Does anyone still think Marner is better than Matthews?

Leafs best player

• Total voters

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I guess it's perception but he appeared to me to be the most obvious quitter on the team in the weeks leading up to Babcocks firing.
I don't think he quits on anyone. What I do think is he has games and even small stretched of games where he looks completely uninterested or unmotivated. Under Keefe for instance I do not know if any of you stayed up really late and watched the 3 west coast games but I did. He absolutely sucked in those games. Then he will go play a game like against Tampa at home where you watch it and go holy h*ll maybe he is da world #1. Why does that occur? How does that occur? Personally I don't get it. I saw more consistency from Willy in past 2 months TBH.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
goals should be worth 1.5 points first assist 1 point second assist 0.5 points. So Matthews.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
McDavid's Contract at that time was 25% more than the highest contract.
I know it is easy to say Matthews is not a team player....but from this past season when the team seemed to give up on Babs, he was the only one who was performing, he was leading the team, he was our best players and his 200ft game is back.

To me, having Matthews current deal expired before McDavid and others are great b/c we get to sign him before McDavid's next deal and we are paying him for more of his prime years.

I also dont understand why folks always seem to forget that the salary cap has continuously rising, meaning its more accurste to think of contracts in terms of cap% than total dollars (Matthews contract of course was much less than McDavid in both accounts).

Ie Ovechkin made 9.5 million in 2009 against a cap of like 50ish million....

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Sigh. I guess I'm happy you actually said it as opposed to the posters who will never admit it but the bias is in the subtext of their every comment.

Unsigh.

Even though I have a bias for Canadian players, because I'm Canadian, I am always still 100% objective in terms of grading players.

I don't let nationality enter the equation when it comes to such making determinations, rather it is an under layer of what I would prefer if I had my druthers.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Sigh. I guess I'm happy you actually said it as opposed to the posters who will never admit it but the bias is in the subtext of their every comment.

Unsigh.

Even though I have a bias for Canadian players, because I'm Canadian, I am always still 100% objective in terms of grading players.

I don't let nationality enter the equation when it comes to such making determinations, rather it is an under layer of what I would prefer if I had my druthers.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I do as Marner I think Marner is the better play maker by a mile and has the ability to score 30 plus. Marner is the more complete player for me but I can see I'm in minority.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I do as Marner I think Marner is the better play maker by a mile and has the ability to score 30 plus. Marner is the more complete player for me but I can see I'm in minority.

He had that nice goal against SJ, before that though didn't he have like 3 goals in 15 games or something like that. 2 of them being against Buffalo. Potential for 30 goals yeah, but he needs some more consistency.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
He had that nice goal against SJ, before that though didn't he have like 3 goals in 15 games or something like that. 2 of them being against Buffalo. Potential for 30 goals yeah, but he needs some more consistency.
I think consistency is not Marner's problem at all but he does need to shoot more. For me he's motoring every shift but you can't say that for Matthews. For me Matthews stands around too much and just relies on his shot which I must agree is one of the best in league. Matthews obviously just has more natural ability but for me doesn't put forward the effort Marner does.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Matthews is our best player by a country mile. Marner is a hell of a hockey player and should dominate next year (this year was rough) but Matthews is a force of nature.

Shanny said that Matthews has the talent to lead the league in scoring and win a Selke trophy. Marner might have an Art Ross in him, but he'll never win the Selke because of his position and his defensive game isn't anything special at ES. Matthews took an absolutely gargantuan leap there this year. Sure, Marner PK's but he's not particularly effective at it.

Reactions: kb and stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I think consistency is not Marner's problem at all but he does need to shoot more. For me he's motoring every shift but you can't say that for Matthews. For me Matthews stands around too much and just relies on his shot which I must agree is one of the best in league. Matthews obviously just has more natural ability but for me doesn't put forward the effort Marner does.
This is just completely wrong.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Let me preface before making my hockey related statement that hockey quite frankly given the current scenario regarding COVID doesn't really mean much when lives are at stake

That said, Marner may not have performed as well as he did last season; but IMO he is still the 2nd best player after Matthews on the team.

Marner just couldn't find his mojo for some reason this season, he had his ankle injury and then he kind of slowed down after a slow start that was heating up just in time too.

Marner's PPG is still pretty good.

Let's not claim that Marner isn't good. Marner may not be better than Matthews but he is still very valuable to the team. Only problem is not only Marner's cap hit but also Matthews's cap hit and term.

If you really want to point fingers point them at Dubas the moron

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Unsigh.

You can be biased and 100% objective at the same time? That's a skill, my friend.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Mitch has many games too where he takes them off. As does Matty. But so does everyone else in league including McJesus. The real question I guess is who has da fewest. And this is a question not answered by goals and assists. But bottom line it really does not matter. What matters is da overall team performance. So to me your top dogs set da table. Fans and other guys on team see it. It is no mystery that Leafs sh*t da bed on Cali trip because Matty stunk. Does not mean he is not a great player, best on team and my fav. He is.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
In the 2018-2019 season Marner was definitely our best player. He created the most offense and worked harder/defended better than matthews.

For this current season Matthews has taken a step forward and Marner a step back imo so Matthews was our best player.

If Marner can reach his potential and become a dominant play driver than i think he can be better. Im of the opinion that elite playmakers can create more goals than elite goal scorers for the team.

And before you attack me about Marner, believe me im the biggest Marner fan of them all, i have a London Knights marner jersey.
I know hes getting his points but hes bobbling the puck, making too many turnovers and no look passes this season, hes not on his game.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There was a brief moment on the last Leafs Report podcast where Mirtle briefly and Jonas briefly discussed Marner and an interesting tidbit was they seemed to suggest Marners attitude around the rink wqs different this season. That he was more tense ect snd they implied the seemingly tough negotiations (that also ended up in public at times) may have impacted his game.

Here's hoping the further we get away from that period, the smoother his transition is to being the players hes capable.l of.

His game definitely didnt look this season like he was playing at his fullest potential. Nonetheless i wouldnt bet against a talent like his - even during an off season he still put up points when not driving play

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Marner has matched Matthews in production value over 4 years each. Not many match Matthews scoring goals. Thats good! Marner is a setup machine. Not many match that league wide either. There are lots of great passers and scorers on other teams but not many have the combo of Marner/ Matthews on the same line/team.

This Robertson kid coming along is a left winger that scores goal at lower level at Matthews level and could as soon as next year see left wing duty on Matthews line. Marner playing with two threats like that will likely afford a premier playmaker with more space on the ice.

Matthews and Marner are still developing is either being missed or dismissed. These guys are going to get better in there complete game over a couple more years. Thats what dubas could build for with regards to a cup run.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
There was a brief moment on the last Leafs Report podcast where Mirtle briefly and Jonas briefly discussed Marner and an interesting tidbit was they seemed to suggest Marners attitude around the rink wqs different this season. That he was more tense ect snd they implied the seemingly tough negotiations (that also ended up in public at times) may have impacted his game.

Here's hoping the further we get away from that period, the smoother his transition is to being the players hes capable.l of.

His game definitely didnt look this season like he was playing at his fullest potential. Nonetheless i wouldnt bet against a talent like his - even during an off season he still put up points when not driving play

Marner had the same case of the yips this year that Nylander did last year. Their contracts scared them and they stopped playing their games as they tried to live up to expectations. Nylander's success this year should serve as a good indication that time will help him get back on track.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

marner is the person to blame for the fan reaction to him. He took it personally. Which I get, but If he is so obtuse that he can’t see that

1.) hiring the most confrontational agent in the league
2.) having his father be a mouthpeice on the radio comparing him to Mcdavid
3.) having dreger report he was considering offer sheets.

was not going to affect his image he is nuts. I wonder if it’s long term. I mean time heals most wounds. But they made numerous references to how he was with the fanbase. He may end up wanting out.

who knows. We will have paid half his contract by whatever version of July 1 is this year....

Maybe he gets his wish and goes to Columbus

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Unfortunately, most seem to have a mixed up opinion.

Goal scorers are not automatically better than play makers.

Play makers create more goals for their team than goal scorers.

Mitch is a team player and a winner.

The same can not be said for auston.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
The gap in pay between matthews and marner should be larger than the what $700000? that it is.

Marners pay was unjustified and it could set a precedence for upcoming ufas like reilly to go out and get the maximum instead of being reasonable.

if i was Nylander i would be upset suiting up everyday. The gap between him and Marner is not 4 million per year.

This why some teams wont allow players to exceed the price of their top players.

Marner got paid like a UFA not an RFA. He got paid more than he would have been offersheeted. Who is gonna pay 4-1sts and 11 million for Marner? That is one hell of a price for a 1st line winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad