Prospect Info: Dominik Bokk (2018 Draft - 25th overall)

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
He was on the left side of the power play and was on the second line, hopefully he keeps getting those opportunities in the regular season.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I really liked that fake shot to pass on the PP. Don't think even his teammate was ready for it though. Would've been a good chance if he let a 1-T go.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

A few nice plays from Bokk in the game

That attempted drop pass when he skated the puck in surrounded by 3 defenders (~0:11) ended up in a really dangerous scoring chance going back the other way. I noticed in another game of his that Bokk turns the puck over way too much at the offensive blue line. Super dangerous place for a turnover. The flashy plays are nice, and Bokk is obviously SUPER skilled, but he has to get better managing the puck and make smarter decisions within the pro game plan. Some times in a game/places on the ice, it's simply too dangerous for dekes or dipsy doodle-ing.

Not overly concerned about it, he's still super young and I'm certain he'll get better in this regard. Just something I've noticed watching a couple games of his. Hopefully he learns to balance his offensive creativity with playing within a pro system without neutering what makes him a great prospect.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I have a different take on this Stl76. I would like to see him to as much as he can in the preseason and during regular season. Creating confidence is important, and against tougher competition, I want to see him try to do more and more. Not less. I know it creates a bad turnover, but I want to see him grow his game, not get stuck playing it safe. Only way to improve skills is by attempting (and yes failing) to do those skills during the game. And then adjusting to improve them. (Practice never simulate games).

Playing it safe and not risk taking doesn't develop skills. Just creates a Barby type player who is afraid to make mistakes. When you are developing, I feel there is more reason to make mistakes and try new things, then just play safe. I would be more concerned about not getting back and cherry picking and not engaging in board play then I am about other things - such as over handling the puck. (And before anyone talks about habits being created... I think there needs to be a balance).

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I have a different take on this Stl76. I would like to see him to as much as he can in the preseason and during regular season. Creating confidence is important, and against tougher competition, I want to see him try to do more and more. Not less. I know it creates a bad turnover, but I want to see him grow his game, not get stuck playing it safe. Only way to improve skills is by attempting (and yes failing) to do those skills during the game. And then adjusting to improve them. (Practice never simulate games).

Playing it safe and not risk taking doesn't develop skills. Just creates a Barby type player who is afraid to make mistakes. When you are developing, I feel there is more reason to make mistakes and try new things, then just play safe. I would be more concerned about not getting back and cherry picking and not engaging in board play then I am about other things - such as over handling the puck. (And before anyone talks about habits being created... I think there needs to be a balance).
Play like that would indicate a me-first type of player. The first goal is to win the game. Any coach is going to try to improve the decision-making and eliminate those bad choices. Stubbornly continuing those plays would show a guy that either lacks self-awareness, is too arrogant to take coaching, or just prioritizes his play above the team goal.

There are plenty of opportunities to make fancy plays in less dangerous areas of the ice. It’s a sign of maturity and self-knowledge to be more selective in when you try things.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Not trying to call you out but I mean, this goes for every prospect.

He's 18. If he wasn't making mistakes he wouldn't be a real human being.
I don’t disagree, but there are degrees of doing it. Kyrou made a high percentage of dangerous plays (that has changed over his OHL career) as it seems Bokk does as well. Fabbri was not making them to the same degree, but was still making them. Thomas has been making even less. It’s all a matter of relative comparisons to me and it certainly isn’t some bright red, waving flag. It’s just something to monitor as he develops.

Reactions: The Note in MI

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

Bokk playing live right now don’t miss it! Will be recording the game best I can

Thanks for posting. There were only 2 min left in the game by the time I saw this post but the one interesting thing I noticed was that instead of a buzzer to indicate a time-out was over, it sounded like a school bell. :laugh:

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Thanks for posting. There were only 2 min left in the game by the time I saw this post but the one interesting thing I noticed was that instead of a buzzer to indicate a time-out was over, it sounded like a school bell. :laugh:
Have recordings. Getting them prepped for YouTube now hope to have them loaded up by this evening. But ya different for sure.

converseman54

Apr 13, 2017
STL
Was only able to half pay attention with kids running around but looked like Bokk was on the 2nd PP unit. A little surprised but I know next to nothing about that league so maybe since he's so young he wouldn't get 1st PP time yet

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Was only able to half pay attention with kids running around but looked like Bokk was on the 2nd PP unit. A little surprised but I know next to nothing about that league so maybe since he's so young he wouldn't get 1st PP time yet

He’s an. 18 yr old in a pro league. Probably a bit fortunate to be getting PP2 minutes as it actually.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Have recordings. Getting them prepped for YouTube now hope to have them loaded up by this evening. But ya different for sure.

I have a 2 yr old and 3 mo old so the odds of me actually sitting down to watch it are about nil but I do really appreciate you doing that.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012

Disagree to an extent. There’s a time and place for dangling and a time and place for using the boards, soft chips and forechecking. If bokk doesn’t improve his puck management in that regard he won’t play in the NHL, learning and reading when to make the safe smart play vs. the dirty dangle is a big part in developing as a hockey player. If he continues to make poor decisions due to trying to toe drag 3 guys at the blue line EVERY single time it will hurt his development.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I don’t disagree, but there are degrees of doing it. Kyrou made a high percentage of dangerous plays (that has changed over his OHL career) as it seems Bokk does as well. Fabbri was not making them to the same degree, but was still making them. Thomas has been making even less. It’s all a matter of relative comparisons to me and it certainly isn’t some bright red, waving flag. It’s just something to monitor as he develops.
This is really all I was trying to say. I don't see this as a major glaring issue that we should all hyperfocus on. Rather I see it as something to be aware of and hopefully see growth with as Bokk develops.

Bokk is obviously talented offensively, and the last thing I want to happen is for his offensive creativity to be neutered because he's scared of turning the puck over occasionally. We drafted Bokk for his offensive upside, not his puck management skills. I don't want Bokk to be afraid to make a risky high danger/high reward play, and of course there are going to be times he makes mistakes. However, if any player is allowing too many dangerous turnovers, their coach will inevitably limit their ice time (especially true for younger players in pro leagues).

I just hope we see a better balance of risk/reward as he develops because I think it will open more opportunities for Bokk in the long run. As long as there is a positive balance, and the offensive reward outweighs the defensive risk, hopefully we can see Bokk take a larger role on the team and be given even bigger minutes.

Here it is folks

Thanks for posting, hope to check this game out when I have some free time this week!

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I've been following the Vaxjo statlines so far this season. Happy to see Bokk off to a strong start. Do you know if there are any highlights available for these games?

And in case you want to look at highlights of the full game you could try this site:
SHL Play

It works for me in Germany, I don't know if it works from the US.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
I've been following the Vaxjo statlines so far this season. Happy to see Bokk off to a strong start. Do you know if there are any highlights available for these games?

Like for every other match, there will be a clip with highlights available under this link later. Brynäs IF - Växjö Lakers However, I noticed that the clips have been without (swedish) commentary so far this season. ;) You should watch the clip with Bokk's first (secondary) assist of the season vs. Timrå - an absolute beauty, which underlines his great vision of the ice. :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad