Does anyone else hate hockey slang?

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Does anyone else find irony in the fact that there are two active threads right now, one saying NHL players are boring off the ice and the league is suppressing their personalities and another complaining about hockey slang and how players are too corny when they actually try to show their personality?

This whole thread just screams "I don't understand and this is about me and what I like and dislike. Appeal to me because I speak for everyone!".

Last edited:
Reactions: snipes and DaveG

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Sometimes it irritates me. Especially when you're perusing IG and come across some garbage profile which encourages you to "Double tap and tag a friend with dusty wheels" or "Who would you give the stinky glove to, tag a friend" comes across as too forced and lame.

Some of the stuff is just dated too. Dirty greasy goal and that the like. That's 1995 Darren Pang ESPN 2 lingo. Let's move on.

And who the heck has ever called skates wheels? Those are rollerblades

Reactions: BonMorrison

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
old.jpg

This is pretty much the opposite of what I'm getting at. I think that this slang won't resonate with YOUNG people outside of hockey.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
It sounds stupid.
"Crap, I missed your goal. How'd you beat the goalie?"
"Oh, well I shot it above his glove, it hit the cross bar before going in a downward trajectory and into the net."

or

"Crap, I missed your goal. How'd you beat the goalie?"
"Bar down, glove side."

It's literally just explaining an action.

Reactions: McTrashBoat

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I find myself rolling my eyes and laughing a lot at player nicknames (mostly the ones that players give each other).

And it’s even funnier when posters use them too. They are all soooooooo bad.

‘Kaner’ was the one that had me rolling my eyes most recently. Just terrible

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Lamer than the slang is all of the unoriginal nicknames in the NHL. Let’s just add a “y” or “er” to part of someone’s name and call it a day.

What’s his name? Taylor Hall? Well his nickname is Hallsy. I’m going on break.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Obviously.

Everything in hockey talks seems to be 'obvious'. Begs for a question why they even interview players when everything is always so damn obvious.
Have you ever heard a Mike Tomlin press conference? "Obviously" is his favorite word, lol.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I find myself rolling my eyes and laughing a lot at player nicknames (mostly the ones that players give each other).

And it’s even funnier when posters use them too. They are all soooooooo bad.

‘Kaner’ was the one that had me rolling my eyes most recently. Just terrible

The lazy hockey nicknames always crack me up. Just dropping the last syllable and adding -er, or -y to the end of someone's name.

Kaner, Marchy, Bergy, Willy (Wilson), Simmer (Simmonds), Stammer, etc.

My personal favorite is "Horny" for Hornqvist, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad