Does anyone else hate hockey slang?

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Twisted wrister is another one that needs to be buried in a concrete tomb and thrown into the ocean and then have the ocean launched into outer space

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Guess you must hate ‘On the Bench’ then :laugh:

It’s juat something for the kids isn’t it, like almost all other types of slang.

No biggy, it’s jusr tryinf to make out what some of those words mean every now and again :laugh:

What kids? Kids from the country in Canada? I don't know any kids in the US that would have this nonsense resonate with.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure a good chunk of the "annoying" terms are done tongue in cheek. They're meant to be obnoxious.

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
I feel like this problem is irrelevant compared to the so called "damage" Gary Bettman has caused over the years. But to answer your question, I don't think hockey slang is bad at all. They use slang to make their commentating more "interesting".

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I find it sort of awkward when you have 40 year old social media managers using some of those words when they post to TSN, Sportsnet, etc social accounts

As someone who works in publishing, I highly, highly doubt there are any 40 year old social media managers at those companies. It's a ground-floor entry level position that usually goes to recent grads.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
You mean you don’t like it when Butch Goring says “He put it right in the toy department” ?

My favorite is when announcers refer to dirty rebound goals as “a dogs breakfast”

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
The new thing that I'm starting to hate is "WHEEL WHEEL".

Like literally, every team uses it. Copy much? I dont know who the hell started it, but why the hell is every team claiming it as their own.

COme up with some new ish

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The new thing that I'm starting to hate is "WHEEL WHEEL".

Like literally, every team uses it. Copy much? I dont know who the hell started it, but why the hell is every team claiming it as their own.

COme up with some new ish

Lol some guys on my ball hockey team use this one, it's like.....I'm running, okay? There's really not a lot of room in this gym. :laugh:

Steeze

Dazed Dilettante.
Jul 23, 2015
I dunno about slang, but I wish there'd be a little more imagination when it came to player nicknames.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
It's a pretty condescending attitude to take to act like those who have played the game are somehow on a higher level than those of us who haven't. Being honest, hockey slang just makes people sound like a Canadian redneck. I saw someone mention that the majority of people who use this type of slang are those who fizzled out around Jr. B or minor-pro, the types of people who live their lives thinking "If only that shot had have been 3 inches the other way, things would have been different for me." I think that's pretty much spot on.

Mark me down in the can't stand it column.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad