Does anyone still think Marner is better than Matthews?

Leafs best player

• Total voters

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Not really, but still voted for him. :D I guess he'll bounce back next season like WN did this, not that he was bad, but we all know he can be much better. Maybe not AM good, but not as far behind as this season.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So last summer a fair number were claiming Marner was better than Auston when the contract numbers came out. I'm curious now that Auston has had his breakout season if opinions have changed. Full disclosure I am a Matthews man.

Marner was never better than Matthews unless points is the only measure by which a player is judged.

Matthews is a elite goal scoring #1C and nobody on the planet would trade Matthews for Marner in a straight up 1-1 deal. This is always a good test to see who is better or more valuable.

A goal scorer is more independent in his point production and a playmaker is highly reliant on the other players putting the puck in the net to drive their point production.

Doesn't mean Marner is not a good player in his own right, but he isn't on Matthews level.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Mitch had a better 2018-19
Matthews better this year.
Matthews always was going to be #1 Leaf due to the position he plays.

Pretty damn good 1-2 to sit back and watch for years to come!

Reactions: Bigmarycombo

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Also you can't say Marner has higher upside as he makes players around him better. Matthews does the same thing.
The more logical debate was Nylander vs Marner. When you look at Nylander's season this season, that is more of a fair question.
Matthews vs Marner is not a debate. Matthews was always better by a good amount.

Reactions: MJK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad