Prospect Info: Dominik Bokk (2018 Draft - 25th overall)

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Him playing in the SHL this coming year and then in the AHL the following year is probably the best plan of action going forward.

Agreed. I’m fine with that as the SHL is a good pro league. It’s certainly higher competition than the Dub.

I’m curious though, does anyone know why Bokk would’ve come over if an OHL team had drafted him instead of a WHL team? What’s this kid have against Western Canada? I’d say the OHL is a slight notch above but they’re both very good Jr leagues. I’m fine with the path he’s taken but there’s also good advantages of playing Major Jrs too.

Reactions: The Note in MI

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Agreed. I’m fine with that as the SHL is a good pro league. It’s certainly higher competition than the Dub.

I’m curious though, does anyone know why Bokk would’ve come over if an OHL team had drafted him instead of a WHL team? What’s this kid have against Western Canada? I’d say the OHL is a slight notch above but they’re both very good Jr leagues. I’m fine with the path he’s taken but there’s also good advantages of playing Major Jrs too.
From what I know, he discussed with his agent and they decided that Prince Albert wasn't an option since he wanted to play in the OHL. For what reasons, I'm not sure.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I agree, he has a very good shot.

I don't think the average fan here understands how much of a **** show scouting actually is. Even good talent evaluators can come away with notably different impressions of the same prospect, and you're probably not seeing a guy like this play that many times, so your impressions can also vary significantly based on which games you happen to catch.
Having done scouting in the past for college teams, this very true. Different games can influence impressions on players due to the style of each game and what situations they find themselves in. Multiple times I've watched a kid struggle in one game at a tournament, but the next game he is noticeably different.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

Like any of our prospects, I would love to see him play a year or two in London in the OHL.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Saw an interesting observation in regards to Bokk, and unfortunately don't remember who made it, that junior players from non-hockey power countries (Germany, Denmark, France, etc.. ) tend to underperform their talent level in first year they play in hockey power country (Sweden, USHL, Canadian Jrs, etc..). Reason is they are used to dominating lesser talent back home and don't really understand how hard they need to work and compete in order to live up to their talent. This lines up with some of the negative comments we saw on him "not engaged", "perimeter player", etc.. He never had to work hard or get his nose dirty to be best player on ice until he arrived in Sweden. Based on his talent, there is real chance he now knows what he needs to do and makes great strides to be real quality SHL player next year and folks will start to regret not taking him with earlier picks.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Main board thread, where large portion of this post was taken:
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/rw-dominik-bokk-växjö-lakers-superelit-2018-25th-stl.2141413/

——————

Sick dekes in this video.

Ostoppbar serieledare - Växjö vann slaget

———————

Full game with 3G 2A
#26 in red
09.55 secondary assist
54.10 goal
1.10.55 goal
1.48.38 primary assist
1.55.10 goal
boarding-penalty 1.41.45
VIDEO: DNL Endrunde Spiel um Platz 3 - Kölner EC 'Die Haie' vs. Düsseldorfer EG

——————

Full game

——————

——————

Elite Prospects - Dominik Bokk – a German that shunned the Draisaitl route

——————

First SHL goal

——————

Highlights
Bokk-Power: Dominik Bokk 2017-18 Highlights - 2018 NHL Draft Prospect (HD)

Last edited:

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
Main board thread, where large portion of this post was taken:
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/rw-dominik-bokk-växjö-lakers-superelit-2018-25th-stl.2141413/

——————

Sick dekes in this video.

Ostoppbar serieledare - Växjö vann slaget

———————

Full game with 3G 2A

VIDEO: DNL Endrunde Spiel um Platz 3 - Kölner EC 'Die Haie' vs. Düsseldorfer EG

——————

Full game

——————

——————

Elite Prospects - Dominik Bokk – a German that shunned the Draisaitl route

——————

First SHL goal

——————

Highlights
Bokk-Power: Dominik Bokk 2017-18 Highlights - 2018 NHL Draft Prospect (HD)

He's got a great release. He might score a goal or two

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The more I read about this guy, the more I really like this pick. Definitely fits our needs.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I keep seeing people say he isn't fast but from any clips I've seen it doesnt seem like his speed is really a weak part of his game. He may not be super fast but he certainly isn't anywhere near Berglund or Steen levels of slow.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I keep seeing people say he isn't fast but from any clips I've seen it doesnt seem like his speed is really a weak part of his game. He may not be super fast but he certainly isn't anywhere near Berglund or Steen levels of slow.
It's odd. Some write-ups say his skating is subpar while others say it is a strength. I feel like BA said he was strong skater in draft interview withe Strickland.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I forget who said it but one of the analysts on draft day said something to effect of him having excellent acceleration but just average top speed or slightly above.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
They talked about his short choppy first step that hinders his explosiveness and acceleration. His straight line speed they found to be average.

I personally think his acceleration is fine from what few viewings I have seen. He does have a choppy stride but it’s part of what makes him shifty. Jaden Schwartz has choppy moves and the dude is elusive as anyone.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Just from watching what little I can currently find he seems very much like Kyrou with a better release and maybe a little better puck handling/dangling. He also seems to have a pick pocket like attribute but I suspect that he is inconsistent in how he uses it.

So we got Swedish datsyuk :eek::naughty:

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Look for Bokk to get drafted in the CHL import draft today. Rumblings are that the Windsor Spitfires are his destination, but it’s a draft so who knows. I didn’t realize it but apparently his rights were released by Prince Albert, so he can re-enter. It will be interesting to see if he goes back to Sweden if he goes to a favorable team in the OHL.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Look for Bokk to get drafted in the CHL import draft today. Rumblings are that the Windsor Spitfires are his destination, but it’s a draft so who knows. I didn’t realize it but apparently his rights were released by Prince Albert, so he can re-enter. It will be interesting to see if he goes back to Sweden if he goes to a favorable team in the OHL.
London, London, London <fingers crossed>

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Wow, Windsor passed on Bokk. They took a goalie, which they really needed, but I’m a little surprised by that. London is up at 42 (draft is at 32 right now), but he’ll have to make it through Oshawa, Niagara, and Kingston to get there.

He also might not get taken at all, what do I know

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad