Prospect Info: Dominik Bokk (2018 Draft - 25th overall)

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don’t believe this is the most common view by league-wide scouts. I hope it’s true, but I think this is more wishful/biased thinking.

This season, Thomas raised his expected ceiling significantly, and Kyrou’s stayed the same as it had been.
That's flat out wrong. Thomas mostly sucked ass during the year, you'd see flashes here and there but he was largely inconsistent and some night, flat out bad. He's 19 and was forced to grow into the NHL thanks to craptastic rules. Kyrou also struggled in the NHL but had the ability to go to the AHL, which he proceeded to torch till he was injured. Kyrou was not able to make the jump from Juniors to the NHL and I'd bet money that if Thomas was AHL eligible, he would have been sent down with Kyrou too.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
That's flat out wrong. Thomas mostly sucked ass during the year, you'd see flashes here and there but he was largely inconsistent and some night, flat out bad. He's 19 and was forced to grow into the NHL thanks to craptastic rules. Kyrou also struggled in the NHL but had the ability to go to the AHL, which he proceeded to torch till he was injured. Kyrou was not able to make the jump from Juniors to the NHL and I'd bet money that if Thomas was AHL eligible, he would have been sent down with Kyrou too.
Thomas struggled early but got considerably better as year went on and was one of our top forwards last quarter of the season. He may perhaps have been sent down to SA if eligible, but not like that was magic potion for Kyrou. Kyrou was good in SA but never got better in St. Louis. Kyrou was sent down, called up, and then right after he got sent down again we went on long winning streak. Kyrou may be fine player one day but not likely he ever reaches heights that Thomas will.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Thomas struggled early but got considerably better as year went on and was one of our top forwards last quarter of the season. He may perhaps have been sent down to SA if eligible, but not like that was magic potion for Kyrou. Kyrou was good in SA but never got better in St. Louis. Kyrou was sent down, called up, and then right after he got sent down again we went on long winning streak. Kyrou may be fine player one day but not likely he ever reaches heights that Thomas will.
At this point, my observation is your just biased against Kyrou.....idk why. There isn't much of an argument against him struggling in the NHL, because he did but his main chances were when the Blues were bad. Then it was hit or miss with no consistency to his line or playing time(his fault). Imagine the pressure the guy feels knowing a mistake parks him on the bench. I can empathize with him struggling and over thinking the game. Thomas had these struggles too but he had no choice but to iron it out in the NHL. If I soley watch him this season and nothing before, I'd largely walk away unimpressed by Thomas. That's not the case though, I'm very familiar with his skills. From a pure offensive perspective, Kyrou is at his level or higher. He does what Thomas does at higher speeds. I'd agree that he doesn't have the 3 zone ability Thomas has BUT...with work he can be an adequate 2 way player given his skillset, it's up to him to get there though.

You seem extremely confident in Thomas, and I mostly share it. He didnt do much when elevated to a higher line, like when he was put with Schwartz and Schenn.

Reactions: CCBC and Weiss1604

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
At this point, my observation is your just biased against Kyrou.....idk why. There isn't much of an argument against him struggling in the NHL, because he did but his main chances were when the Blues were bad. Then it was hit or miss with no consistency to his line or playing time(his fault). Imagine the pressure the guy feels knowing a mistake parks him on the bench. I can empathize with him struggling and over thinking the game. Thomas had these struggles too but he had no choice but to iron it out in the NHL. If I soley watch him this season and nothing before, I'd largely walk away unimpressed by Thomas. That's not the case though, I'm very familiar with his skills. From a pure offensive perspective, Kyrou is at his level or higher. He does what Thomas does at higher speeds. I'd agree that he doesn't have the 3 zone ability Thomas has BUT...with work he can be an adequate 2 way player given his skillset, it's up to him to get there though.

You seem extremely confident in Thomas, and I mostly share it. He didnt do much when elevated to a higher line, like when he was put with Schwartz and Schenn.
Obviously I'm not an NHL scout, but I watch a heckuva lotta hockey and see Thomas as future star. I don't see that in Kyrou. Hope I am right on Thomas and wrong on Kyrou. I'm a Blues fan and would rather Kyrou be a great player than me be right.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Obviously I'm not an NHL scout, but I watch a heckuva lotta hockey and see Thomas as future star. I don't see that in Kyrou. Hope I am right on Thomas and wrong on Kyrou. I'm a Blues fan and would rather Kyrou be a great player than me be right.
Did you watch him through Sarnia/AHL? Because if your viewing is strictly NHL, then yes...it wouldnt be good. I've watched alot of both and offensively they are both top 6 talents. Thomas has the higher floor as he is already a good 3 zone player. I'd agree that Kyrou may not get there but that may have more to do with Thomas developing in London and Kyrou developing in Sarnia where he was the point producer.

San Antonio and Tim Taylor are pleased with Kyrou, it may take a little more time, but I'd wager he's a top 6 talent for Stl for years to come.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

Thomas's improvement in the second half is the key to the success of the Maroon-Bozak-Thomas line. Prior to that, Maroon was underwhelming and Bozak was just solid; the difference for those guys was Thomas's emergence. It's possible Thomas would have destroyed the AHL and then would have been just as good when called up later in the year, but it's also possible that learning on the job is what made it work.

I don't think Thomas "mostly sucked ass" or raised his expected ceiling. If anything, I think he probably just raised his floor.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Man, not much Dominik Bokk talk in the Dominik Bokk thread lately.

Didnt attend myself, but heard the he was impressive at prospects camp. I'm hoping for a good year this year from him. Excited for his future for sure.
He certainly looked head and shoulders above everyone else. He's got tantalizing talent that would serve him well in the top-6 of any NHL team. However, he was also playing in a professional league as compared to everyone else besides Kostin. I don't think it's a surprise that both he and Kostin looked demonstrably better than their counterparts given they have both been taught proper defensive structuring and reads. I'm not using this as to say I wasn't impressed with Bokk, but more that I don't think this camp was really suited for him and Kostin as much. They know how quick and intense the games become, so this camp against individuals that are more trying to show off for contracts wasn't the best test for them. Frankly, they have other matters that they are probably focused on.

With all that said, I loved the Bokk pick at the time and he has shown me no reason to not love it now.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Thomas's improvement in the second half is the key to the success of the Maroon-Bozak-Thomas line. Prior to that, Maroon was underwhelming and Bozak was just solid; the difference for those guys was Thomas's emergence. It's possible Thomas would have destroyed the AHL and then would have been just as good when called up later in the year, but it's also possible that learning on the job is what made it work.

I don't think Thomas "mostly sucked ass" or raised his expected ceiling. If anything, I think he probably just raised his floor.
I wasnt trying to get at that, the 2 had different development paths. Thomas did become a solid player for us, but if Kyrou was forced into the NHL too...who's to say we wouldnt be fawning over him too

Blues0307

May 25, 2009
St. Louis

Come again? Talk about being flat out wrong...

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Come again? Talk about being flat out wrong...
3/4 of the year, he was not very good. Limited ice time and being scratched. He struggled with the NHL, and that's fine. He was 19 but it's not very fair to criticize Kyrou for struggling but ignore Thomas's struggles. One just had the option to be sent down and the other didnt.

Reactions: JoshFromMO

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
3/4 of the year, he was not very good. Limited ice time and being scratched. He struggled with the NHL, and that's fine. He was 19 but it's not very fair to criticize Kyrou for struggling but ignore Thomas's struggles. One just had the option to be sent down and the other didnt.
My last comment on Thomas in this thread (sorry Bokk). But the entire point is the trajectory of this year and where he ended up during the latter part and the way he elevated his game (and his line) in the playoffs. Yes, as a teenager. Who cares how bad he was the first half of his rookie season? The incredible growth he showed is my entire point. I do think it showed him to be more likely to reach his ceiling after showing that. He established himself as an NHL player.

Contrast that with Tage Thompson’s first year. He had glimmers, ups and downs, but it sure didn’t feel like such a steep growth trajectory. He didn’t really do anything to reassure us that he’d reach his ceiling. It was “the jury is still out”. But Thomas has made a much different statement.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
If Kyrou had been allowed to play through his growing pains like Thomas, we'd all be talking about him. I agree with @Dbrownss. Thomas didn't look very good for much of the year.

There were a few plays Kyrou made that were really nice. Just never given much of an opportunity largely because there were better options for the team and for him.

Reactions: Dbrownss

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012

I like Kyrou a lot but I completely disagree with the bolded. Kyrou has a nasty one-T and can shoot off the rush at a high speed. But don’t think for a second he has near the playmaking ability, overall puck control, puck protection ability and vision that Thomas has offensively. I actually think they’d be awesome on a line together in the future given their skill sets.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I like Kyrou a lot but I completely disagree with the bolded. Kyrou has a nasty one-T and can shoot off the rush at a high speed. But don’t think for a second he has near the playmaking ability, overall puck control, puck protection ability and vision that Thomas has offensively. I actually think they’d be awesome on a line together in the future given their skill sets.
Then we disagree I guess.

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I mean....I am right and that poster is wrong :dunno:
tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks