Does anyone else hate hockey slang?

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Guess you must hate ‘On the Bench’ then :laugh:

It’s juat something for the kids isn’t it, like almost all other types of slang.

No biggy, it’s jusr tryinf to make out what some of those words mean every now and again :laugh:

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Everything in hockey talks seems to be 'obvious'. Begs for a question why they even interview players when everything is always so damn obvious.

Also, everyone is always excited.

Gets traded from a contender in a cool city to a bottom-feeder like Buffalo.
"Yeah, I'm obviously very excited to play here"

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
meh, when the guys who actually made it to the pros (or some sort of pros) then I feel like it fits. I don't really think most of the superstar guys really use it all that often.

Its more the guy who played like jr B/C or the guy who played a few seasons in the CHL and never made it that seem to be a bit annoying with it. Kind of comes across as douchebag culture but thats just my opinion.

As someone who has been around guys who have played at different levels, the better players actually seemed to be a bit more tame with their use of hockey culture things.

** I should add, I'm all for personality and actually promote that. I don't think these two topics are one in the same though, or at least from my experience.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Also, everyone is always excited.

Gets traded from a contender in a cool city to a bottom-feeder like Buffalo.
"Yeah, I'm obviously very excited to play here"

Lol. True. Obviously.

As a norm they are no PhD of Literacy on arrival. In best cases they earn some serious bucks a half decade or so, and then they do what every hockey player should do (if they still can). LMAO!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Silky mitts, celly, etc.

There's some that I'm ok with like "top shelf". But most of it is just so damn corny that it hurts. It's the opposite of cool. Mind you, I'm not quite down with the culture of other sports either. I don't think a choreographed celebration is necessary any time a touchdown happens in the NFL. But, the hockey slang seems like it's out of touch with young people today, maybe other than in some parts of Canada. And don't get me wrong I criticize millennials enough, but if the sport is to ever grow I don't know how corny slang used today will help. I cringe every time I hear this stuff.
Most things said these days is downright stupid. That said, I'm sure my parents thought things I said were downright stupid too.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
only one i cant stand is celly...sounds like a 50 year old trying to be cool.

and as someone who grew up in baseball, slang is normal. It's also fun

can of corn, texas leaguer, bronx cheer, bandbox, golden sombrero, frozen rope, nightcap, etc

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

AK87

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2012
Do as you wanna
Doesn't bother me as much as people on the forum using nicknames for players. With the exception of McDavid of course because Mc-Anything sounds bad ***

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->