Does anyone still think Marner is better than Matthews?

Leafs best player

• Total voters

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Different players at different stages of their careers.

Neither are proven winners.

Let's give them a couple seasons as mature players before we decide.
That's kind of an unfair comment the way you phrased it.

Yes it's true that neither of them have won a Stanley Cup in Toronto, however Matthews has a Calder Trophy on his resume and Marner has won a Memorial Cup/Memorial Cup MVP, OHL Championship/OHL playoff MVP and OHL regular season MVP. So they have won somethings in their careers.

Using your logic other players like Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl aren't proven winners since they haven't won a Stanley Cup as well. However they have had personal success such as McDavid winning the Hart Trophy in 2017, Ted Lindsay Award in 2017 and 2018, and the Art Ross in 2017 and 2018. Draisaitl is also the most recent winner of he Art Ross in 2020 and looks to be the favourite for the Hart Trophy this year.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That's kind of an unfair comment the way you phrased it.

Yes it's true that neither of them have won a Stanley Cup in Toronto, however Matthews has a Calder Trophy on his resume and Marner has won a Memorial Cup/Memorial Cup MVP, OHL Championship/OHL playoff MVP and OHL regular season MVP. So they have won somethings in their careers.

Using your logic other players like Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl aren't proven winners since they haven't won a Stanley Cup as well. However they have had personal success such as McDavid winning the Hart Trophy in 2017, Ted Lindsay Award in 2017 and 2018, and the Art Ross in 2017 and 2018. Draisaitl is also the most recent winner of he Art Ross in 2020 and looks to be the favourite for the Hart Trophy this year.

Perhaps I was harsh, but I don't care what they did before the NHL. Some of the Leafs have won as professionals, the Calder in the AHL but again I'm more interested in the NHL results.

Yes, I'm happy Matthews was awarded best 1st. year player. Leafs haven't had much to crow about recently.

And the players involved are marner and Matthews, so not sure how Draisaitl and McDavid come into the discussion, and you could include lots of players in the same boat(never won a Stanley).

Not only have neither won a Stanley Cup, neither has won a single round in the playoffs. Acknowledging it is a team game.

I should emphasize, the main point is they are still very young hopefully with ceiling yet to reach.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Perhaps I was harsh, but I don't care what they did before the NHL. Some of the Leafs have won as professionals, the Calder in the AHL but again I'm more interested in the NHL results.

Yes, I'm happy Matthews was awarded best 1st. year player. Leafs haven't had much to crow about recently.

And the players involved are marner and Matthews, so not sure how Draisaitl and McDavid come into the discussion, and you could include lots of players in the same boat(never won a Stanley).

Not only have neither won a Stanley Cup, neither has won a single round in the playoffs. Acknowledging it is a team game.

I should emphasize, the main point is they are still very young hopefully with ceiling yet to reach.
I mentioned McDavid and Draisaitl because they have won more individual awards since coming into the NHL. However just like Matthews and Marner none of them has won a Stanley Cup which is the ulitmiate goal in the end. Yes the Oilers did make the second round of the 2017 playoffs, however they still failed to advance in Game 7 against the Ducks.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I mentioned McDavid and Draisaitl because they have won more individual awards since coming into the NHL. However just like Matthews and Marner none of them has won a Stanley Cup which is the ulitmiate goal in the end. Yes the Oilers did make the second round of the 2017 playoffs, however they still failed to advance in Game 7 against the Ducks.

yes and iirc draisaitl shone brighter for the Oilers, but he isn't their best.

I don't know who I would take out of draisaitl, marner or matthews... leaning towards matthews.

I wonder if marner could be their next keon.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't know who I would take out of draisaitl, marner or matthews... leaning towards matthews.
I would also go with Matthews because his career started with his 40 goals during the 2016-17 season.

On the other hand at the start of his career it seemed that Draisaitl couldn't produce without McDavid and here are some examples of that.

During the 2014-15 season Draisaitl had 2 Goals, 7 Assists, 9 Points in 37 Games played.

When McDavid was a rookie during the 2015-16 season he happened to get injured and since he couldn't ride shotgun on his line, his stats was 19 Goals, 32 Assists, 51 Points in 72 Games played.

However during the 2016-17 season playing with McDavid all of the sudden Draisaitl is able to put up 29 Goals, 48 Assists, 77 Points in 82 Games played.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I would also go with Matthews because his career started with his 40 goals during the 2016-17 season.

On the other hand at the start of his career it seemed that Draisaitl couldn't produce without McDavid and here are some examples of that.

During the 2014-15 season Draisaitl had 2 Goals, 7 Assists, 9 Points in 37 Games played.

When McDavid was a rookie during the 2015-16 season he happened to get injured and since he couldn't ride shotgun on his line, his stats was 19 Goals, 32 Assists, 51 Points in 72 Games played.

However during the 2016-17 season playing with McDavid all of the sudden Draisaitl is able to put up 29 Goals, 48 Assists, 77 Points in 82 Games played.

No doubt playing with McDavid/marner/Matthews/Draisaitl will impact your point production.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'd expect Matthews to be better when most of the considerations are equal. Things aren't always equal though (ex. injuries affecting GP).

Reactions: LeafsNation75

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
two very different players... who's the better player? that's a tough question to answer and a good problem to have.
IMO both players are in that elite tier and neither are even in their prime yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad