger), traded Wisniewski for William Karlsson, signed Gagner.
Saad+Jones+ Gagner have happened during the last 1.5 years, the time Sweeney has had the job.

So Sweeney should trade Pasta for a Jones, because that is the cost.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The problem is the Bruins have not sucked bad enough the past 2 years and we seem doomed to have a third year of just missing.

The real challenge for the Bruins is going to be on the business side as most STH's I have talked to can't take the uninspired play at home anymore. The one fun home game this year was against Winnipeg 6 weeks ago The team is slowly heading back to the dark days of 2006-7 but now tickets are three times as much as they were a decade ago.

The Atlantic Division will be seeing a changing of the guard soon as Buffalo and yes Toronto appear to be headed in the right direction.

Will Papa Jacobs accept that the Bruins need to blow it up and rebuild? I doubt it.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
The problem is the Bruins have not sucked bad enough the past 2 years and we seem doomed to have a third year of just missing.

The real challenge for the Bruins is going to be on the business side as most STH's I have talked to can't take the uninspired play at home anymore. The one fun home game this year was against Winnipeg 6 weeks ago The team is slowly heading back to the dark days of 2006-7 but now tickets are three times as much as they were a decade ago.

The Atlantic Division will be seeing a changing of the guard soon as Buffalo and yes Toronto appear to be headed in the right direction.

Will Papa Jacobs accept that the Bruins need to blow it up and rebuild? I doubt it.

It really feels as though being mediocre is worse than just plain sucking. To me the problem is that they have guys that really should be on a winning team but are stuck in this in between state of existence. The only way that they can really have a shot at a complete and drastic rebuild is a fire sale. The problem with that is this: What do you do with young stars in the making, Pasta, Carlo and McAvoy. Those 3 will be on the forefront of the new Bruins in 6-7 years after Bergy, Krejci, Chara, and Backes are gone. If they keep them and are relegated to the basement for 5 years what does that do to the young guys psyche's? Can't have them live thru that and expect them to have a winning attitude, can't get rid of them and hope for a reborn Boston Bruins for at least 10 years (think Toronto Maple Leafs). At this point, with the moves that they've made and the direction they're moving in, the slow, partial, piece-meal makeover is the only way to go without having a meltdown that they won't be able to pull out of for a generation.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I'd settle for a capable backup goalie at this point. I want Rask ready for 7 straight games in the Stanley cup finals. We currently can't get there with resting him and he will get gassed if we don't. This year begins and ends with Rask.

Gee, I'm sure glad that they wrapped Dobie up for 2 years....

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It really feels as though being mediocre is worse than just plain sucking. To me the problem is that they have guys that really should be on a winning team but are stuck in this in between state of existence. The only way that they can really have a shot at a complete and drastic rebuild is a fire sale. The problem with that is this: What do you do with young stars in the making, Pasta, Carlo and McAvoy. Those 3 will be on the forefront of the new Bruins in 6-7 years after Bergy, Krejci, Chara, and Backes are gone. If they keep them and are relegated to the basement for 5 years what does that do to the young guys psyche's? Can't have them live thru that and expect them to have a winning attitude, can't get rid of them and hope for a reborn Boston Bruins for at least 10 years (think Toronto Maple Leafs). At this point, with the moves that they've made and the direction they're moving in, the slow, partial, piece-meal makeover is the only way to go without having a meltdown that they won't be able to pull out of for a generation.

When the NHL absorbed 4 teams from the WHL in 1979-80 the league then had 21 teams so it was decided that 16 teams would make the playoffs.

That helped the Bruins set the all time NHL record for consecutive playoff seasons at 29

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ance_streaks#Post-season_appearance_streaks_2

When the Bruins missed the playoffs in 1996–97 they were a horrific team but they drafted Joe Thornton #1 and they bounced back the following season even with Pat Burns playing Thornton as little as possible.

Today the NHL has 30 teams ( soon to be 31 ) but only 16 teams can be invited to the real season.

Gut feeling is the Bruins will offer Jack Eichel a monster offer sheet for the 2018-19 season that Buffalo will not match to make the local the face of the franchise.

Short term I fear the Bruins will be sellers in 2 months IF Papa Jacobs allows it.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Tonight's 8-0 loss and getting out shot by Columbus 40-22 shows how bad Boston has fallen

Columbus actually at one point had 21 straight shots attempted on goal to Boston's 0

If not for Rask the Bruins lose 13-0

The Bruins have yet to make the playoffs in Don Sweeney's tenure of 1 year (thsnks to the wonderful Poster who dug up that nugget. Good digging)

I've read he's destroyed the cap and signed and drafted all the wrong guys

We are dooooooooooomed

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Tonight's 8-0 loss and getting out shot by Columbus 40-22 shows how bad Boston has fallen

Columbus actually at one point had 21 straight shots attempted on goal to Boston's 0

The Bruins have yet to make the playoffs in Don Sweeney's tenure of 1 year (thsnks to the wonderful Poster who dug up that nugget. Good digging)

We are dooooooooooomed

Appreciate the sarcasm,I also don't blame Sweeney but there is no way the Bruins can regularly repeat that pace of hockey. Krejci just doesn't play that way,that might have been the fastest I have ever seen him skate,and neither does Backes. Can you imagine repeating that in any 7 game series,game after game?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

They need to get into the single digits like when they got Thornton & Samsonov

Kessel was 5

It would have been easier if they didn't draft Pastrnak and Carlo

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick

We are dooooooooooomed

Outshooting opponents and dominating play no longer holds water with me. Either this team is statistically in no mans land, or there is a fundamental problem that is leading to a lack of offensive production. I tend to lean towards the latter, and it is on the GM to fix this. It starts by sending Hayes to ride the bus in Providence, it continues by sending out backup goalie behind him. If he isn't going to change the coach, change the dynamics in the room.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Outshooting opponents and dominating play no longer holds water with me. Either this team is statistically in no mans land, or there is a fundamental problem that is leading to a lack of offensive production. I tend to lean towards the latter, and it is on the GM to fix this. It starts by sending Hayes to ride the bus in Providence, it continues by sending out backup goalie behind him. If he isn't going to change the coach, change the dynamics in the room.

I'm a big Claude supporter, but the team does feel a little "safe" right now doesn't it? Like this is the lineup and that's that. No pressure from anywhere. Problem is I don't know where that pressure would come from. Zane I guess wouldn't be worse than Dobby. But Heinen has been a non factor, not sure anyone else is really threatening to steal a job. Cehlarik maybe? DeBrusk? I think he needs time. O'Gara has fallen off the radar. Gryz was ok.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
I still think we are really "only" one impact Dman away from being pretty damn good. A #2/3 who can play with Krug. Then we'd be a team that will make the playoffs and you wouldn't want to face in the first round. It's by no means easy to acquire but I don't think it's as bad as it seems. Slotting in a #2/3 Dman will slide everyone down to be in their proper places. Chara-Carlo, Krug-New Guy, and Liles-McQuaid for example is a pretty solid group. Each player is in a slot that they are capable of being effective in.

Then maybe another pretty piece after that from being a legit contender. This is assuming that Bergeron finds his offensive production again. I think most of our offensive struggles have been from losing Bergy's 30-30 production.

Last edited:

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
I'm a big Claude supporter, but the team does feel a little "safe" right now doesn't it? Like this is the lineup and that's that. No pressure from anywhere. Problem is I don't know where that pressure would come from. Zane I guess wouldn't be worse than Dobby. But Heinen has been a non factor, not sure anyone else is really threatening to steal a job. Cehlarik maybe? DeBrusk? I think he needs time. O'Gara has fallen off the radar. Gryz was ok.

The waiver wire, random unsigned players, trade futures, a 7th round pick for a marginal guy. It really doesn't matter what is brought into replace Hayes. We have 7 healthy D, try moving Krug to wing. To me, it is more about sending the message that regardless of your contract status, you need to perform.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts

We are dooooooooooomed

Taking the positives from a game and glass half full all season is starting to get real old for fans when; rarely see a win on home ice, team comes out flat start of games, loses to bottom of standings teams, 2nd worst PP, the worst shooting%, 25th in goals per game, opponent gets to 3 goals and it's essentially game over most nights, could miss playoffs for 3rd straight season.

Two games vs Buffalo, a bad offensive team that gives up tons of shots and has a bad PK. Bruins lose next two games something has to give with either a trade or the coaching staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad